Bringing a pet to Hawaii?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bringing a pet to Hawaii?

I dream of returning to Oahu for a long time but let myself get super attached to my sweet little Jackie Blue (cat). Having had to be part of rehoming two sweet dogs when the family was transferred there with military in 79, I know the pain and heartache of giving up an animal and probably couldn't choose to do so again.
    I need to know from anyone who with the past 1 month to 2 or 3 years how much ALL TOTAL it cost to vaccinate your animal (preferably cat) to the amount as required by the State and then fly it over and forego the quarantine process, etc. etc. etc. Could anyone please help me know what to expect cost wise?? Please and many mahalo's!!!
    If anyone on Oahu is NOT happy , feel free to trade places with me.

Re: Putting this in Ohana because some of us feel our pets are our Ohana

What I hear:

HERE IS THE NUMBER TO ANIMAL QUARENTINE IN HAWAII...1-800-483-7143 THEY CAN ANSWER SOME OF YOUR QUESTIONS

also check out:

http://www.petflight.com/articles/4-...et-information

If that doesn't answer your questions, come back.
    Be Yourself. Everyone Else Is Taken!
    ~ ~
    Kaʻonohiʻulaʻokahōkūmiomioʻehiku
    Spreading the virus of ALOHA.
    Oh Chu. If only you could have seen what I've seen, with your eyes.

Comment

I am hoping to get first hand account of someone who has very recently brought a cat over. I've seen the list of shots and such the animal has to have and other things to prove it has no rabies but I am curious to know about other costs as well.
      Mahalo for the links!!

Comment

Hi. Use the link Kaonohi provided and get a list of all the vaccinations, chipping and exams needed. Then call your vet for the prices in your area.

As for airline costs, it depends on if you are going to do cargo or onboard. (I think Alaska Airlines does onboard).

Whatever the cost, it has to be cheaper than the old way of a mandatory 120 day quarantine.

Good luck with your research and move.
        Now run along and play, but don’t get into trouble.

Comment

I would prefer on board since alot or airlines offer and allow it.
          I don't think Alaska Airlines would be an option coming from Oklahoma, lol!
          Mahalo!!

Comment

Originally posted by memorylane View Post
            I would prefer on board since alot or airlines offer and allow it.
            I don't think Alaska Airlines would be an option coming from Oklahoma, lol!
            Mahalo!!
            Please give us an update when you get a list of airlines that allow onboard animals to Hawaii. Thanks.

Comment

That would be this http://www.petflight.com/airlines part of the very link you gave me. Is it incorrect? It must be seeing how the animal has to go straight to everything it goes thru for as little as 5 days.

I posted the same query on yahoo answers and was given this:

Just sent my daughter's cat there a week ago! Go to their website (look up hawaii quarantine station) and get the requirements. It takes a lot of planning, and the expense wasn't as bad as I thought. The condensed version: cat must have two rabies vaccines and be microchipped. After the second vaccine, blood is drawn and sent to the University of Kansas for a rabies titer test. This was less than $200 including Fed-Ex overnight shipping on ice. They forward the results to Hawaii. When it gets closer to the time that you will be going, you need to send the two original rabies certificates and a notarized ($5) import form to the quarantine station along with a payment of $165 for direct airport release. Ten days or less prior to his flight, you need a health certificate from the vet (cost is a vet exam) and he must be flea and tick treated with something containing fipronil (Frontline Plus).

He MUST fly cargo as Hawaii does not allow animals to enter (just as we suspected) any other way as they will go directly to the quarantine station. You need to purchase a suitable carrier (must screw together, be a certain size, etc) and coop cups for food and water. Total cost was about $145. Not all airlines will ship animals as cargo - United and Continental have a special PetSafe service where the animals are shipped in a pressurized and temperature controlled hold. and they have strict requirements about which flights the animal is on - must be a direct flight or one stop only. The cost of shipping him was $310.

It went well (better than her flight, actually) and he arrived in fine shape. He was actually better off in his large carrier for a flight that long than stuffed under the seat as carry on baggage. Since his paperwork was done correctly, it took her an entire 5 minutes to check him out at the quarantine station.

It will be ever so much simpler to bring him back when she returns to the states in three years, but in the meantime she's got her beloved cat there with her! Worth every penny
              Source(s):
              many years of cat rescue (and actually sending a cat to Oahu!)

Awesome account of the process no?

Comment

I would prefer on board since alot or airlines offer and allow it. I don't think Alaska Airlines would be an option coming from Oklahoma, lol!
                [Quoted from your link]
                He MUST fly cargo ...
                You posted that you preferred onboard for your pet. Pets CAN come in to Hawaii, it is just doing it onboard is the problem. Your link gave a "generic" list of airlines and their policies, but if you go to the actual airline, you'll find details that probably say "no" to onboard to Hawaii.

For example, Hawaiian Airline's site states "not accepted on flights into Hawaiib, except for service animals".

That why I was asking you, what other airlines besides Alaska did you find that will allow onboard pets into Hawaii?

Continued good luck with your planning.
                Last edited by Amati; July 14, 2012, 07:24 PM.

Comment

I guess I misunderstood about the definition of on board and ONBOARD, LOL!

Comment

Humm, yeah, I guess it is actually a choice between "cargo" and "onboard".

Comment

Re: Bringing a pet to Hawaii?

Wouldn't be much of a "choice" if there are people there to whisk the pet away to follow procedure and not trusting the owner to bring the pet exactly where it is supposed to be.

Comment

I had friends who, many years ago, smuggled their small dog on the plane in LA and off the plane in Honolulu. Gutsy. They asked me to help them on the HNL end. I refused!

Comment

Used to be for onboard pets, they was taken off the plane by the quarantine folks.

I also know someone who "smuggled" in a small dog, but that was years before all the pre-boarding airport screening.

Comment

ROFL!! I could so see myself doing that with a fake pg belly to stick mr. kitty inside of. Good test to see just how well they pay attention to xrays!!

Comment

Despite the age of this post I know people still have questions and concerns.
                              This has been an interesting and controversial subject in Hawaii for many years. As I am not for sure about the cost I can say I have heard the process for animals to be quarantined entering Hawaii has completely been overhauled from the days of your pet spending a mandatory 60 days on Oahu in jail.
                              I have been told by a friend from Oregon they paid less $150 for their cat while the entire process was handled by their locally licensed veterinarian. However despite the cost there are many guidelines that must be met and can be addressed on the Hawaii.Gov website here - the site has every form needed and details a lot of information. I also know laws have changed for pet owners that have pets for psychological conditions as well. you can now see pets riding in shopping carts through your grocery store for such hardship cases.

http://hdoa.hawaii.gov/ai/aqs/animal...ormation-page/
                              BODA

Comment

Working...
                              X