Thread: Bringing a pet to Hawaii?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Question Bringing a pet to Hawaii?

I dream of returning to Oahu for a long time but let myself get super attached to my sweet little Jackie Blue (cat). Having had to be part of rehoming two sweet dogs when the family was transferred there with military in 79, I know the pain and heartache of giving up an animal and probably couldn't choose to do so again.
    I need to know from anyone who with the past 1 month to 2 or 3 years how much ALL TOTAL it cost to vaccinate your animal (preferably cat) to the amount as required by the State and then fly it over and forego the quarantine process, etc. etc. etc. Could anyone please help me know what to expect cost wise?? Please and many mahalo's!!!
    If anyone on Oahu is NOT happy , feel free to trade places with me.

Wink Re: Putting this in Ohana because some of us feel our pets are our Ohana

What I hear:

HERE IS THE NUMBER TO ANIMAL QUARENTINE IN HAWAII...1-800-483-7143 THEY CAN ANSWER SOME OF YOUR QUESTIONS

also check out:

http://www.petflight.com/articles/4-...et-information

If that doesn't answer your questions, come back.
    Be Yourself. Everyone Else Is Taken!
    ~ ~
    Kaʻonohiʻulaʻokahōkūmiomioʻehiku
    Spreading the virus of ALOHA.
    Oh Chu. If only you could have seen what I've seen, with your eyes.

Default Re: Putting this in Ohana because some of us feel our pets are our Ohana

I am hoping to get first hand account of someone who has very recently brought a cat over. I've seen the list of shots and such the animal has to have and other things to prove it has no rabies but I am curious to know about other costs as well.
    Mahalo for the links!!

Default Re: Putting this in Ohana because some of us feel our pets are our Ohana

Hi. Use the link Kaonohi provided and get a list of all the vaccinations, chipping and exams needed. Then call your vet for the prices in your area.

As for airline costs, it depends on if you are going to do cargo or onboard. (I think Alaska Airlines does onboard).

Whatever the cost, it has to be cheaper than the old way of a mandatory 120 day quarantine.

Good luck with your research and move.
    Now run along and play, but donít get into trouble.

I would prefer on board since alot or airlines offer and allow it.
    I don't think Alaska Airlines would be an option coming from Oklahoma, lol!
    Mahalo!!

Quote Originally Posted by memorylane View Post
    I would prefer on board since alot or airlines offer and allow it.
    I don't think Alaska Airlines would be an option coming from Oklahoma, lol!
    Mahalo!!
    Please give us an update when you get a list of airlines that allow onboard animals to Hawaii. Thanks.
    Now run along and play, but donít get into trouble.

Default Re: Bringing a pet to Hawaii?

Despite the age of this post I know people still have questions and concerns.
    This has been an interesting and controversial subject in Hawaii for many years. As I am not for sure about the cost I can say I have heard the process for animals to be quarantined entering Hawaii has completely been overhauled from the days of your pet spending a mandatory 60 days on Oahu in jail.
    I have been told by a friend from Oregon they paid less $150 for their cat while the entire process was handled by their locally licensed veterinarian. However despite the cost there are many guidelines that must be met and can be addressed on the Hawaii.Gov website here - the site has every form needed and details a lot of information. I also know laws have changed for pet owners that have pets for psychological conditions as well. you can now see pets riding in shopping carts through your grocery store for such hardship cases.

http://hdoa.hawaii.gov/ai/aqs/animal...ormation-page/
    BODA

Default Re: Bringing a pet to Hawaii?

I also just recently traveled with my pet to Hawaii and so I can give you a couple of good tips.
    Make sure your pet is healthy. Check with your veterinarian and renew any shots that are due. Also, give your pet treatment of flea and tick medication. There may be parasites where you are headed that are different from where you live. Some parts of the country, especially wooded areas, may be infested with fleas and ticks.
    It is also worth taking good and high-quality food with you, which will be useful and will not spoil for a long time. I took Deramaxx and I can say with confidence that this is the best option