The Waikiki strip street performers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Waikiki strip street performers

Does anyone have any speculations on that those guys bring in on a typical weekend? Namely, the statue guys, silver, gold and newspaper but anyone else's take would suffice as well.
    If anyone on Oahu is NOT happy , feel free to trade places with me.

Re: The Waikiki strip street performers

That is a subculture I have a little experience in. . .it depends on the people. . .

Some places, the city actually pays a little just to have them at "stage locations", for others, it is an individual thing. Some, preform as groups(like a Guild) though they do their own thing on the street, pool the cash, and split it up evenly...like a lot of pick-pocket/piranha groups.

I am not sure that the performers on the strip are backed/funded by anything more than the people passing, but I am not sure. It might be a good way for some weekend money, but as for paying the bills, I am sure they have other things they do.
    flickr

An email from God:
    To: People of Earth
    Date: 9/04/2007
    Subject: stop

knock it off, all of you

seriously, what the hell

--
    God

Comment

I've auditioned a few street performers. One volunteered that he made approx. $100./night. He was a single dad supporting a young son and took his son everywhere with him. I remember being surprised that he made that much but concerned about his son and how he could support him in Hawaii. I don't think he worked every night and I don't remember him having a day job. There was no indication of additional funding beyond passers-by.

BTW...actress Q'orianka Kilcher got her start at a very young age street busking in Waikiki. Her mom moved the family to Santa Monica and Q'orianka was discovered busking at the 3rd St. Promenade, iirc.

Comment

Originally posted by tutusue View Post
        BTW...actress Q'orianka Kilcher got her start at a very young age street busking in Waikiki.
        Sorry to prove my obvious ignorance in such a public place Tutu, but what is "busking" in the vernacular? I've heard of "fusking" but not the former.
        Peace, Love, and Local Grindz

People who form FIRM opinions with so little knowledge only pretend to be open-minded. They select their facts like food from a buffet. David R. Dow

Comment

Originally posted by matapule View Post
          Sorry to prove my obvious ignorance in such a public place Tutu, but what is "busking" in the vernacular? I've heard of "fusking" but not the former.
          Busking means street performing. "Street busking" is a bit redundant. My bad!

Comment

I haven't heard of either busking or fusking, LOL!

I do know that at the least, the silver, gold and paper guys were there when my brother and I came in 04 and still there here in 12. Wow, 8 long years of doing that. Then there is the parrot guy who starts piling birds on you and then shoots a polaroid pic that you of course, then want to buy. He was on the strip in 04 but back in some off the beaten path now.
            If anyone on Oahu is NOT happy , feel free to trade places with me.

Comment

Working...
            X