Anyone with a digital photo frame?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone with a digital photo frame?

If you scanned photo's to your computer and the moved them to an SD card to the upload onto the frame, how if you did that is, were you able to make the photo fit the whole frame instead of that darn white space around every photo?
    If anyone on Oahu is NOT happy , feel free to trade places with me.

Re: Anyone with a digital photo frame?

I don't have any experience in digital photo frames but as a suggestion you might want to say what is the make and model of your digital photo frame.

Another thing to consider is the source of the white border. Is it from the digital photo frame or is already on the image on the SD card, in other words if you took that SD card and had the computer display the photo would the white border be there too?

Comment

Well, this one is a Philips 7 inch screen. There is already the border that so many framers like to use in framing but the white extra border that I have is from the scanning in process. In order to be able to see the picture, I had to play around alot with where to lie the photo before scanning to begin with. My guru son said I could get rid of the white border by previewing the scan first and then using the tools to crop the extra off but I knew that then, I would be back to the original problem of exact placement for the photo to show up in it's alloted space, LOL! Hope that made some sort of sense, I type like I talk.

Comment

Howdy.
        There are many types of photo frames on the market.
        The exact way a picture is displayed depends on the chip set, which decodes data
        and makes it visible .

Some digital picture frames can play video.
        The types of video these devices can play depends on the codec set
        various manufacturers acquired.

Comment

All the photos I took with disposable camera's this past March on Oahu that came back to me on CD's which I then uploaded to my computer and then onto a sd card are full size and the "right" way. Everything scanned are teeny tiny and I will either have to play with it some more to see if they could be zoomed in and then saved larger maybe.
          I also noticed that all the ones from Photobucket that I wanted on the frame are of horrible quality but did take up all the space as a regular photo should.
          Hmmmmm......

Comment

Mem, I sympathise with yer frustration. Just chalk it up as learning experience.
            You will figure it out.

I'm currently working on replacing the guts of a distributor of a cool old Camino.

I'm really out of my depth as regards engine repair , where there is a will there
            is a way.
            All the Best.

Comment

Originally posted by memorylane View Post
              Well, this one is a Philips 7 inch screen.
              According to the Philips web site they have 9 different models that have a 7 inch screen.

If you want to pursue dealing with settings on the photo frame you need to specify which model you have.

Comment

The El Camino thundered back to life with a healthy throaty roar.
                Hours of careful planning paid off.
                The vehicle is running and if I could drive to Hawaii , I would.

Comment

Thanks, lensperson. I'm sure that's going to come in real handy if memorylane ever decides to soup up her frame.

memorylane, what you need to do is crop those photos. Chances are, depending on your settings when you scanned the photos in, they're actually big enough to display okay, but your frame is resizing the images to fit the entire thing, borders included, in the frame.

There are a lot of ways to crop your images, and once you get the hang of it you'll find it pretty easy. Can you tell me what kind of computer you're using, and about how long you've had it? Most computers nowadays come with photo-editing software, and cropping images is one of the basic functions they all have.

If it turns out your machine doesn't have a decent photo-editor, there are some good online options. They'll take a little bit longer, but they'll do the job and you'll be pleased with the results. First tell me about the computer you're working on, and we'll go from there.

The model of your digital frame is almost surely irrelevant in this case. Helen meant well, but I know almost for sure that the issue is with the images the way they were scanned, not with the way the frame is looking at the images.
                  But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
                  GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

Looking back on this thread, I agree with Scrivener. (I hadn’t seen the part where Memorylane mentioned he had scanned the photos and left a white border around it.) All he has to do to get rid of it is to crop it with a photo editing software, preferably at the same aspect ratio as the digital frame.

Comment

Originally posted by memorylane View Post
                      Everything scanned are teeny tiny and I will either have to play with it some more to see if they could be zoomed in and then saved larger maybe.
                      generically speaking... you need to increase the resolution you are scanning at.

i don't know what scanning software you are using but try scanning at either 150dpi or 300dpi.

it really depends on what the original size of the photo is.

for example, if you are scanning in 4x6 photos you can safely scan in at 150dpi and that will allow you to display as a 4x6. if you need to enlarge it then scan at a higher dpi... try 300dpi.

just know that the higher the resolution the longer it will take to scan and more disc/storage space will be required.

hth!!!

joel

Comment

This is all true, but the higher resolution won't solve his or her problem. I am almost certain that memorylane scanned the photos but didn't select the images correctly in the scanning software. Most scanners now, when set correctly, will automatically select the images and define the scanning space, but it's possible not to know that. The fact that the borders mentioned in the original post are all white (and large) indicates to me that the scanner lid was down.

I stick to my original diagnosis. Cropping the images is the first step to solving this problem, not rescanning the images at a higher res.
                        But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
                        GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

i believe cropping is needed, too.

depending on the original a higher res might also be needed

joel

Comment

Here is an example of what is going on:

I have this box filled with all the photo's amassed thru the years. Sometimes I cut them to fit certain kinds of frames or simply just trimmed off all but the focal point. And then you have the old timey poloroids and 3x5's that you get a zillion of when you buy a package at Sears or Walfart.
                            But then photo's from a regular camera which was developed at a shop and loaded onto a disc adapted perfectly.
                            No worries and mahalo to all tips and tricks!!

Comment

Your photo confirms my suspicions. All you need to do is crop that file three times so that only the individual photos remain as three distinct new files. It sounds like you're now saying you don't want any help with this issue. Yes? No?
                              GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

Working...
                              X