Cloud Atlas

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Cloud Atlas

I'm probably seeing it again this evening. I agree with Honoruru about following thematic lines, and once I settled into that groove, I enjoyed the ride. There's something else, too (which is maybe part of the same idea): the way this film is cut, you also follow, across multiple stories, visual lines too. I want to see what I missed because I have a feeling it's even more clever than it first appears.
    But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
    GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

Totally dug it!!!
      Really like how the stories are told, the inter-connectivity, recurring themes, humor, strength of people, and how no good deed goes unpunished.
      Life is either an adventure... or you're not doing it right!!!

Comment

Part of me wants to see it again for a second time to catch the stuff that I missed the first time. Granted the dialouge in the "after the fall" timeline was the hardest to understand.

So did anyone seen it for the second time yet?

Comment

http://movies.yahoo.com/blogs/movie-...005030314.html

Cloud Atlas made it on this year's list.

Comment

Most disappointing movie list? Oh well... to each his own yeah?
            Life is either an adventure... or you're not doing it right!!!

Comment

Originally posted by helen View Post
              Part of me wants to see it again for a second time to catch the stuff that I missed the first time. Granted the dialouge in the "after the fall" timeline was the hardest to understand. So did anyone seen it for the second time yet?
              My wife and I read the book, and we read it together, something we'd never done before, and it was a special experience, as well as a great book. We were both excited and scared at the prospect of the film adaptation.

The first time we saw it, I came out giving it a solid 'B,' my wife giving it a grudging 'C.' But it was clear we were distracted throughout the film by where it differed from the book, particularly some significant changes in actual plot, let alone structure.

So we went back. And the second time, we loved it. We just let what was on screen wash over us, and curiously, while I could see how disorienting the story might be to someone without knowing the novel, that disorientation was actually okay. Integral, even. We upgraded our scores to 'A,' and can't wait for its DVD release.

Of course, we hope there was a lot of stuff that didn't make the final cut that was actually filmed. There has to be!

Comment

I saw the movie a second time. I liked it even more the second time around.

Comment

I saw it a third time, 'though that makes it only two-and-a-half viewings because of the tsunami. I like it better each time, too. But I still dislike the things about it I dislike.
                  But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
                  GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

Finally, have the book waiting for me at the library - will read the book, then decide about seeing the movie.
                    May I always be found beneath your contempt.

Comment

Read the book, may rent the movie someday. The book was just a collection of stories on a 'preachy' topic with a couple of gimmicks added to the mix. Not high literature, but not pulp either.

Comment

Okay, saw a Russian pirated copy. I say, stick with the book if you're interested at all in this title. There's nothing in the movie but a snippeted reminder of the book.

Comment

Working...
                        X