2012 Primary Election Day

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2012 Primary Election Day

Today is the Primary Election Day in Hawaii. In times past this was held in September but for this cycle it is in August.

In keeping with tradition, this thread is about the process of voting and your experinces in casting your ballot for today. If you already voted by absentee ballot you can relate your experience as well too.

Re: 2012 Primary Election Day

I voted from the beach. No muss...well, maybe a little sand on the ballot...no fuss. No privacy curtain. No line. I love voting in Hawaii!

Comment

The question is, will Ben win with the 51% needed to avoid a runoff, he's got a real chance to do it and then we'll find out the many shenanigans railroaders have been hiding from the public.
      https://www.facebook.com/Bobby-Ingan...5875444640256/

Comment

Just finished voting at Washington Middle School. There wasn't that much people there but I suspect it was still early in the day.

Comment

Ron - its 50% plus just one vote. Big difference!
          "Democracy is the only system that persists in asking the powers that be whether they are the powers that ought to be."
          – Sydney J. Harris

Comment

Even better, fingers crossed!
            https://www.facebook.com/Bobby-Ingan...5875444640256/

Comment

Originally posted by Ron Whitfield View Post
              The question is, will Ben win with the 51% needed to avoid a runoff, he's got a real chance to do it and then we'll find out the many shenanigans railroaders have been hiding from the public.
              Ben won't win the majority in the primary. There will be a general election matchup against either one of Carlisle or Caldwell.

Being pro-rail in sentiment, I'm more than okay with Ben finishing first in the primary. A big win today could make the uneducated segment of Cayetano's support base complacent and think that their man can coast to an easy victory in November, a la Charles Djou's big win in a runoff against the Democratic duo of Hanabusa and Case a couple of years ago. Well, Djou's supporters got a health dose of reality when the Democrats were united behind one candidate. And I think the same will happen when the rail proponents are likewise consolidated behind one person.
              This post may contain an opinion that may conflict with your opinion. Do not take it personal. Polite discussion of difference of opinion is welcome.

Comment

Voted early this morning. Things seemed to go faster than usual, though there were a number of spoiled ballots ahead of me, caused either because of ballot box malfunction or human error in the feeding of the ballots.

Now it's just waiting for the results (delayed because of something that happened on the Big Island).

Comment

Originally posted by helen View Post
                  If you already voted by absentee ballot you can relate your experience as well too.
                  That would be me... every year. I finally requested permanent absentee ballot status. I tend to have already made up my mind by now, anyway. I still honored the "process" by dropping off my ballot at the city clerk's office (instead of mailing it in).

Morever, this year, I worked the election. In fact, I'm still working as I bang out this post.

We can’t be so fixated on our desire to preserve the rights of ordinary Americans.

— U.S. President Bill Clinton
                  USA TODAY, page 2A
                  11 March 1993

Comment

Voted at 7:20 am in my precinct. No problems. Got my ballot. Voted. Snapped a picture of it. Waited in a short line at the machine. Ran it through - and I was out of there. 15 minutes tops.
                    I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

My wife and I voted mid-morning in Waimanalo. No waiting in line; most people at the polls were election workers.
                      Greg

Comment

Was Hawaii's primary election usually held in August? I remember that an excuse as to why a candidate lost was that the turnout wasn't as large because of a UH football game.

Comment

No, but the polls are open during the day, UH football games are typically held at night.

Comment

Just saw Joe Moore had a tear in his voice because Tulsi Gabbard would be the first woman with military combat to be elected to Congress. Good or Bad for Joe Moore to show emotion?

Originally posted by helen View Post
                            No, but the polls are open during the day, UH football games are typically held at night.
                            There are still some voters(guys) who watch college football game during the morning. Then, go buy beer and meats for their tailgate. By that time, they just want to cheer on the Warriors rather than a political candidate.

Comment

Well, she won't be elected today, but she will advance to the general election.

I voted on thursday and, just to be sure my vote was counted, I voted again today (I changed one of my selections - I erred on thursday). Both votes were counted, as usual. Seemed slow on both days, I'd be surprised if this doesn't turn out to be a low-participation primary. I did my part - I voted early and often.

What I don't understand - both my early walk-in ballot (machine) and my primary ballot (paper) failed to have the city council race (District 1), yet I see K. Pine is winning. How could she be winning when the race was omitted from ballots? The only non-partisan election on either ballot was for mayor. Nominated for worst election ever - X
                              Last edited by salmoned; August 11, 2012, 10:25 PM.
                              May I always be found beneath your contempt.

Comment

Working...
                              X