Thread: 2012 Primary Election Day

Default 2012 Primary Election Day

Today is the Primary Election Day in Hawaii. In times past this was held in September but for this cycle it is in August.

In keeping with tradition, this thread is about the process of voting and your experinces in casting your ballot for today. If you already voted by absentee ballot you can relate your experience as well too.

Default Re: 2012 Primary Election Day

I voted from the beach. No muss...well, maybe a little sand on the ballot...no fuss. No privacy curtain. No line. I love voting in Hawaii!

The question is, will Ben win with the 51% needed to avoid a runoff, he's got a real chance to do it and then we'll find out the many shenanigans railroaders have been hiding from the public.

Just finished voting at Washington Middle School. There wasn't that much people there but I suspect it was still early in the day.

Ron - its 50% plus just one vote. Big difference!
    "Democracy is the only system that persists in asking the powers that be whether they are the powers that ought to be."
    – Sydney J. Harris

Even better, fingers crossed!

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Whitfield View Post
    The question is, will Ben win with the 51% needed to avoid a runoff, he's got a real chance to do it and then we'll find out the many shenanigans railroaders have been hiding from the public.
    Ben won't win the majority in the primary. There will be a general election matchup against either one of Carlisle or Caldwell.

Being pro-rail in sentiment, I'm more than okay with Ben finishing first in the primary. A big win today could make the uneducated segment of Cayetano's support base complacent and think that their man can coast to an easy victory in November, a la Charles Djou's big win in a runoff against the Democratic duo of Hanabusa and Case a couple of years ago. Well, Djou's supporters got a health dose of reality when the Democrats were united behind one candidate. And I think the same will happen when the rail proponents are likewise consolidated behind one person.
    This post may contain an opinion that may conflict with your opinion. Do not take it personal. Polite discussion of difference of opinion is welcome.

Voted early this morning. Things seemed to go faster than usual, though there were a number of spoiled ballots ahead of me, caused either because of ballot box malfunction or human error in the feeding of the ballots.

Now it's just waiting for the results (delayed because of something that happened on the Big Island).

Lightbulb Re: 2012 Primary Election Day

Quote Originally Posted by helen View Post
    If you already voted by absentee ballot you can relate your experience as well too.
    That would be me... every year. I finally requested permanent absentee ballot status. I tend to have already made up my mind by now, anyway. I still honored the "process" by dropping off my ballot at the city clerk's office (instead of mailing it in).

Morever, this year, I worked the election. In fact, I'm still working as I bang out this post.

We can’t be so fixated on our desire to preserve the rights of ordinary Americans.

— U.S. President Bill Clinton
    USA TODAY, page 2A
    11 March 1993

Voted at 7:20 am in my precinct. No problems. Got my ballot. Voted. Snapped a picture of it. Waited in a short line at the machine. Ran it through - and I was out of there. 15 minutes tops.

My wife and I voted mid-morning in Waimanalo. No waiting in line; most people at the polls were election workers.
    Greg

Was Hawaii's primary election usually held in August? I remember that an excuse as to why a candidate lost was that the turnout wasn't as large because of a UH football game.

No, but the polls are open during the day, UH football games are typically held at night.

Just saw Joe Moore had a tear in his voice because Tulsi Gabbard would be the first woman with military combat to be elected to Congress. Good or Bad for Joe Moore to show emotion?

Quote Originally Posted by helen View Post
    No, but the polls are open during the day, UH football games are typically held at night.
    There are still some voters(guys) who watch college football game during the morning. Then, go buy beer and meats for their tailgate. By that time, they just want to cheer on the Warriors rather than a political candidate.

Well, she won't be elected today, but she will advance to the general election.

I voted on thursday and, just to be sure my vote was counted, I voted again today (I changed one of my selections - I erred on thursday). Both votes were counted, as usual. Seemed slow on both days, I'd be surprised if this doesn't turn out to be a low-participation primary. I did my part - I voted early and often.

What I don't understand - both my early walk-in ballot (machine) and my primary ballot (paper) failed to have the city council race (District 1), yet I see K. Pine is winning. How could she be winning when the race was omitted from ballots? The only non-partisan election on either ballot was for mayor. Nominated for worst election ever - X
    Last edited by salmoned; August 11th, 2012 at 11:25 PM.
    May I always be found beneath your contempt.

Quote Originally Posted by salmoned View Post
    I voted on thursday and, just to be sure my vote was counted, I voted again today (I changed one of my selections - I erred on thursday). Both votes were counted, as usual.
    Unfortunately for you, you are wrong. Just because your ballots were accepted at the early-voting station and at the polling precinct, doesn’t mean they both count. It simply means the second ballot cast will be invalidated once the computer confirms two ballots connected to the same social security number were submitted.

This is why the ballots are numbered: because the exact number on the ballot is also written into the poll book next to your name and signature. It’s also why there is a last minute ‘correction-order list’ which may or may not have been employed in your case, but is still in the computer system. Lastly, changes that are made up to the last 36 hours before the primary, are already in the system available to the Election control center operation (who basically overrule any official at the polls) even if they neither appear in the poll book or the correction-order list. So yes, you will get caught eventually.

It does feel good to think you’re getting away with something, doesn’t it?

Sorry to burst your bubble.

We can’t be so fixated on our desire to preserve the rights of ordinary Americans.

USA TODAY, page 2A
    11 March 1993

Hate to tell, but the ballot stubs are numbered, the ballots are not. I guess you're just like all those precinct officials - don't really notice what's going on. No computer looks into a precinct book, either. Even if it could - could it interpret the errors it 'sees'? Nope. When the 2 precinct officials in charge of issuing and recording ballots fail to follow proper procedures and fail to notice they've failed to follow proper procedures, and the precinct chair fails to notice their failure, the failure stands and no recourse is taken. Your idea that SSNs are matched to ballots is quaint - that would allow someone to determine every vote of every person in every election.

As a matter of fact, once one of my issuing officials accidentally tore 2 ballots off as one and handed them to a voter. The voter voted the 2 ballots and submitted them into the machine. I discovered this fact a moment too late as I saw the machine attendant helping the voter enter a second ballot into the machine. The issuer and the recorder didn't notice that the ballots weren't consecutive when he issued the next person a ballot, the machine attendant didn't 'notice' that person had submitted 2 ballots (and even helped) and 'central' said nothing could be done about it (record the error and move on). The voter said he was issued 2 ballots, so he voted 2 ballots. That's life, get used to it.
    Last edited by salmoned; August 12th, 2012 at 12:53 AM.
    May I always be found beneath your contempt.

Did the three writers who did political analysis on KGMB seemed nervous to you? They made interesting points, but don't seemed as polish as a Dan Boylan or Neil Milner.

Quote Originally Posted by salmoned View Post
    one of my issuing officials accidentally tore 2 ballots off as one and handed them to a voter. The voter voted the 2 ballots and submitted them into the machine. I discovered this fact a moment too late as I saw the machine attendant helping the voter enter a second ballot into the machine. The issuer and the recorder didn't notice that the ballots weren't consecutive when he issued the next person a ballot, the machine attendant didn't 'notice' that person had submitted 2 ballots (and even helped) and 'central' said nothing could be done about it (record the error and move on). The voter said he was issued 2 ballots, so he voted 2 ballots. That's life, get used to it.
    Apparently, embattled Big Island County Clerk Jamae Kawauchi claims to have uncovered the same type of fraud you allude to. Whether this occurs often (or even outside of Hawai‘i County) enough to influence the outcome of the election is another question.

Hawaii clerk vows readiness for elections

Jamae Kawauchi has faith in her ability despite criticism of the botched primary

By Leila Fujimori
    POSTED: 01:30 a.m. HST, Oct 02, 2012

Kawauchi is clearly still smarting from the harsh criticism for closing the Hilo Elections Office for a day to complete an audit in July.

Rather, she said, she feels she should have been praised for her diligence in poring over the voter registration rolls to ensure an accurate list. The audit revealed four people voted twice in 2010, which she reported to the attorney general's office as possible voter fraud.

Despite calls for her resignation or removal and sharp criticism from many, including former Gov. Linda Lingle and the League of Women Voters, she said she has no intention of quitting and is more resolved than ever to work toward a good general election.
    Last edited by TuNnL; October 2nd, 2012 at 01:59 PM.

USA TODAY, page 2A
    11 March 1993