Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Mideastern Rage

Originally posted by matapule View Post
    People I have come in contact with have always treated me with respect and never view me personally as a terrorist ...
    As seen in those photos from Libya I posted earlier. It shows that we should always make the effort to overcome stereotypes of our citizenry, projected by the politicians and celebrities who are the public image of USA overseas. And we shouldn't assume that other world citizens are represented in similar fashions by their "public figures."

Comment

Originally posted by salmoned View Post
      Terrorists are just like you and me. There is no difference. None. Whatsoever.

[The above has been fact-checked and is absolutely true.]
      With all due lack of contempt, I disagree:
      I don't drive my vehicles into buildings in order to kill innocent people in protest for what their government is doing.

I don't kill innocent people because someone in their country slurs my beliefs.

Maybe Leo gets it, but I don't. Can you elucidate how I am the same as the terrorists?

I also do not equate terrorists with any religion or nationality. Not all people in any group are terrorists, just the ones who commit terrorist acts
      Be Yourself. Everyone Else Is Taken!
      ~ ~
      Kaʻonohiʻulaʻokahōkūmiomioʻehiku
      Spreading the virus of ALOHA.
      Oh Chu. If only you could have seen what I've seen, with your eyes.

Comment

Originally posted by Leo Lakio View Post
        Sorta like the Christians who interpret the Bible to explain whatever non-Jesus-like behaviors they wish to get away with. Or insert any other religious movement into that statement - they all fit.
        Was Joan of Arc a terrorist?
        This post may contain an opinion that may conflict with your opinion. Do not take it personal. Polite discussion of difference of opinion is welcome.

Comment

Originally posted by Frankie's Market View Post
          The French Catholic Church at the time evidently thought she was a terrorist. Joan is an interesting character in history. Some historians think she/he was gay, perhaps a transvestite. Some psychologists think she/he might have been schizophrenic. Regardless, Joan had an impact in history.
          Peace, Love, and Local Grindz

People who form FIRM opinions with so little knowledge only pretend to be open-minded. They select their facts like food from a buffet. David R. Dow

Comment

No, not so far as I know. In her Wikipedia write-up, I see her characterized as "a skilled tactician and a successful strategist", and there are tales of her determination and bravery. I see no reference to her using terror as a tactic to cow her enemies.
            Greg

Comment

Originally posted by Kaonohi View Post
              With all due lack of contempt, I disagree:

I don't drive my vehicles into buildings in order to kill innocent people in protest for what their government is doing.

I don't kill innocent people because someone in their country slurs my beliefs.

Maybe Leo gets it, but I don't. Can you elucidate how I am the same as the terrorists?

I also do not equate terrorists with any religion or nationality. Not all people in any group are terrorists, just the ones who commit terrorist acts
              I see you're trying really hard to define your way out of being a terrorist, but I'm not buying it.
              May I always be found beneath your contempt.

Comment

The side that wins writes the history.
                One side's terrorist is another side's heroic freedom fighter.

Its all a matter of perspective. There was a show about the battle of Stalingrad on History channel the other night. One of the bizarre perspectives was the reading of a letter home from a Nazi soldier fighting in Stalingrad, he was whimpering about how unfairly the Russians fought. Jeeze! I think that under the right provocation anybody would strap on a bomb and kill as many enemy as possible.

Comment

Asked ...
                  Originally posted by Kalalau View Post
                  The side that wins writes the history.
                  One side's terrorist is another side's heroic freedom fighter.
                  Its all a matter of perspective.
                  ... and answered.

Comment

Originally posted by Leo Lakio View Post
                    Asked ...... and answered.
                    How does "The side that wins writes the history" tell us whether Joan of Arc was a terrorist? By "the side that wins" do you refer to the conflict between the English and French, or the prevailing side in Joan's heresy trial, which was conducted and chronicled by the same Catholic Church that later beatified her. What was the losing side that had no chance to write a history?
                    Greg

Comment

How do you feel about that?

Comment

Originally posted by salmoned View Post
                        I see you're trying really hard to define your way out of being a terrorist, but I'm not buying it.
                        Dear Ed,
                        Saying something does not make it so. If you really believe this, then please explain it to dull-witted me. Otherwise it's patently obvious you are making one of your jokes, and I'll laugh.

If you are incapable, Leo seemed to 'get it' and I'll give him a chance to explain.
                        Be Yourself. Everyone Else Is Taken!
                        ~ ~
                        Kaʻonohiʻulaʻokahōkūmiomioʻehiku
                        Spreading the virus of ALOHA.
                        Oh Chu. If only you could have seen what I've seen, with your eyes.

Comment

What should President Obama do about this mess? Considering his poker face during the run up to the bin Laden mission he may be doing it already. But it might be one of those situations that just has to run its course. Carter's goose was cooked when the Iranians took the embassy staff hostage, he tried a rescue mission but it failed, there really wasn't much he could have done. Oh he could have nuked a few of their cities I suppose but that would have brought a host of other problems, it would have been an ill considered move. Sending two ships and sending in the marines seems like a good first step, but only a first step. I can't imagine a thing Obama could do at this stage to settle the situation, other than deporting the film maker to Egypt, if thats even possible. Any suggestions?

Extra credit: what to do about Iran's nuclear program? Nothing? Let them get the bomb? Attack it ourselves? Let Israel do it?

Comment

I can't imagine a thing Obama could do at this stage to settle the situation, other than deporting the film maker to Egypt, if thats even possible. Any suggestions?
                            Diplomacy is the best answer with a mild show of American force. Extremist groups in the Mid East are using the incident for political gain. Best that the US not over-react.

Extra credit: what to do about Iran's nuclear program? Nothing? Let them get the bomb? Attack it ourselves? Let Israel do it?
                            Easy, world (that includes us) nuclear disarmament as a stated goal. YES, we can make that happen.
                            Peace, Love, and Local Grindz

People who form FIRM opinions with so little knowledge only pretend to be open-minded. They select their facts like food from a buffet. David R. Dow

Comment

Originally posted by Kaonohi View Post
                              Dear Ed,
                              Saying something does not make it so. If you really believe this, then please explain it to dull-witted me. Otherwise it's patently obvious you are making one of your jokes, and I'll laugh.
                              I'm not here to twist your arm and you're not here to twist mine. I can open a door, but you must decide to walk through or not
                              [and it's no use peeking through, 'cause that ain't gonna take you anywhere new]. Go, check it out, return home if you don't like it.

[Not for everybody]
                              May I always be found beneath your contempt.

Comment

I can't imagine a thing Obama could do at this stage to settle the situation, other than deporting the film maker to Egypt, if thats even possible.
                                Great idea. Supressing first amendment rights to appease a bunch of oppressive thugs and hoodlums.

Do that,... and those anti-American demagogues have won.
                                This post may contain an opinion that may conflict with your opinion. Do not take it personal. Polite discussion of difference of opinion is welcome.

Comment

Working...
                                X