Yet Another Romney Gaffe

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Yet Another Romney Gaffe

Very often it turns out that the right thing to do = the best political act. Romney could have looked so presidential if, upon the murders in Libya, he had said something like "Politics stops at the ocean. We have one President. Like all Americans, we unite behind him in this tragedy and unite in our grief for the families of the victims." I think thats almost an inborn response, but he seems to have been intimidated by or maybe actually listening to the teapot/ radio talk show host mentality. He looked as petty and hateful and unreasonable as Rush Limbaugh, and he could have looked like a statesman, a peacemaker. Maybe the idea is, thrill that base to make sure they turn out on election day.

Comment

Originally posted by salmoned View Post
      Finally, I noted Kaonohi's statement as buffoonery, there's no suggestion that the person is a buffoon. As a person, you're probably a fine, upstanding individual. Your statement was buffoonery. See the difference? I'm characterizing the action, not the individual. That's not name-calling.
      I recognize your attempt to squirm out of responsibility. As a friend, I will accept this as an attempt to CYOA, without admission.

That's cool; I'm a friend. I accept.
      Be Yourself. Everyone Else Is Taken!
      ~ ~
      Kaʻonohiʻulaʻokahōkūmiomioʻehiku
      Spreading the virus of ALOHA.
      Oh Chu. If only you could have seen what I've seen, with your eyes.

Comment

Re:

FM,

No, though I do think this thread is misdirected - Romney's 'gaffe' here is what he truly believed at that moment
        Oh-kay. Wow. Like this is supposed be anything profound or Earth-shattering.

If you're gonna start taking other people to task for posting "obvious" statements, you'd better start vetting your own posts.
        This post may contain an opinion that may conflict with your opinion. Do not take it personal. Polite discussion of difference of opinion is welcome.

Comment

One of my favorite tunes as a young lad was a pleasant song
          with the refrain of ' up up and away in my beautiful balloon'

It behooves one to compare the etymology of the words buffoons and balloons.

Comment

Originally posted by lensperson View Post
            One of my favorite tunes as a young lad was a pleasant song
            with the refrain of ' up up and away in my beautiful balloon'

It behooves one to compare the etymology of the words buffoons and balloons.

Personally, I'm fond of songs which feature a beautiful bassoon.

Comment

Re:

Originally posted by Frankie's Market View Post
              Originally posted by salmoned
              No, though I do think this thread is misdirected - Romney's 'gaffe' here is what he truly believed at that moment
              Oh-kay. Wow.
              Song that this reminds me of: "In sailing o'er life's ocean wide, Your heart should be your only guide", by Gilbert & Sullivan, poking fun at the idea that you won't go wrong if you do what your heart tells you.
              Greg

Comment

Re: Romany's admission

Originally posted by Frankie's Market View Post
                Oh-kay. Wow. Like this is supposed be anything profound or Earth-shattering.

If you're gonna start taking other people to task for posting "obvious" statements, you'd better start vetting your own posts.
                It appears to me most here have advocated that Romany misspoke, I say he didn't. What's obvious about my position?

Kaonohi, if I tell you that red light is electromagnetic radiation with a wavelength of about 650 nanometers and blue light is electromagnetic radiation with a wavelength of about 475 nanometers have I then clarified for you the nature of a rainbow? When a seeker asks a series of questions and every one of them is truthfully answered, does that impart knowledge or wisdom? When you went to school, did you hound your teachers to answer every question you asked to your satisfaction? Did you never need to work out a problem on your own in order to realize you understood how the solution is determined? Am I going to have to answer all these questions myself for you to be satisfied? I'm not squirming out of anything - I never agreed to be a font of tediously detailed answers, that's all.
                Last edited by salmoned; September 24, 2012, 12:15 PM.
                May I always be found beneath your contempt.

Comment

It appears to me most here have advocated that Romany misspoke, I say he didn't.
                  I never said that Romney misspoke. I pointed out that Romney was at a private GOP fundraiser. Hence, he was talking to an audience that is highly partisan to the right. In such an environment, it is not unusual for a candidate to take a harder-edged swipe at the opposition than he/she normally would in a more public setting. Remember, it is a fundraiser. Gotta say things that will get an audience of donors energized and more eager to dig deep. But in an era of micro-cameras and recorders, candidates need to be wary about saying things that go too far and having their statements being disseminated to the general public.

What's obvious about my position?
                  That Romney's 'gaffe' here is what he truly believed at that moment.

No duh! Michael Kinsley said it many years before you did. A gaffe is when a politician tells a kind of truth that he isn't supposed to say out loud.
                  This post may contain an opinion that may conflict with your opinion. Do not take it personal. Polite discussion of difference of opinion is welcome.

Comment

Romney's latest - wondering (in an interview with the L.A. Times) why airplane widows don't roll down. He says that "it's dangerous" that they don't.

Yes ... and the facts that there is a huge pressure difference inside and outside of the airplane AND a lack of enough oxygen to sustain human life at cruising altitude are apparently not factors that matter to him?

I'm beginning to suspect that 47% of his brain will never support him under any circumstances.

Comment

How about this, based on that old 2nd amendment refrain: "Mr. Romney, you can take my Medicare out of my cold, dead hands". Too much? Over the top? Would anyone even get it?

Comment

Originally posted by Leo Lakio View Post
                        I know that song.....Up, up and away in my beautiful bassoon.
                        Peace, Love, and Local Grindz

People who form FIRM opinions with so little knowledge only pretend to be open-minded. They select their facts like food from a buffet. David R. Dow

Comment

I'm sorry, I try to respect candidates whose viewpoints don't match mine, but this guy just gets worse and worse. Romney told Scott Pelley ("60 Minutes"), the uninsured should just go to Emergency Rooms for their medical care ---

PELLEY: Does the government have a responsibility to provide health care to the 50 million Americans who don’t have it today?

ROMNEY: Well, we do provide care for people who don’t have insurance, people — we– if someone has a heart attack, they don’t sit in their apartment and die. We pick them up in an ambulance, and take them to the hospital, and give them care. And different states have different ways of providing for that care.

PELLEY: That’s the most expensive way to do it…In an emergency room.

ROMNEY: Different, again, different states have different ways of doing that. Some provide that care through clinics. Some provide the care through emergency rooms.

Comment

When you went to school, did you hound your teachers to answer every question you asked to your satisfaction? Did you never need to work out a problem on your own in order to realize you understood how the solution is determined? Am I going to have to answer all these questions myself for you to be satisfied? I'm not squirming out of anything - I never agreed to be a font of tediously detailed answers, that's all.
                            I only expect you to be able to explain your statements; is that so unreasonable?
                            In school, certainly. That's what I went to school for - to learn.
                            In graduate school I worked out things my professors couldn't understand; is that where we stand?

In fact, looking back to see your original comment is in "Mideastern Rage." Not sure how it all gravitated to here.
                            I hardly want to argue about opinions that can't be backed up by the opinionater.

AFAIK, all I asked was how you equate me (and you) as equal to, one and the same as terrorists.
                            I think that's a reasonable question, concerning your unilateral declaration. It's not clear to me, and not clear to others, though there are a few who pretend it is, but they don't speak out either.
                            Frankly, I have decided you are in the 'woo-woo' zone, aka fos.

Whatever. It is such a boring subject now I'm pleased to drop it.

(DROP) [Plunk]

Last edited by Kaonohi; September 24, 2012, 08:38 PM. Reason: Necessity
                            Be Yourself. Everyone Else Is Taken!
                            ~ ~
                            Kaʻonohiʻulaʻokahōkūmiomioʻehiku
                            Spreading the virus of ALOHA.
                            Oh Chu. If only you could have seen what I've seen, with your eyes.

Comment

[...]
                              Yes ... and the facts that there is a huge pressure difference inside and outside of the airplane AND a lack of enough oxygen to sustain human life at cruising altitude are apparently not factors that matter to him?
                              [...]
                              I'm not convinced "...factors that matter to him" even plays into this gaffe. It comes off as plain, ol', unadulterated stupidity.

“When you have a fire in an aircraft, there’s no place to go, exactly,” he told the LA Times. “And you can’t find any oxygen from outside the aircraft to get in the aircraft, because the windows don’t open. I don’t know why they don’t do that. It’s a real problem.”

Comment

What can you play on a bazoom?

Comment

Working...
                                X