Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: MY pet peeves

Default MY pet peeves

Why do so many people make the mistake between nationality and ethnicity?

It really bugs me.

Another one is when you ask somebody in Hawaii to say the word library.

90% of the answers will be liberry...wow!
    Listen to KEITH AND THE GIRL

Stupid people come in all flavors-buzz1941
    Flickr

Default Re: MY pet peeves

Quote Originally Posted by alohabear View Post
    Another one is when you ask somebody in Hawaii to say the word library.

90% of the answers will be liberry...wow!
    In many varieties of American English, it is possible to drop one /r/ from certain words that
    contain two /r/s, such as su(r)prise, pa(r)ticular, gove(r)nor, and co(r)ner.
    http://linguistics.berkeley.edu/bls/...cts34/Hall.pdf
    Greg

Does anyone else say "FebRuary"?

The one that bugs me most is "nuclear" when pronounced as "nuke-u-lar."

President Jimmy Carter said it that way - and he served on a nuclear submarine in the U.S. Navy. Others who mispronounced it include Presidents Bush (the 2nd) and Eisenhower, as well as Edward "father of the H-Bomb" Teller.

In Physics for Future Presidents, Prof. Richard Muller of the University of California says the pronunciation "has been a tradition at some of our weapons labs since World War II." He says it derives from the "combination of 'nuke' with the ending '-ular' inspired by similar words such as spectacular, popular, and molecular."

When there's some difference between the spelling and the pronunciation, people always seem to jump to the conclusion that the pronunciation is in error. Why is that? Maybe it's the spelling that's wrong.
    Greg

Remember a while back, when tthe State put out a TV spot to promote reading and going to the library...at the end a group of keiki said something like "Go to the LIBERRY! " Someone should have corrected that.

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Liberry
    Listen to KEITH AND THE GIRL

Stupid people come in all flavors-buzz1941
    Flickr

Okay try this one. It makes me cringe when people pronounce "etc." as "ek cetera" Actually "etc." comes from the Latin "et cetera." This translates as et = "and", cetera = "the others." So "etc." means "and the others."

(Thanks to two years of high school Latin!)

amo amas amat
    amamus, amatis, amant
    Peace, Love, and Local Grindz

People who form FIRM opinions with so little knowledge only pretend to be open-minded. They select their facts like food from a buffet. David R. Dow

Quote Originally Posted by matapule View Post
    Okay try this one. It makes me cringe when people pronounce "etc." as "ek cetera" Actually "etc." comes from the Latin "et cetera." This translates as et = "and", cetera = "the others." So "etc." means "and the others." (Thanks to two years of high school Latin!)
    Tell those folks "Quin tu in lacum desilis!" (I was also a two-years-in-high-school Latin student.) After all, manus manum lavat.

So should they have edited Israel's song when he says chimanee...I no tink so.

Who says quarter as opposed to quater? (=$0.25)

aND, wHO CARES?????

Understanding trumps pronunciation.
    Last edited by Kaonohi; September 24th, 2012 at 09:21 PM. Reason: Anthropology
    Be Yourself. Everyone Else Is Taken!
    ~ ~
    Kaʻonohiʻulaʻokahōkūmiomioʻehiku
    Spreading the virus of ALOHA.
    Oh Chu. If only you could have seen what I've seen, with your eyes.

Ree-la-tor vs. reel-tor (realtor)
    Jew-luh-ree vs. jew-el-ree (jewelry)
    Su-pose-uh-blee vs. su-pose-ed-lee (supposedly)
    Uh-crost vs. uh-cross (across)

OK, tourist gaffes:

Kamehameha = Kame- hame- ha!
    O`ahu = Wahoo
    Kapiolani = Kape o lani (among others)

and so on...
    ~ ~

Exclamation Re: MY pet peeves

Quote Originally Posted by GregLee View Post
    When there's some difference between the spelling and the pronunciation, people always seem to jump to the conclusion that the pronunciation is in error. Why is that? Maybe it's the spelling that's wrong.
    Actually, only Spain has a "Language Congress" which dictates the correct spelling and pronunciation of words.
    For the rest of us there is no 'right' pronunciation, we have the freedom of dialect differences.

Also, for Leo, yes, I say FebRuary. (Feb-roo-airy)
    ~ ~

As an English teacher, I always have to tread carefully in discussions like this. I am aware of the extra scrutiny we teachers are deservedly put under, so in general I try to stay out of these threads. While it's always great when people take a critical look at the way the language is used, if I go too far, I get called a grammar Nazi.

Add to that the overall negativity of such conversations and it's always just best if I stay out.

However, I did a quick search of posts by some of the complainants in this thread, and was alternately amused and appalled by the egregious flouting of elementary-school-level standard English practices. One person who listed peeves in this thread once posted a three-sentence response which didn't contain a single end-mark (such as a period or exclamation point).

Someone else in this thread, normally a very good writer (with perhaps too great a fondness for ellipses), has made the its/it's mistake a couple of times recently.

We all make mistakes. I sent a text message to another English teacher this morning in which I made the to/too mistake. Luckily, I caught it before she responded and I was able to make a quick joke out of it.

And while I realize that there are differences between mistakes, typos, not knowing, not caring, and simply mispronouncing, my point is that threads like this are always pointed outward. This is fine with me, because heck: if something peeves you, it peeves you, and what's a discussion forum for if not to express whatever's got you riled up?

I would like gently to suggest, though, that we all spend a little bit of time being peeved with our own misuses of the language. The result would probably be improved communication all around, and since good writing and good thinking almost always go hand in hand, we might make ourselves--each of us and each other--smarter in other ways, too.

Leaving out a period at the end of a sentence once is an error. Doing it for every sentence in a post is not caring. But if you don't care about your own use of the language, why do you care so much about everyone else's?

This has given me an idea for a new topic: the space on HT where we post the things about ourselves that embarrass us or drive us crazy. Let's do it.
    Last edited by helen; September 27th, 2012 at 01:03 AM. Reason: adding a link to a new thread
    But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
    GrouchyTeacher.com

Scriv, you and I are both right.
    Grammar - syntax - etc. ae important, but in this conext, the most important thing is: communication/understanding.

We can fuk op speakling, usauallydoo to less educaion, or we cn make errors based on tping.... Oups!

But as long as we understand one another, that is the important thing. Yes?
    ~ ~

If we can tell where sentences end without the periods, and we can, why bother to use the periods? Insisting on periods is all about enforcing class prejudice and has nothing to do with effective communication.
    Greg

You're right, but I was pointing out that if someone is going to leave end marks out, that person's complaining about someone else's pronunciation of a word when it's obvious what the word is seems excessively negative, and negatively pointed outward.
    But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
    GrouchyTeacher.com

Underlining text is ugly! Especially for descenders g j p q and y.

Quote Originally Posted by mel View Post
    But a font with serifs (here Times New Roman) helps:
    Greg

Quote Originally Posted by GregLee View Post
    But a font with serifs (here Times New Roman) helps:
    Not too much. Still ugly.

Quote Originally Posted by scrivener View Post
    Someone else in this thread, normally a very good writer (with perhaps too great a fondness for ellipses), has made the its/it's mistake a couple of times recently.
    Its true...and one of my most common grammatical errors is in the use of "I" or "me" - most commonly, in speaking...its something I am working on. I've gotten much better in correct usage of "fewer"/"less" ... and if it hadn't been for Scrivener, I would have continued to (incorrectly) put my periods within the parentheses, rather than at the end (you know what I mean).

Above errors purely intentional.

Quote Originally Posted by Leo Lakio View Post
    ... its something I am working on. I've gotten much better in correct usage of "fewer"/"less" ...
    Do you count an error for putting just one space after a period, like this?:
    something I am working on. I've gotten much better

rather than two, like this:
    something I am working on. nI've gotten much better
    Greg

Quote Originally Posted by Leo Lakio View Post
    I've gotten much better in correct usage of "fewer"/"less"
    I oftentimes hear people in Hawaii saying "much" when they actually should be saying "many" in a sentence. That always drives me up the wall.

Eh, how much cans of soda should we bring to da party?
    This post may contain an opinion that may conflict with your opinion. Do not take it personal. Polite discussion of difference of opinion is welcome.

Actually, Leo, I didn't look up your posts. Since you and I are in-real-life friends now, you fall into another category for my English teacher behavior.

As for two spaces after an end-mark, I always use them and like it better when others do, too. But that rule is a remnant of our use of typewriters for formal writing, when each character took up the same amount of space. Since word-processors and online print use space differently, you often can't even tell the difference between one or two spaces between sentences, so I have gradually, over the years, learned to accept a single space between sentences. Word-processors are programmed to make paragraphs look good either way.
    Last edited by scrivener; September 28th, 2012 at 08:35 AM.
    GrouchyTeacher.com

Quote Originally Posted by scrivener View Post
    As for two spaces after an end-mark, I always use them and like it better when others do, too. But that rule is a remnant of our use of typewriters for formal writing, when each character took up the same amount of space.
    Yes, using exactly two spaces does come from the typewriter days.. But using more space after end puctuation is traditional in typography using proportional fonts.. (And if you look closely, you will see that I used slightly more space after two previous periods in this posting.)
    Greg

Many people still use two spaces at the end of a sentence. In fact, my work place style guide calls for it. Iím against it, but Iím outnumbered. Itís one of my pet peeves.

The rule is a single space at the end of a sentence (see Chicago Manual of Style). In fact, for online text, html does not support two spaces, or three spaces, or any number of extra spaces, unless you use trickery. (Greg, I notice you used html tricks to insert those extra spaces.)

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast