Hotel Transylvania

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hotel Transylvania

Saw the 2-d version of Hotel Transylvania last night at the Ward Theater.

The movie is about Count Dracula running a hotel for monsters so that they can be safe from the dreaded humans who have hunted monsters for the past 150 years or so, other storylines in the movie is Dracula's daughter wanting to see the outside world and a human who stumbles across the hotel much to the horror of Dracula when he finds out about the human.

Hawaii gets mentioned in the movie a few times and the movie is a parody to the horror movie genre.

Re: Hotel Transylvania

Hotel Transylvania (2012)
    Voices of Adam Sandler, Selena Gomez, Andy Samberg, Kevin James, Fran Drescher, Jon Lovitz, CeeLo Green, Steve Buscemi, Molly Shannon, David Spade, others.

Being a single parent is tough; just ask Dracula, who has been raising his daughter Mavis by himself for most of her life, ever since his wife was killed by insensitive humans. Determined to protect her from evil humans, he creates the Hotel Transylvania, a human-free home away from home for monsters who need rest and relaxation.

On the occasion of Mavis’s 118th birthday, Dracula plans a huge party and a who’s-who of monsterdom checks in for the celebration: Frankenstein’s monster and his wife, Mr. and Mrs. Werewolf (and their kids), Bigfoot, and other assorted spirits and spectres are on hand for the festivities.

In an effort to keep Mavis safe, Dracula has taught her to fear humans as he and the other Hotel Transylvania guests fear them. This backfires when Jonathan, a young human, wanders onto the premises. In order to keep everyone calm, Dracula secretly dresses Jonathan up, passing him off as a relative of Frankenstein’s Monster, which sort of works until he and Mavis meet and are attracted to each other.

Hotel Transylvania has its charms; Adam Sandler is unrecognizable as the voice of Dracula and he puts more effort into his performance than in most of his non-animated roles. Selena Gomez is a real talent, famous teeny-bopper boyfriend aside. The animation is slick and shiny and pretty to look at like a box of Skittles, and some of the gags are worth a giggle or two. The problem is that there’s just not much of a plot; we’re basically treated to one hide-the-human scene after another in action sequences far less imaginative than can be excused. When your characters inhabit a world with floating banquet tables and secret passages all over the place, you really need to come up with something creative, or why bother to put a movie there? Remember what Wallace and Gromit did with just an electric train, some train tracks, and a house? Nothing in Hotel Transylvania is in the same area code as that.

Even the plot is pretty brainless; there is a story here about young love and about adult regret, something that I suppose is necessarily shallow in a movie aimed at young viewers, but the syrupy sentiment feels tacked on. Where Dracula’s relationship with Mavis is well-developed and oddly believable, very little is put in place to earn the goosebumps the writers want you to get for Dracula’s lost love or Mavis’s budding romance. The result is a happily-ever-after only the most gullible minds will accept.

Which is too bad, because it means that the movie is pretty boring, ‘though I imagine young kids will love it. This is the film’s greatest crime, because the fact that kids will accept it so readily is the very reason we shouldn’t be giving them this film. Telling children it’s okay to be entertained by such thoughtlessness is doing them no favors at all. If I had kids and took them to see this, I’d be totally encouraged if they fell asleep in their theater seats.

5/10 (IMDb rating)
    48/100 (Criticker rating)
    But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
    GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

Working...
    X