Deadly URLs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Deadly URLs

Months ago I got an email seemingly from my daughter, and it included a URL address without any explanation other than: "For you Edwin."

I clicked on the URL and it brought me to an unintelligible site, which I closed. Next day, a virus shut down my computer.

Two days ago, in spite of my warnings, my spouse received an email, allegedly from a friend, that had an URL address without an explanation.
    In spite of my warnings, she clicked on it (we all forget, no?)

From then on every email she tried to send was change-addressed to a dead-end address (aname)@hawai.rr.com, and not delivered to the intended. We are unsure if we have yet fixed it.

Anyway:
    WARNING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

If you get an email from an address you know, that has a URL without an explanation of what the source is, delete it. Or if you know how to report it, do so.

Evidently the forwarding and reply addresses are fake, and the URL is a conduit to a virus or malware or something similar.

BEWARE!
    Be Yourself. Everyone Else Is Taken!
    ~ ~
    Kaʻonohiʻulaʻokahōkūmiomioʻehiku
    Spreading the virus of ALOHA.
    Oh Chu. If only you could have seen what I've seen, with your eyes.

Re: Deadly URLs

Whenever I see the subject line of a new incoming email giving a personal greeting ("hi amati"), I already get suspicious. And then if I hover over the address section (without opening the email), it often reveals what I can tell is a spam email address as the sender.
    Now run along and play, but don’t get into trouble.

Comment

Another good reason to get smart and learn to use linux.

Comment

Yep! What Amati wrote. Also, a URL, alone, in the body if an email is a give away that it's to be deleted without clicking.

Comment

Originally posted by Kaonohi View Post
          Months ago I got an email seemingly from my daughter, and it included a URL address without any explanation other than: "For you Edwin."

I clicked on the URL and it brought me to an unintelligible site, which I closed. Next day, a virus shut down my computer.

Two days ago, in spite of my warnings, my spouse received an email, allegedly from a friend, that had an URL address without an explanation.
          In spite of my warnings, she clicked on it (we all forget, no?)

From then on every email she tried to send was change-addressed to a dead-end address (aname)@hawai.rr.com, and not delivered to the intended. We are unsure if we have yet fixed it.

Anyway:
          WARNING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

If you get an email from an address you know, that has a URL without an explanation of what the source is, delete it. Or if you know how to report it, do so.

Evidently the forwarding and reply addresses are fake, and the URL is a conduit to a virus or malware or something similar.

BEWARE!
          Thanks for that info. .

I also had something similar to that (long ago), & my computer had a virus in it, GRRR !!!.
          Aches & Pains
          (through out our lives) knows no time!!.

Comment

Originally posted by Amati View Post
            Whenever I see the subject line of a new incoming email giving a personal greeting ("hi amati"), I already get suspicious. And then if I hover over the address section (without opening the email), it often reveals what I can tell is a spam email address as the sender.
            Originally posted by tutusue View Post
            Yep! What Amati wrote. Also, a URL, alone, in the body if an email is a give away that it's to be deleted without clicking.
            Thanks for that info. & great advice!!.
            Aches & Pains

Comment

email? Really? That's so late 20th century, gag me with a spoon.
              May I always be found beneath your contempt.

Comment

Originally posted by salmoned View Post
                email? Really? That's so late 20th century, gag me with a spoon.
                Uhmmm Oh Kay then...

How do you receive your information back??? &/or how do you send information to some one else???

Via Text messages only???

Evidently you don't do hand written mail, fax, & email.

I think a lot of us still use email, it its a lot faster than hand written mail. Texts are ok now & then.
                Aches & Pains

Comment

check out alohadns.com - its free and you can block URLs for your whole network.

(2) modes:

Black list - block known URLS (facebook.com , playboy.com)
                  - you can even block whole countries (*.tk , *.cn, *.ru etc)

OR

Whilte list - only allow known good URLS (facebook.com , cnn.com)

Comment

Originally posted by Bee View Post
                    check out alohadns.com - its free and you can block URLs for your whole network.

(2) modes:

Black list - block known URLS (facebook.com , playboy.com)
                    - you can even block whole countries (*.tk , *.cn, *.ru etc)

OR

Whilte list - only allow known good URLS (facebook.com , cnn.com)
                    wow!! Thanks.
                    Aches & Pains

Comment

Working...
                    X