White Rice Alternatives

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• White Rice Alternatives

One of the toughest shifts in thinking I've had to make is the acceptance of white rice as not good for me. Like most of you who have grown up here, I love white rice; it is probably my single favorite food item in the whole world.

As it is with many less-than-healthy foods, there are ways to enjoy it without wrecking your body, but mostly that means eating less of it, and eating it less often. I've managed a few times to wipe it almost completely out of my life (with good results, I have to say), but what I really want is just a less-unhealthy alternative.

Prevailing advice seems to be to avoid rice if you can, and to have something whole-grain if you can't, such as brown rice.

I do enjoy brown rice, and lately I've enjoyed multi-grain mixtures (with wild rice, barley, and other stuff). What else is there? Anyone out there making quinoa a staple at home? I'd like to add a few new things to the pantry to satisfy my yearning for something starchy to accompany meat and veggies. What's working for you?
    But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
    GrouchyTeacher.com

Re: White Rice Alternatives

Heh... I like Fried Rice but that doesn't count. Just changes the white to brown.
    I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

Scriv...I like quinoa but not more than rice. And I don't like white rice...never have! I know...blasphemy! I love brown rice and forbidden rice. Mixed together is good too. I always add a packet of dry onion soup to the boiling water before I add the rice. My favorite starch (well, it's a starchy vegetable) is half a baked sweet potato or yam.

Comment

What's forbidden rice?
        But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
        GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

I prefer fried rice, then brown rice and then white rice.

The cafeteria at Honolulu Community College gives one a choice between brown and white rice while Yummys Korean BBQ charge you about 50 cents extra for changing from white to brown rice.

Comment

Originally posted by scrivener View Post
            What's forbidden rice?
            Black rice...aka, forbidden rice.

Comment

Ah yes. The multigrain I'm using lately is laden with that. Good stuff.
              GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

Potatoe with an e.

Comment

I too, am a fan of rice, any way or any color I can get it! Much prefer it to any kind of potato.

What is too often to eat rice? I suppose I eat it once or twice a week at most, usually one cup max. If it is not good for me, why do Japanese people live so long?

As a substitute, I like bulgar wheat. It has a nice nutty flavor.
                  Peace, Love, and Local Grindz

People who form FIRM opinions with so little knowledge only pretend to be open-minded. They select their facts like food from a buffet. David R. Dow

Comment

The Alpha Female has been making recipes with quinoa since the early 1990s; when I get a chance, I'll post a couple of her most popular quinoa salad ones here, as something for you folks to try.

Comment

Alfabeto, orzo or risi.
                      May I always be found beneath your contempt.

Comment

Tortillas.
                        Grits.
                        Lentils as a food staple for Neil on The Young Ones.

Comment

Scriv...a thought...maybe buy 1/4 or 1/2 cup of various grains from the bulk bins at a health food store or Foodland. The cooking instructions are usually on the bins or you can google. You might find some hits...and some misses!

Comment

The power of poi.

Comment

Sue, I think that's a heck of an idea. Then I have more control over the proportion of stuff I really like vs. the stuff I only kind of like. I think I'll investigate this to see if it's more cost-effective too. Thanks!
                              GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

Working...
                              X