Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

why do people look at their phones during a movie ---it's so bright!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• why do people look at their phones during a movie ---it's so bright!

Went to see Lincoln last evening with family, and was fricken' annoyed at people around me at the Kahala Theatres having to look at their phone screen while the movie is playing!

During the movie, one could see about 6 to 8 areas where their cell phone screens would show...and this guy in front of my wife had to look at his cell phone about 6-7 times during the movie...

they tell you on the screen before the movie starts about keeping it quiet...well, maybe they should even tell them NOT to look at their bright screens...there's no need...I REALLY wanted to shout out and say stop with this madness!

Besides that, there was one phone that was ringing and ringing, and guess the person was ashamed to answer it, so it just keep on r-i-n-g-i-n-g until it went to voicemail! You illiterate!!!!

I am also going to notify Consolidated Theatres management about this irritating annoyance during movie watching..

Re: why do people look at their phones during a movie ---it's so bright!

The mature part of me advises you to talk to an usher and tell him/her about your complaint.

The immature part of me that doesn't want to miss any part of the movie while trying to seek out an usher would simply aim a laser pointer at their phone screen whenever they pull it out and turn on the bright display. That in turn will irritate them and discourage them from using their phone.

The mature part of me says that two wrongs don't make a right and that I shouldn't give folks here any bad ideas.

Bad, Frankie, bad.
    This post may contain an opinion that may conflict with your opinion. Do not take it personal. Polite discussion of difference of opinion is welcome.

Comment

I do it all the time during movies, but before the film begins, I turn the brightness as far down as it'll go. It's dimmer than the light of a digital wristwatch by a considerable margin. I'm quite sure it doesn't bother the people around me. Also, I usually hold it down between my knees and sorta lean forward to get a look if there are a lot of people sitting around me. And of course my ringer is off and I would NEVER take a call during a film.

I agree that the bright light of cell phones is a horrible, inconsiderate distraction.
      But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
      GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

I think scrivener touches on why people check 'em during movies - for many people, phones have replaced watches as timepieces (though I would put my digital wristwatch's light up against any dimmed smartphone for comparison).

During most movies, I would not be likely to check the time while the film is playing anyway, but the o.p. did mention "Lincoln" - I have been capsule-reviewing it as a bladder-busting history lesson, worth every minute. I confess, I checked my watch during the final hour, in order to see how much time was remaining - wondering whether I could make it until the end without a lua break! (I did - though I missed the closing credits, something I rarely do.)

Comment

Originally posted by hawaiiguy View Post
          You illiterate!!
          If someone is being rude in a theater, it is not dependent on whether or not they can read. It has to do with whether or not they are considerate.

Literacy is beautiful gift that many of us enjoy. Illiteracy is a fact of life for many, for example including those who were not privileged with school, those who have severe dyslexia, and those with learning disabilities due to mental health issues. [Additionally, there are many folks in Hawaii who do not read English, but can read their native language.]

Equating rudeness to someone's literacy is rude in itself!!
          Last edited by Amati; November 25, 2012, 10:32 AM.
          Now run along and play, but don’t get into trouble.

Comment

It's definitely rude, and I've seen ushers summoned to tsk-tsk the offenders more than a few times. But I still get more annoyed, personally, at people who talk through movies... though that's at least engaging socially with people who are present and sharing the experience.

I think if you're a relentless phone checker, you should just sit in the back row. Last year there was talk of movie theaters having special sections for people who can't resist posting to Twitter or Facebook while at the theater:

More theaters reserve seats for tweeters

Though it seemed more for live performances of theater or music, at which digital interactivity seems a bit more appropriate.

Comment

A glassed in "phone" room, like some theaters had years ago to accommodate smokers. Only they could put in tinted glass, so the brightness of the phones did not show through in to the theater.
              Now run along and play, but don’t get into trouble.

Comment

Originally posted by pzarquon View Post
                I think if you're a relentless phone checker, you should just sit in the back row. Last year there was talk of movie theaters having special sections for people who can't resist posting to Twitter or Facebook while at the theater:
                A well-meaning idea. But if the fundamental problem of those incessant mobile phone users is an inconsiderate attitude towards others, then I don't think those solutions will work for them. Those are the very kind of people who will probably want to sit anywhere they want in the theater and use their phone anytime they want, with not a care in the world if they are disturbing others who are around them. Self-centered thinking is the root cause most of the time when mobile phones are used in deviant ways.
                This post may contain an opinion that may conflict with your opinion. Do not take it personal. Polite discussion of difference of opinion is welcome.

Comment

Seems to be missing the whole 'point' of seeing a movie...
                  Leave the rest of the world outside while taking in a story/fantasy retreat. IMO
                  Life is either an adventure... or you're not doing it right!!!

Comment

I'm posting this from a movie theater during Life of Pi.

Only three people in the theater and I'm sitting a few rows behind the others.
                    But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
                    GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

thats the kind of theater where camcorders would work quite nice.

bring a big bag of popcorn and a few large sd memory cards.

Comment

Guess if ya gotta, ya gotta!

I was thinking how we expect minimal interruptions while watching movies.
                        In Fiji audience participation is the norm. Can be boisterous to say the least,
                        but still (the)Movie-centric. Wonder about other places around the world?
                        Life is either an adventure... or you're not doing it right!!!

Comment

Working...
                        X