5 mil for rail art?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 5 mil for rail art?

Tons of $$$ being allotted for artists to submit their art for inclusion at rail stops, whether it be paintings, sculpture, or even as structural parts. They'll begin installations in the artistic haven of Kalihi/Dillingham. I hope it all at least comes pre-vandalized so we don't have to endlessly pay for repairs and replacement.
    https://www.facebook.com/Bobby-Ingan...5875444640256/

Re: 5 mil for rail art?

As a longtime resident of Kalihi, I must object to your small-minded view. The Art in Public Places mandate in this state was the first of its kind in the nation, and has resulted in one of the coolest aspects of life in this town. Encouraging local artists (and supporting them in their pursuit) is not only a noble effort, but a self-serving effort for our culture and identity.

Whenever one civilization takes over another, one of the first things the conquerors do is destroy works of art created by the vanquished's people. We are not merely a collection of people with a shared geography: we are the accumulated experience, lore, and tradition that tell our stories.

I have made no secret of my admiration for the art this program generates. In fact, we played a nearly month-long game eight years ago on HT of which public art was my favorite component. In fact, some of the art I photographed for that game resides in Kalihi and, as far as I can tell, has never been defaced.

I don't know if there's a city mandate similar to the state's, but five million dollars compared to the overall cost of this public project is a drop of water. If it will be used to enhance the experience of those of us who will see it (everybody), I don't get the objection.
    But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
    GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

Originally posted by scrivener View Post
      The Art in Public Places mandate in this state was the first of its kind in the nation...
      In case anyone questions that, here is a site that confirms Hawai`i was progressive in this realm years ahead of other states: http://www.nasaa-arts.org/Research/K...t-Programs.php

It was seven years before another state (Washington) latched onto the idea in 1974.

Comment

Hooray, scriv found a single example of art in Kalihi he likes.

I don't get the objection.
        But I'm the one with the small mind...

Comment

Originally posted by Ron Whitfield View Post
          Hooray, scriv found a single example of art in Kalihi he likes.
          Please. The fact that there's one example in that set of photos doesn't mean I've found just one.

But I'm the one with the small mind...
          You've characterized an entire neighborhood as one that has no respect for art. And the only support you have for your objection to the concept is that it's going to cost money to repair the damage by vandals. I made an effort to articulate my support for the concept in a way that doesn't insult an entire neighborhood. So yeah.
          But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
          GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

Speaking as someone who has lived in Kalihi for many moons,... "taggers" generally respect and leave works of art alone, even in public places. For instance, it wouldn't be impossible for vandals to reach the mural at the front of Ka'iulani Elem. School. But since that mural was placed there in the 1990s, nobody has spray painted it. Nobody has damaged it.

As a matter of fact, the sure-fire way to have a wall get spray painted over would be to leave it blank, which attracts a multitude of graffiti. Some schools and property owners combat this eyesore by inviting a talented graffiti artist to paint an elaborate mural onto the wall,... which stops the cycle of errant and ugly tagging.

An example of this would be the wall facing King St. on the campus of Washington Middle School.

This post may contain an opinion that may conflict with your opinion. Do not take it personal. Polite discussion of difference of opinion is welcome.

Comment

How about advertising billboards to help with the expenses?

Comment

Originally posted by Frankie's Market View Post
                An example of this would be the wall facing King St. on the campus of Washington Middle School.

I believe that mural was done by Washington Middle School students with the help of a graffiti artist. And the wall is owned by Zippy's and was used with their permission.

Comment

I don't know if there's a city mandate similar to the state's, but five million dollars compared to the overall cost of this public project is a drop of water. If it will be used to enhance the experience of those of us who will see it (everybody), I don't get the objection.
                  Many drops of water make an ocean. Is governmental subsidy of art works really the best use of those funds? I thought you had Libertarian leanings and would support the position that, while public art is edifying, it should be funded through private donation. I guess I don't really understand the Libertarian philosophy very well. Is it me or is it you?
                  May I always be found beneath your contempt.

Comment

So yeah.
                    Having fun yet?
                    Be it Kalihi or any other town you'd take overt offense of me chiding in the slightest, wasting big bux on bus stop art is stupid when it'll be destroyed asap and thus cost even more no matter what else has survived elsewhere. Plus, you gotta figure the art that gets approved will not be appreciated by many for various reasons, as is seen island wide with many pointless examples, it's a waste of time, effort, and money.

Comment

First off understand that the 'Federal' monies for this project will not cover the cost of construction and maintenance is a whole 'nother issue of responsibility.

We the people of Hawai'i will cover the completion costs, including the much more than anticipated overages along with maintenance costs too through tax hikes.

Now as far as 'art' for the station's platforms go, use many of the great graffiti artists here in my opinion.
                      This will keep costs down and as its been said the artwork will be respected by lesser graffiti artists and enjoyed by most.
                      Life is either an adventure... or you're not doing it right!!!

Comment

Originally posted by salmoned View Post
                        I guess I don't really understand the Libertarian philosophy very well. Is it me or is it you?
                        It's me, of course. I admit that my libertarian leanings swing further and further left as government grows more and more local. I think the federal Department of Education should be stripped way, way down (not completely eliminated, but close), but I think a statewide department of education is a good thing, and I think county-level educational programs, such as continuing ed classes at local recreation centers and afterschool activities are even better.

And since I have an obvious, heavy bias in favor of the arts, I think private funding and public funding are both the way to go, at least on a state level.
                        GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

Originally posted by Menehune Man View Post
                          Now as far as 'art' for the station's platforms go, use many of the great graffiti artists here in my opinion.
                          This will keep costs down and as its been said the artwork will be respected by lesser graffiti artists and enjoyed by most.
                          Perfect. I'm voting for MM next election!

Comment

There's a great deal of value to artists in having their work displayed, so why should the rail system pay the artists? Let the artists pay the rail system.
                            Greg

Comment

Another point in describing the absurdity of these expenditures is told in today's opinions page, that the State's Foundation On Arts and Culture has one of the Nation's most voluminous art collections tucked away from public view, virtually never to be seen. But utilize any of that wasting resource, why no! Brilliant.

Comment

Working...
                              X