Tipping in a cashless society?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tipping in a cashless society?

I've never been a fan of carrying cash. I like to carry as little as possible. My wallet (card holder) consists of my drivers license, one debit card and one credit card. Nothing else.

I pay for pretty much everything with my credit card. Tipping my barber and at restaurants is not a problem since I can do that on my card.

BUT, I've pissed off several valet guys and porters when I haven't been able to tip them. It's not that I don't want to...I'm a generous guy but without cash, I can't!

So someone needs to invent a way for these guys to receive tip from me (and other cashless people). Or companies need to pay them better so we don't need to tip.

In Europe, donations to churches went down with the arrival of the cashless society. So they were smart and installed payment terminals inside the churches. Maybe valet guys should have a payment terminal by their booth?

Any ideas?

Re: Tipping in a cashless society?

So right after I finish my post above, I find this new product: http://dipjar.com/

I can only hope that the valet dudes and porters here in Hawaii start using 'em.

It'll be interesting to see the progress.

Comment

Originally posted by amagab View Post
      BUT, I've pissed off several valet guys and porters when I haven't been able to tip them. It's not that I don't want to...I'm a generous guy but without cash, I can't!
      Originally posted by amagab View Post
      Any ideas?
      I cannot recall every having been caught off guard or unplanned that I'm going to be encountering a situation where I'll have a valet or porter. I know ahead of time that I'm headed to a restaurant, airport, etc.

Maybe easiest would be to keep a stack of $1's or $5's at home, and grab them before you head out to a "tipping" event. And keep a few dollars in your car (nothing that would matter if it disappeared). That might be the easiest way to deal with your desire to tip.
      Now run along and play, but don’t get into trouble.

Comment

True, most of the times I plan to have a few bucks when those incidents are expected. But there are times when it's not anticipated. For example, in my vague memory the Hawaiian Airlines drive through check-in used to have a baggage belt....and not the porter that had to take my luggage the other day. And there's been times when we've gone to new restaurants and they only have valet parking.

Comment

I always carry golden dollar coins to tip. They make a better impression (up to $5, anyway).
          Be Yourself. Everyone Else Is Taken!
          ~ ~
          Kaʻonohiʻulaʻokahōkūmiomioʻehiku
          Spreading the virus of ALOHA.
          Oh Chu. If only you could have seen what I've seen, with your eyes.

Comment

Originally posted by Kaonohi View Post
            I always carry golden dollar coins to tip. They make a better impression (up to $5, anyway).
            That's a good....ehhh...tip.

Comment

What if a person tips in the new kind of Texas currency?

Comment

Working...
              X