Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: GMO Labeling in Hawai'i

Haha! Okay whatever.
    Life is either an adventure... or you're not doing it right!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Menehune Man View Post
      While additional studies are needed to gain a fuller understanding of the impact of GMOs on biodiversity, the currently available information begs the question of whether GMOs bring more harm than good, especially when small-scale farmers, using ecological methods, can address the pressing agricultural concerns."
      So, GMOs may be creating increased biodiversity (additional studies are needed because researchers need work) and no one can point to any proof whatsoever that GMOs cause any harm at all (that's why the question is begged, i.e., taken for granted without basis or justification).

However, I don't understand the final clause, "... especially when small-scale farmers, using ecological methods, can address the pressing agricultural concerns." What pressing agricultural concerns can they address? Can they feed our growing human population more efficiently?

Why did you believe this quote advances your argument?
      Last edited by salmoned; December 3, 2012, 11:31 AM.
      May I always be found beneath your contempt.

Comment

Double post.
        Last edited by salmoned; December 3, 2012, 11:37 AM. Reason: Please delete - double post

Comment

Why do you want GMOs labeled?
          The main reason we want them labeled is that we see enough independent data to suggest possible health risks. We don’t want to eat them but we can’t know which foods they are in if they aren’t labeled. It’s a basic consumer right we are asking for- given the conflicting data and our mistrust in an industry that has been proven to hide negative findings, we have the right to know what we are buying and putting in our children’s mouths.

Much of the World Already Requires Labeling for Genetically Engineered Foods.

50 countries with over 40% of the world’s population already label genetically engineered foods, including the entire European Union. Even China labels genetically engineered foods. What do these countries know that we don’t?

What’s the issue? If they are so great, why not advertise them? Why does the industry that profits from them fight labeling so vehemently and put so many of their resources into keeping their presence in our foods a secret? Why are corporate rights continually given precedence over consumer rights?

Check out the resources page for links to places that can educate you on the issues. A google search will give thousands more.

Comment

As for me, I would like to have the labeling, so I am able to make my own choices. Do I believe GMO is bad? Don't know, the jury is out as far as long term effects. However, if the product is labeled, I can choose to avoid it and pay the higher prices for the Non-GMO products. But without labeling, I am not given the opportunity to make my own choices. Someone else has made my choice for me, because, I don't know what is and what isn't GMO. By not wanting to label GMO products as GMO, it just raises suspicion.

Look at trans fat for example. Only recently are we finding out that it is bad for our health. We grew up eating margarine instead of butter. Now we are being told that Butter is actually healthier than consuming margarine, because now we know the long term effects of trans fat and have linked some serious problems with its use.

It would be nice to have the information available to make my own choices. If a product is labeled at GMO and you do not believe it is a problem, then you can choose to continue to purchase it.

Please don't confuse this as any type of warning label, like tobacco, this is just an informative stamp to let people know that this is a GMO product. I don't think that, that is asking too much.
            Whoa, Mista Buss Driva, eh, you can stop the buss o wat?

Comment

What’s the issue? If they are so great, why not advertise them?
              Who said they were great? As I understand the majority position, GM techniques are neither great nor awful. They accomplish more efficiently what humans have been doing, anyway, for thousands of years, by selective breeding (and, by the way, reducing biodiversity). Whether a GM technique was used to make a species more convenient for us to cultivate, market, distribute, is just irrelevant to wholesomeness. Even if you are a luddite who would prefer that we all go back to foraging nuts and berries as the Amerindians of California did, it just seems irrational to fix your attention on a particular technique of developing artificial varieties or species.
              Greg

Comment

Okay MM, name a food that you eat that isn't a Genetically Modified Organism. Just one food that hasn't been selectively bred for increased yield, sweetness, flavor or ease of production. One. We've been genetically modifying our food (and our environment) for over 10,000 years. Even culling wild animals results in genetic modification. We are genetically modified by our own reproduction selection - is that a bad thing? Should we not allow self-selection of our reproductive mates? Exactly where does this process become 'bad'? Does genetic manipulation become 'bad' when it's done in a laboratory, but it's okay when done by a farmer's selection of 'naturally mutated' seed or livestock breeding partners?

Here's the bottom line - you're just bitchin' about green eggs and ham while enjoying them, along with a slew of others.

Sam I am.

Biodiversity is not reduced by GMOs, it's reduced by increasing human exploitation of the world's finite resources.

"GMOs = Biodiversity" If that ain't true, nothing's true.
                Last edited by salmoned; December 4, 2012, 03:46 PM.

Comment

Posters here keep accusing MM of wanting to ban GMOs, when his initial posts were about the desire for a law that would require said foods to be labeled as such, so as to provide consumers with additional information that they may desire when they make their food shopping choices. He speaks often of being "wary" of such food products, but (unless I missed something) he has not called for an outright ban - just legislation requiring labeling.

Comment

Originally posted by Leo Lakio View Post
                    Posters here keep accusing MM of wanting to ban GMOs, when his initial posts were about the desire for a law that would require said foods to be labeled as such, ...
                    There is some cause for confusion here, which I complained about above. What reason has been given for labeling that isn't a reason for banning? MM's longest post was about a supposed reduction in biodiversity caused by GMOs. Can you explain to me why this reduction, if true, means we should label GMO products? How would labeling them prevent reduction of biodiversity?
                    Last edited by GregLee; December 4, 2012, 09:11 PM.
                    Greg

Comment

Exactly. Labeling (in this case) is only a means of discriminating between two products that are, in practice, indistinguishable on their own merits. It's equivalent to 'organic' labels - and no one has mandated that organic products be labeled as such or that 'non-organic' products be so labeled. So what exactly makes GMOs a special case? Who has sued for damages due to GMO consumption and won? Where is the smoking gun that provides a compelling case for mandatory GMO labeling? Why aren't you pushing for labeling of all herbicides and pesticides used on fruits and vegetables or more diligent testing of fish for mercury and other toxins? There are thousands of other causes that may actually effect a beneficial result, unlike meaningless GMO/NonGMO labeling.

Let those few who wish to exercise their 'right-to-know' assume the responsibility of paying for that knowledge - with every right comes a responsibility.
                      Last edited by salmoned; December 4, 2012, 09:55 PM.

Comment

I believe GMOs should be labeled so.
                        Others do not.
                        What I have written or researched and shared has not changed their view.
                        Nothing they have shared has changed mine.

Comment

Genetically modified food definition: Meat and edible plants modified through genetic engineering.

Although humans have genetically modified animal and plants since the beginning of civilization, they did it through selective breeding possible only within the same species through natural reproduction over decades or centuries. Modern techniques, however, can transfer genetic material from one organism to another to instantly create utterly different variants. Since alien genes are not welcomed by the existing genes, suppressive techniques must be used to force the animal or plant to accept them. Such artificially mutated foods are a source of unresolved controversy over the uncertainty of their long-term effects on humans and food chains.

Read more: http://www.businessdictionary.com/de...#ixzz2ECLgS9C0

They are actually in some circumstances inserting animal DNA into food plants, not only different plant to plant.

Comment

They are actually in some circumstances inserting animal DNA into food plants, not only different plant to plant.
                            Eew!!!!!!!
                            Greg

Comment

When it's get to a Little Shop of Horrors situation. Then, we've gone too far.

Comment

Genetically modified food definition: Meat and edible plants modified through genetic engineering.

Although humans have genetically modified animal and plants since the beginning of civilization, they did it through selective breeding possible only within the same species through natural reproduction over decades or centuries. Modern techniques, however, can transfer genetic material from one organism to another to instantly create utterly different variants. Since alien genes are not welcomed by the existing genes, suppressive techniques must be used to force the animal or plant to accept them. Such artificially mutated foods are a source of unresolved controversy over the uncertainty of their long-term effects on humans and food chains.

Read more: http://www.businessdictionary.com/de...#ixzz2ECLgS9C0

Genetic engineering is genetic engineering - the results of new techniques produce results that manifest a subset of 'natural' genetic engineering. Even now, natural genetic engineering outpaces artificial genetic engineering by many orders of magnitude - that's what's created the biodiversity we have today. That's life. We're a part of it - not separate from it - there's nothing to worry about here. God approves of this message.

May we someday create organisms that are more successful within their environments than 'wild' organisms? I sure hope so, it will demonstrate our comprehension of the science. Will we create a world-devouring Kudzu? No, we're it!
                                Last edited by salmoned; December 6, 2012, 07:36 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X