Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hair Cuts for free?

F.Y.I. ...

IF anyone at all confronts you & says he/she will give you a " FREE" hair cut, even in a store (by anyone), & says supposedly that they have been cutting hairs for long while, I suggest you turn them down & decline!!. You technically don't have any say in the matter of what kind of hair style you will be getting!!.

Might as well close your eyes, & hope for the best, while your getting a free haircut.

I was in Walmart with my hubby, looking for a cell phone, & a nice/kind young woman came up to me & offered me a free haircut, & so I accepted.

NOW in my mind, I was remembering when I had a free haircut when I was young probably when I was in middle school days, I think it was in Ala Moana with my mom, it turned out great, & I liked it, so I thought this one would turn out great also. NOPE!!, I already had a short hair to begin with, but it was growing out of it, & I was thinking of getting a haircut any way.

So, when I got there in JSalon, it took the young woman 2 to 3 hours to cut my hair, what was worse, it was cold inside, & I was getting hungry!!. She promised me that I would have a really nice hair cut, I think it was some kind of school salon for hair, any way, needless to say, when she was finished, she handed me the portable mirror to look at it, & all I could say was "it made my face look rounder". lol. , I really didn't thank her, nor did I even give her a tip, because I ended up looking like Justin Beiber , so, I just wore my hoody jacket, pulled up my hoody on my head to cover it up, while I waited for my hubby to pick me up. When I got home, I managed to fix it up, & it actually looked a little better than what it started out with. NOW I am just waiting for it to actually grow back. Take it from me, if anyone offers you a "FREE HAIR CUT" from anyone at all, I would suggest you say no & decline, just go with who know, & from your past experience.

Otherwise if you say yes, & accept, you are just taking your chances of getting a hair style you may not like at the end.

That will be the worse experience & a lesson learned for me!!.
    Aches & Pains
    (through out our lives) knows no time!!.

Re: Hair Cuts for free??

I try not to let anyone near my head with scissors unless I sought them out for a business relationship first.

Comment

Originally posted by Serenity View Post
      [B] I think it was some kind of school salon for hair,
      I have been to many fundraiser-type events, where professional stylists have done "free" haircuts (but appreciate a donation to the fundraising efforts), and the work they did was super.

The problem with your experience is you did not check in to "who" was doing the cutting... (some stranger in front of Walmart??), and if they were qualified or experienced. Sorry you had to learn that by ending up with a "bad hair day".
      Now run along and play, but don’t get into trouble.

Comment

Originally posted by Serenity View Post
        […]When I got home, I managed to fix it up, & it actually looked a little better than what it started out with.
        If it looked a little better after you restyled it then it sounds to me like you got a decent cut but the "stranger" styled it poorly.
        Otherwise if you say yes, & accept, you are just taking your chances of getting a hair style you may not like at the end.[…]
        That's a given, Serenity. "Stranger". "Free". "Walmart". Three red flags.

Comment

When I hear 'free hair cuts,' I think of the perhaps mythical place on campus at UH where styling students would offer their freshly-learned talents gratis to students as part of their education. Graduating to a real human specimen after working with mannequin's and wigs. I'm not sure if this happened, or is still happening, but while I appreciated the idea, I never sought to take advantage of the service. As the saying goes, you get what you pay for.

Of course, I've also gotten a horrible haircut at Supercuts, which I felt like I also overpaid for... but a friend said the mistake was going to Supercuts in the first place. Since I'm not willing to pay salon rates to lower my ears, I guess I'm just taking my chances.

I'm lucky to have a regular barber who's been cutting my hair since I had to sit on telephone books. I'm very afraid of her retirement. I may just shave my head, or go Cousin It.

Comment

Way back in the day when I lived close to downtown, I used to have my hair styled at the Hawaii Institute of Hair Design. It wasn't free, but for a nominal charge, you would be groomed by a student under the supervision of a instructor. And if the final result didn't look quite right, the instructor would step in to provide the necessary fixes.
            This post may contain an opinion that may conflict with your opinion. Do not take it personal. Polite discussion of difference of opinion is welcome.

Comment

At least that person didn't cut off part of the ear and then try to glue it together as Petco in Kaneohe did to a dog.

Comment

Free haircuts are no longer a problem, just set the clippers to 0 and buzz it all off, I usually do my own. Last month at Paul Brown's they did freebees for a donated can of food for the needy. They seemed to have picked up where the Hair College left off. Not much improvement.
                I once had to dog the Institute's mgr. down Fort St. as she tried to flee my questions of such pathetic business practices I encountered there after a typically disastous visit. Poor idiot was near tears by the time I'd finished with her, but she deserved it. I knew then to have the head super right there from the very start, essentially have the super do the job since nobody even knew what a high and tight flat top was. But Stupidcuts was almost as bad.

Now that there are no old Filipino barbers around, and I can't get on base any more, and not willing to chance it again, where can I get a perfect flat top without needing a roll of cash?
                Last edited by Ron Whitfield; December 3, 2012, 12:54 PM.
                https://www.facebook.com/Bobby-Ingan...5875444640256/

Comment

Free haircuts by students can be fun. Just remember that it's always a gamble to get to the finished results.

And anyway, the hair eventually grows back.
                  http://thissmallfrenchtown.blogspot.com/
                  http://thefrenchneighbor.blogspot.com/

Comment

Heck,
                    My hair just keeps falling out.
                    I am not going to pay someone to snip off what is left of my pate.

I paid damned good money for what is left.

Comment

Cut my own hair with a Whal home system.
                      Very close to free considering the amount of cuts done.
                      Can use various cutting lengths or growing of course.
                      Life is either an adventure... or you're not doing it right!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Menehune Man View Post
                        Cut my own hair with a Whal home system.
                        Very close to free considering the amount of cuts done.
                        Can use various cutting lengths or growing of course.
                        That's what my mom does too, she cuts her own hair. If she lived here in Oahu Hawaii, I would have asked her to cut my hair, but unfortunately, she lives in the mainland. Oh well.

Thanks for the reply though.
                        Aches & Pains

Comment

Originally posted by lensperson View Post
                          Heck,
                          My hair just keeps falling out.
                          I am not going to pay someone to snip off what is left of my pate.

I paid damned good money for what is left.
                          Enjoy what you have left .
                          Aches & Pains

Comment

Originally posted by SusieMisajon View Post
                            Free haircuts by students can be fun. Just remember that it's always a gamble to get to the finished results.

And anyway, the hair eventually grows back.
                            "And anyway, the hair eventually grows back"
                            Yes that is true . I am still waiting for mine to grow back. Next time I will learn. I will just go the one I know & know that he or she is more experienced with hair.
                            Aches & Pains

Comment

Originally posted by Walkoff Balk View Post
                              At least that person didn't cut off part of the ear and then try to glue it together as Petco in Kaneohe did to a dog.
                              yeah no kidding, I was glad to leave there with my ears intact.
                              Aches & Pains

Comment

Working...
                              X