Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Hair Cuts for free??

Originally posted by Frankie's Market View Post
    Way back in the day when I lived close to downtown, I used to have my hair styled at the Hawaii Institute of Hair Design. It wasn't free, but for a nominal charge, you would be groomed by a student under the supervision of a instructor. And if the final result didn't look quite right, the instructor would step in to provide the necessary fixes.
    I hope you liked your hair cut then. I hope they were actually good.
    Aches & Pains
    (through out our lives) knows no time!!.

Comment

Originally posted by pzarquon View Post
      When I hear 'free hair cuts,' I think of the perhaps mythical place on campus at UH where styling students would offer their freshly-learned talents gratis to students as part of their education. Graduating to a real human specimen after working with mannequin's and wigs. I'm not sure if this happened, or is still happening, but while I appreciated the idea, I never sought to take advantage of the service. As the saying goes, you get what you pay for.
      fortunately for me, I didn't pay for anything & neither did I even give a tip!!. I really didn't like it after the fact, but I just didn't want to make an issue of it right there & then & embarrass myself.

Of course, I've also gotten a horrible haircut at Supercuts, which I felt like I also overpaid for... but a friend said the mistake was going to Supercuts in the first place. Since I'm not willing to pay salon rates to lower my ears, I guess I'm just taking my chances.
      I also had a one last bad experience with supercuts too, the once before that, were not too bad, but the very last one, I really didn't like, I was so disappointed int the hair cut that the person on the cashier just gave me the haircut for free.

I'm lucky to have a regular barber who's been cutting my hair since I had to sit on telephone books. I'm very afraid of her retirement. I may just shave my head, or go Cousin It.
      hubby & I have a hair stylist/barber for a long time too, we hope she doesn't retire anytime soon, she cuts our hair really well . I wouldn't want to start looking like cousin It. lol.
      Aches & Pains

Comment

Originally posted by tutusue View Post
        If it looked a little better after you restyled it then it sounds to me like you got a decent cut but the "stranger" styled it poorly.

That's a given, Serenity. "Stranger". "Free". "Walmart". Three red flags.
        Yeah, thanks for the wake up call, especially some stranger off of Walmart too. lol. Next time that happens, I will just have to say NO!!. or no thank you. I don't care where it is, if its not in our hairstylist's place, I will not let them cut my hair, even if it is for free.
        Aches & Pains

Comment

Originally posted by Amati View Post
          I have been to many fundraiser-type events, where professional stylists have done "free" haircuts (but appreciate a donation to the fundraising efforts), and the work they did was super.
          I am glad you liked your hair cut .

The problem with your experience is you did not check in to "who" was doing the cutting... (some stranger in front of Walmart??), and if they were qualified or experienced. Sorry you had to learn that by ending up with a "bad hair day".
          That's true. I think the fact that I didn't check up on it, was that she told me that supposedly her only opening day was the next day, & I trusted her that she would give me a nice hair cut. oh well.

It is just a lesson learned. At least I didn't give her a tip, cuz I did not like it at all. I just hope she wasn't expecting me to give her a tip. she took 2 to 3 hours just to cut my hair & have her teacher help her along the line & to watch her off & on.
          Aches & Pains

Comment

Originally posted by Leo Lakio View Post
            I try not to let anyone near my head with scissors unless I sought them out for a business relationship first.
            That's good , & that is so true!!.
            Aches & Pains

Comment

Originally posted by Ron Whitfield View Post
              Free haircuts are no longer a problem, just set the clippers to 0 and buzz it all off, I usually do my own. Last month at Paul Brown's they did freebees for a donated can of food for the needy. They seemed to have picked up where the Hair College left off. Not much improvement.
              I once had to dog the Institute's mgr. down Fort St. as she tried to flee my questions of such pathetic business practices I encountered there after a typically disastrous visit. Poor idiot was near tears by the time I'd finished with her, but she deserved it. I knew then to have the head super right there from the very start, essentially have the super do the job since nobody even knew what a high and tight flat top was. But Stupidcuts was almost as bad.

Now that there are no old Filipino barbers around, and I can't get on base any more, and not willing to chance it again, where can I get a perfect flat top without needing a roll of cash?
              If you cut your own hair, the more the better, & don't even trust those people at Stupid Cuts!!.

Did you try to google a barber to cut your hair the way you you want it?
              Last edited by Serenity; December 12, 2012, 05:33 PM.
              Aches & Pains

Comment

Re: Hair Cuts for free?

Supercuts is like any other hair salon or barber shop, there can hair-cutters with "good" skills and those with "not so good" skills. Heck, I've had very nice cuts at Supercuts (for cheap), and terrible cuts at private salons (for expensive). The skill of the hair-cutter is what matters ... it is not dependent on the location of the cutter, but instead on the skill of the cutter.
                Now run along and play, but don’t get into trouble.

Comment

Re: Hair Cuts for free?

Originally posted by Amati View Post
                  Supercuts is like any other hair salon or barber shop, there can hair-cutters with "good" skills and those with "not so good" skills. Heck, I've had very nice cuts at Supercuts (for cheap), and terrible cuts at private salons (for expensive). The skill of the hair-cutter is what matters ... it is not dependent on the location of the cutter, but instead on the skill of the cutter.
                  *Thumbs up!!*. &....

Well said!!.
                  Aches & Pains

Comment

Working...
                  X