X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Gun Control

Originally posted by Ron Whitfield View Post
    That'll soon end.

As offensive as any killing is, I find it much more offensive that anyone would embrace giving killers the infinite upper hand by restricting the good citizens the ability/opportunity to save their life or the lives of others with defensive weaponry.
    You could have just as easily said:

As offensive as smoking is, I find it much more offensive that anyone would embrace giving non-smokers the infinite upper hand by restricting smoking and smokers the ability/opportunity to smoke wherever they want because anything else would be a restriction on their constitutional rights.

STRICT GUN CONTROL NOW!
    Peace, Love, and Local Grindz

People who form FIRM opinions with so little knowledge only pretend to be open-minded. They select their facts like food from a buffet. David R. Dow

Comment

Smoking is a privilege, while defending one's life/well being is a right, and a necessity.
      https://www.facebook.com/Bobby-Ingan...5875444640256/

Comment

Smoking is a privilege, while defending one's life/well being is a right, and a necessity.
        Smokers feel that smoking is a "right" and a "necessity", but that doesn't make them correct.

STRICT GUN CONTROL NOW!

People who form FIRM opinions with so little knowledge only pretend to be open-minded. They select their facts like food from a buffet. David R. Dow

Comment

Originally posted by matapule View Post
          It is nice when others demonstrate my point for me.
          Yep, it is. Thanx.

Comment

Here's what Bill Maher says about gun control:

"Maybe our constipated Congress can't pass gun control laws, but we (California) just did. Lots of 'em. Because we don't give a shit about the NRA. Out here that stands for "Nuts, Racists, and A$$holes." So while the rest of America is debating whether it's a good idea to allow guns in bars or a great idea to allow guns in bars, California is about to ban lead bullets. Which is a no-brainer, because bullets don't need lead, and lead kills birds and gets into the food supply of people who hunt their own food. Which explains why Ted Nugent is such a raving lunatic."

STRICT GUN CONTROL NOW!

Comment

Full metal jacket, baby! Feel better now?

Comment

Here's what Bill Maher says about gun control:

Because we don't give a shit about the NRA. Out here that stands for "Nuts, Racists, and A$$holes."

Which explains why Ted Nugent is such a raving lunatic."
                It's interesting when someone feels the need to duhumanize those who don't agree with them. I mean if your argument is strong, you don't need to resort to school yard name calling. Feels like insecurity to me.

Or maybe it's frustration at being impotent, at not being able to impose your will on others. People should focus more on controlling what they can, such as themselves.

Though it seems these days people are barely able to control themselves.

"By concealing your desires, you may trick people into being cruel about the wrong thing." --Steven Aylett, Fain the Sorcerer
                "You gotta get me to the tall corn." --David Mamet, Spartan
                "
                Amateurs talk technology, professionals talk conditions." --(unknown)

Comment

Originally posted by MyopicJoe View Post
                  It's interesting when someone feels the need to duhumanize those who don't agree with them. I mean if your argument is strong, you don't need to resort to school yard name calling. Feels like insecurity to me.

Or maybe it's frustration at being impotent, at not being able to impose your will on others.
                  And you are the one criticizing others for name calling? You are just kidding right?

Bill Maher is a comedian and satirist. His comments should be taken in that vein, at least I did! I have never considered you one of either. IF your premise is correct.......are you trying to tell us that you are also insecure, impotent, and trying to impose your will on us?

STRICT GUN CONTROL NOW!

Comment

Full metal jacket, baby! Feel better now?
                    No, I don't feel better with gun nuts with your attitude running around out there on the loose.

STRICT GUN CONTROL NOW!

Comment

And you are the one criticizing others for name calling? You are just kidding right?

Bill Maher is a comedian and satirist. His comments should be taken in that vein, at least I did! I have never considered you one of either. IF your premise is correct.......are you trying to tell us that you are also insecure, impotent, and trying to impose your will on us?
                      I'm just saying come up with interesting discussion points, because it's rather dull in here
                      "By concealing your desires, you may trick people into being cruel about the wrong thing." --Steven Aylett, Fain the Sorcerer
                      "

Comment

How about more stories about the Peace Corps or other humanitarian work. Tie it in with gun control, violence, human nature, etc.

People are influenced by personal stories. I mean protect your privacy and all that, but I found your discussions about conflict management in Samoan culture to be interesting.
                        "

Comment

If you have some specific questions about my experience in the Tongan culture I would be happy to answer them in the appropriate thread.

With regards to guns in Tongan culture, there weren't any, even the national police didn't carry any. There were a lot of machetes in circulation but they were a utility tool used for cutting grass, chopping down a stalk of bananas, opening coconuts, cutting pathways in the vao (forest), etc. Even I had one as a necessary aid to make life more comfortable. In my two years there, I never heard of any incident where they (machetes) were used as a weapon. Conflicts were handled by social pressure. The nobles and matapules would intervene when necessary and resolve conflicts and their's was the final word. That was the culture.

In history, the Tongans were noted as the most "warlike" of the Polynesian people. The only reason I can think for this was the fact that the islands were more spread out than any of the other Polynesian sub-cultures. It was a matter of survival for the early Tongans because their numbers were very dispersed (but this is a topic for a completely different thread). The weapons for war were primarily clubs with large stones attached or studded with sharks teeth. As I recall, Captain Cook was dispatched on Hawai'i by a club with a stone attached.

I do know from my experience in Tonga that some individual Tongans were banned from their ancestral village for unspecified offenses. I knew one guy who lived with his wife apart from the village for some offense. I never did inquire what that offense was, that would have been very rude to pry in someone else business in Tongan society. On the radio, Tongan station ZCO, I heard of one Tongan who was released from prison and then went on a crime spree but was apprehended and sent back to jail. But that was in the capitol, Nukualofa, about 200 miles south of our island.

The only murder I personally know about in Tonga occurred about 6 years after we left Tonga. One Peace Corps volunteer stabbed to death another female Peace Corps volunteer out of a fit of jealousy and envy on the island of Tongatapu. A book was written about the incident. The perpetrator pleaded guilty and was released to the US to serve his 25 year sentence. Upon returning to the US he was immediately released on an appeal of "temporary insanity." Currently the guy is married and lives in New Jersey. This IS NOT a proud moment in the annals of Peace Corps volunteerism. Why are the people of the US some of the most violent on the face of the earth?

There were no gun homicides in Tonga because, obviously, there were no guns available to the general public. Get it? No guns means no gun violence particularly mass murders! Yes there was the occasional violence with knives and machetes but it was very rare and it was one on one.

The US society is not an exceptional one like many of us think we are. We are a society that has evolved into one of complacency, arrogance, and violence. In my opinion one that is comparatively uncivilized and primitive. The only thing that is going to change that is change from within. A complete restructuring of society. The first step is to control the availability of guns. Guns means gun violence. It is up to each one of us individually to lobby for sensible gun regulation. Silence means acquiescence and acquiescence exacerbates the problem.

STRICT GUN CONTROL NOW!

Comment

No, I don't feel better with gun nuts with your attitude running around out there on the loose.
                            The attitude of preferring the opportunity for self defense in a kill crazy society? HEAVEN FORBID!

Comment

If you have some specific questions about my experience in the Tongan culture I would be happy to answer them in the appropriate thread.
                              My apologies for getting it wrong. I'll start a new thread when I have a break. Thanks for sharing.
                              "

Comment

Now there'll probably be a bunch of crazy libruls trying to ban guns in church:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/0...ef=mostpopular

Comment

Working...
                                X