Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Paranoid Gun Control Enthusiasts

Originally posted by Kaonohi View Post
    I currently have been banned from possessing guns because I was a soldier in the Vietnam war. Because I served my country by carrying a gun, I can no longer carry a gun. Talk about poetic justice!
    Originally posted by Amati View Post
    What? More details on that policy please, it does not make sense. I know that a felon can no longer possess a gun, but an ex-soldier cannot possess a gun?
    Our beloved friend, Kaonohi, may have unintentionally misled you with his statement.

If I recall correctly, he has noted before that he is not permitted to possess a firearm because someone has diagnosed him with PTSD. The ban on his possession is not so much "because" he served us, but it is as a direct result of his service.

Whether or not that ban is fair treatment of him is not for us to say or know - it is between Kaonohi and his doctors. But from his postings and conversations we've had, I think he has an experienced respect and attitude towards guns, their use and what they can do.

Comment

Originally posted by matapule View Post
      How do you justify that presumption? Personally, I haven't been to a movie theater in probably 20 years.
      My comment was NOT intended to insert YOU as an example, Matapule. It was a general commentary on the movement towards [various forms] of gun control, while at the same time, there is support of the glamorization of gun violence shown by those who pay to see it in certain action-type-movies.

Originally posted by GregLee View Post
      That question is for you to answer, since you're the one proposing some sort of censorship or boycott. How about the description of violence in books? Do you think it is wrong to buy a copy of War and Peace? How about history books?
      I was pointing out the hypocrisy of some people in our society, who on one hand will advocate for gun control [elimination of personal ownership], while at the same time enjoy the story-line of gun violence "when it is convenient" (such as in a shoot-em-up-action-movie). I've not said that all people fit that combined description. And I've not equated shoot-em-up-car-chase-movies with war stories or history.

Originally posted by Leo Lakio View Post
      Our beloved friend, Kaonohi, may have unintentionally misled you with his statement. If I recall correctly, he has noted before that he is not permitted to possess a firearm because someone has diagnosed him with PTSD.
      Thanks, that extra info makes a difference in clarifying what the circumstances are, and on which law/rule is being applied. Wellness and peace to our friend Kaonohi.

Meanwhile, more "for thought": Because a poster on HT poses a question, it does automatically identify whether they support or oppose the idea being brought forth.
      Last edited by Amati; December 7, 2012, 12:32 PM.
      Now run along and play, but don’t get into trouble.

Comment

Meanwhile, more "for thought": Because a poster on HT poses a question, it does automatically identify whether they support or oppose the idea being brought forth.
        Yikes, sorry, my typing and editing got my sentence messed up. I meant to end up with:

Because a poster on HT poses a question, it does NOT automatically identify whether they support or oppose the idea being brought forth.

Comment

What? More details on that policy please, it does not make sense. I know that a felon can no longer possess a gun, but an ex-soldier cannot possess a gun?
          Sorry, I guess I was generalizing too far. Some vets can own guns in some places, the policy is different in different places.

Many Combat Veterans suffer from PTSD - Post Traumatic Stress Disorder. I do. Mine results from guilt over missing a vehicle mine (actually I knew it was there but my teammates couldn't find it, and I trusted them) that caused two US casualties. To this day, 24 years later, it still causes anguish, but it does not make me want to hurt anyone.

My disorder results in mostly hypervigilance, but HPD refuses gun ownership to anyone with documented PTSD.
          Last edited by Kaonohi; December 8, 2012, 10:54 AM.
          Be Yourself. Everyone Else Is Taken!
          ~ ~
          Kaʻonohiʻulaʻokahōkūmiomioʻehiku
          Spreading the virus of ALOHA.
          Oh Chu. If only you could have seen what I've seen, with your eyes.

Comment

Re: Gun Control

Kaonohi, thank you for having served our country. I am sorry that you have lasting sadness and guilt, I hope eventually you are able to come to having the mental peace you deserve.

Comment

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/1...tml?ref=topbar

Would this happen in a non gun store?

Comment

It was a general commentary

And there is your mistake
                on the movement towards [various forms] of gun control,
                What movement for gun control? There isn't any serious movement I know of. However I am personally advocating for one. I have a couple of other personal supporters (family) I know of but other than that, that's the extent of the movement.
                while at the same time, there is support of the glamorization of gun violence shown by those who pay to see it in certain action-type-movies.
                That is a presumption that you have failed to support except through anecdotal evidence. Just because a movie (book, video game, etc.) is violent does not necessarily make it profitable.
                I was pointing out the hypocrisy of some people in our society, who on one hand will advocate for gun control [elimination of personal ownership], while at the same time enjoy the story-line of gun violence "when it is convenient" (such as in a shoot-em-up-action-movie).
                Who, what people? You have put forward a hypothesis without any support.
                Peace, Love, and Local Grindz

People who form FIRM opinions with so little knowledge only pretend to be open-minded. They select their facts like food from a buffet. David R. Dow

Comment

I hope eventually you are able to come to having the mental peace you deserve.
                  ...and I would like to add "while you live."

Comment

Yes, peace to us all, and while we are here to enjoy it of course.

Comment

Yes, peace to us all, and while we are here to enjoy it of course.
                      I do not have any firearms in my fale. Statistically I will live longer than those who do. Please, don't believe me, look it up!

People who form FIRM opinions with so little knowledge only pretend to be open-minded. They select their facts like food from a buffet. David R. Dow

Comment

Originally posted by matapule View Post
                        1)I do not have any firearms in my fale. 2)Statistically I will live longer than those who do. 3)Please, don't believe me, look it up!
                        1)I don't either and won't. Believe other good citizens should if they wish though.
                        2) Maybe but we can't truly protect ourselves from the 'bad' humans that do if faced with that predicament. Don't think that the police can, because they can't.
                        3) Statistically speaking few folks crossing the street will be hit by a bus, but there are still the ones that will.
                        In other words there are folks that have saved themselves and loved ones by owning guns and knowing how to responsibly use them.

As far as gun control... I believe that gun shows that sell all manner of guns then and there with minimal requirements are ridiculous. And very, very harsh jail time should be inflicted upon criminals that use guns. In the hopes of determent. The criminals already have them so gun control laws as far as acquiring a gun does not affect them. IMO
                        Life is either an adventure... or you're not doing it right!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Menehune Man View Post
                          we can't truly protect ourselves from the 'bad' humans that do if faced with that predicament.
                          What "predicament" would that be? Statistically, what are your chances of finding yourself in that "predicament?"

Statistically speaking few folks crossing the street will be hit by a bus, but there are still the ones that will.
                          You miss my point. If you don't cross the street, your chances of being hit by a bus are much less than those that do.

In other words there are folks that have saved themselves and loved ones by owning guns and knowing how to responsibly use them.
                          What does that have to do with gun control? I can quote even greater statistics of people that have saved themselves and loved ones by NOT owning guns.

The criminals already have them so gun control laws as far as acquiring a gun does not affect them. IMO
                          You are buying into the NRA argument which is statistically incorrect. How do you explain that countries with lower gun ownership have lower levels of gun violence? Evidently you did not click on my reference above.

Comment

I do try. I think my death will be a comfort, of sorts; but who knows?

Remember Barry? He and I shared similar symptoms; He was with the Brit version of CIA, had seizures (I do) undiagnosed and uncontrolled.

I'd like peace while I still live, but I think it's an impossible dream.

Gun control will not give me rest.
                            ~ ~

Comment

As far as gun control... I believe that gun shows that sell all manner of guns then and there with minimal requirements are ridiculous. And very, very harsh jail time should be inflicted upon criminals that use guns. In the hopes of determent. The criminals already have them so gun control laws as far as acquiring a gun does not affect them. IMO
                              In Hawai`i, at least, there are NO guns that are sold at gun shows without proper paperwork and follow-up. ALL sales of firearms in Hawai`i are checked by (approved or not by) HPD and validated. I think this is right. I also think they are excessive, but better that than the other.
                              ~ ~

Comment

1)I don't either (own guns) and won't. Believe other good citizens should if they wish though.
                                You believe that other people should be able to own guns even though you, your wife, your children, and grandchildren will grow up in and live in a more violent society than the contrary? It is amazing that people will support policies that are contrary to their best interests. Elderly people and their support of the Teapublican party is another example.

Comment

Working...
                                X