Gun Control

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Gun Control

I'm sure you've heard the phrase "everyone and their mother." Well, this past Friday it was "everyone and their grandmother" at several Hawaii gun stores.

At one I watched a grey-haired grandmother buy a handgun. She was complaining about gun legislation. I was happy to hear her asking about training.

At Sports Authority, I watched another grandmother buy .357 Magnum ammunition.

At a third store, I watched a father handling a bolt-action .22 LR rifle he was considering getting for his middle-school-aged daughter whom he brought with him.

I also saw an assortment of husband/wives and boyfriends/girlfriends.
    "By concealing your desires, you may trick people into being cruel about the wrong thing." --Steven Aylett, Fain the Sorcerer
    "You gotta get me to the tall corn." --David Mamet, Spartan
    "
    Amateurs talk technology, professionals talk conditions." --(unknown)

Comment

There will probably be another buy back in the Seattle area.

Consider this.

The entire area will be covered by numerous cameras both fixed and mobile.

The plates of the buyers cars will be entered into an NSA database

Comment

Originally posted by GregLee View Post
        On the off-chance you actually don't know, liberals favor gun control and conservatives are against it, ordinarily.
        And where do you get those statistics?

You Conservative Teapubicans LOST the election. Strict gun control now!
        Peace, Love, and Local Grindz

People who form FIRM opinions with so little knowledge only pretend to be open-minded. They select their facts like food from a buffet. David R. Dow

Comment

Originally posted by MyopicJoe View Post
          I also saw an assortment of husband/wives and boyfriends/girlfriends.
          So what? This past Friday I saw tens of thousands of people who weren't at gun stores.

People who form FIRM opinions with so little knowledge only pretend to be open-minded. They select their facts like food from a buffet. David R. Dow

Comment

Originally posted by matapule View Post
            And where do you get those statistics?

You Conservative Teapubicans LOST the election. Strict gun control now!
            Your question makes no sense.
            Greg

Comment

• Law Control

And so what? What are you implying? What does being a liberal have to do with gun control?
              Oh come on....

Liberals like to make new laws, conservatives like to keep things as they are.
              It's inherent in their names!
              Be Yourself. Everyone Else Is Taken!
              ~ ~
              Kaʻonohiʻulaʻokahōkūmiomioʻehiku
              Spreading the virus of ALOHA.
              Oh Chu. If only you could have seen what I've seen, with your eyes.

Comment

A public hearing has been scheduled for SB932:

Room 229
                2/08/2013
                1:35 PM
                "By concealing your desires, you may trick people into being cruel about the wrong thing." --Steven Aylett, Fain the Sorcerer
                "

Comment

A public hearing has been scheduled for SB932:

Room 229
                  2/08/2013
                  1:35 PM
                  Those of you who are sick and tired of being bullied by the gun nut lobby, the carnage of gun violence, and proliferation guns and gun nuts in your neighborhood, please attend the hearing and voice your support for strict gun control now.

Comment

Senate Bill 69 proposes spending $100,000 of state money on a gun buy-back program.
                    Another public hearing will be held:

Room 224
                    2/07/2013
                    2:45 PM
                    "

Comment

So what?
                      Just showing that all sorts of ordinary people are gun owners
                      "

Comment

Those of you who are sick and tired of being bullied by the gun nut lobby, the carnage of gun violence, and proliferation guns and gun nuts in your neighborhood, please attend the hearing and voice your support for strict gun control now.
                        The more people the better. If you've never submitted testimony, give it a try. At the very least read through the testimony that's recorded and available via a link on the right side of a bill's page. See what other people have to say.

Apathy is the enemy of democracy. If you want to change the world, you need to change yourself. The first step towards changing yourself is to become aware of the things you do that you're not conscious of.

Learn how emotions control us more than we think.

Learn the difference between paranoia and instinctual fear, and how instinctual fear can both protect you and free you from excessive worry.

Learn why having knee surgery, having your hips replaced, or wearing braces isn't a normal nor inevitable part of getting older and can be avoided.
                        Last edited by MyopicJoe; February 6, 2013, 04:24 PM.
                        "

Comment

I remember a long time ago, when I was standing in line at Lex Brodies. I didn't notice it at first, but after a while I realized the guy ahead of me had a handgun holstered on his belt…and he wasn't a police officer. It didn't take long to figure out he was just an armored car guard. He wasn't threatening in any way. In fact, he looked really bored.

Regardless, I couldn't take my eyes off his gun, as if he would trip and the gun would kill everyone line. That was before I had any first hand experience with guns. It wasn't until my dad told me I should learn how to use them that I learned what guns can and can't do. Not necessarily own one, but at least know how to use one (there's more than just puling the trigger).

Nowadays I can be at the gun range, surrounded by guns, and be bored like the guard I saw years ago. Of course, if I see someone handling a gun in an unsafe manner, that'll get my heart pumping!

We fear that which we don't understand. You should consider getting yourself basic gun safety training, so you know the difference between reality and Hollywood. Guns should be respected and not feared (nor worshiped).

By the way, if someone takes you out shooting for the first time, insist on shooting a .22 caliber gun first. Don't let them start you out on a .357 or .44 Magnum. Shame on them if they do.

You want to start out on a rifle before a handgun. Use the heaviest gun you can comfortably hold. Smaller guns may look "safer", but they have nastier recoil. Heavier guns absorb most of the shock for you.

Also, a bullet's caliber (diameter) doesn't tell the whole story. In addition to the size of the bullet, the amount of gun powder behind it is important. These two rounds have roughly the same caliber (diameter):

The one on the left is called a .22 Long Rifle (what all beginners should shoot first), while the one on the right is a .223 Remington (which has much more gun powder behind the bullet).
                          "

Comment

Just showing that all sorts of ordinary people are gun owners
                            Exactly. Anti-gun nutts like Matapule see guns as some sort of 'magic wand.'

In fact, guns are a tool, like a hammer, crowbar or screwdriver, each equally able to kill in small or large quantties. Guns are just another tool.

As Maka reminds us, guns are more able to be diverted to illegal purposes, as easily as other tools, but with increasing detriment.

We cannot surrender our tools any more than we can give up hammers, crowbars, etc., but we can put restrictions on them; much as we do not allow unqualified people to drive cars, or operate heavy equipment.

What we CAN do is back off from unlimited restrictions in favor of limited and sensible restrictions. Knee-jerk reactions makes merely jerks. Sensible restrictions creates a sensible society.

Reacting to events over which we had no control is immature and sophomoric.
                            Analyizing the reasons and deciding what steps are importent to prevent future occurances is sensible.

Few anti-gun nuts are sensible; they are reactive. They will not solve problems, they will only moan and groan.

I support sensible control over guns; i do not support reaction over events.

More people die daily from Tobaccoo, automobile accidents and other causes than by firearms. Yetnwe have no public outcry, because most of the KILLERS are smokers, ALCOHOLIC DRIVERS and the like, who do not carry guns.

Hypocracy!
                            Be Yourself. Everyone Else Is Taken!
                            ~ ~
                            Kaʻonohiʻulaʻokahōkūmiomioʻehiku
                            Spreading the virus of ALOHA.
                            Oh Chu. If only you could have seen what I've seen, with your eyes.

Comment

Learn the difference between paranoia and instinctual fear, and how instinctual fear can both protect you and free you from excessive worry.
                              And instinctual fear can be debilitating and irrational. It can lead to mental illness which is difficult to treat.

Comment

The one on the left is called a .22 Long Rifle (what all beginners should shoot first), while the one on the right is a .223 Remington (which has much more gun powder behind the bullet).
                                And both are equally lethal.

Comment

Working...
                                X