Gun Control

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Gun Control

A California State Legislator has been threatened with assassination because of his efforts to curb gun violence. This shows the extent to which some gun nuts will go to enforce their paranoid and sociopathic agenda. Neither the legislator nor I will be intimidated by these bullies.

Strict gun control now!
    Peace, Love, and Local Grindz

People who form FIRM opinions with so little knowledge only pretend to be open-minded. They select their facts like food from a buffet. David R. Dow

Comment

• Re: Gun Control - Current Federal Laws and efficiency

NRA and NICS
      The National Rifle Association supported the establishment of the National Criminal Instant Background Check System (NICS) [1], and we support it to this day. At its creation, we advocated that NICS checks be accurate; fair; and truly instant. The reason for this is that 99% of those who go through NICS checks are law-abiding citizens, who are simply trying to exercise their fundamental, individual Right to Keep and Bear Arms.

Dealers
      Since 1986, those engaged in the business of selling firearms for livelihood and profit have been required to have a Federal Firearms License (FFL). All retail sales of firearms currently require a NICS check, no matter where they occur.

Private Sales
      Regarding the issue of private firearms sales, it is important to note that since 1968, it has been a federal felony for any private person to sell, trade, give, lend, rent or transfer a gun to a person he either knows or reasonably should know is not legally allowed to purchase or possess a firearm.

Mental Health Records and NICS
      According to a recent General Accounting Office study, as of 2011 23 states and the District of Columbia submitted less than 100 mental health records to NICS; 17 states submitted less than ten mental health records to NICS; and four states submitted no mental health records to NICS.[2]

Gun Shows
      A common misrepresentation is that criminals obtain firearms through sales at gun shows.

A 1997 Bureau of Justice Statistics survey of state prison inmates who had used or possessed firearms in the course of their crimes found that 79 percent acquired their firearms from “street/illegal sources” or “friends or family.”
      Only 1.7 percent obtained firearms from anyone (dealer or non-dealer) at a gun show or flea market.[3]

Prosecutions
      In 2010, the FBI denied 72,659 NICS checks out of a total of 14,409,616. But only 62 of these cases were actually prosecuted, and only 13 resulted in a conviction.[4]

“Universal Background Checks”
      While the term “universal background checks” may sound reasonable on its face, the details of what such a system would entail reveal something quite different. A mandate for truly “universal” background checks would require every transfer, sale, purchase, trade, gift, rental, or loan of a firearm between all private individuals to be pre-approved by the federal government. In other words, it would criminalize all private firearms transfers, even between family members or friends who have known each other all of their lives.

According to a January 2013 report from the U.S. Department of Justice’s National Institute of Justice, the effectiveness of “universal background checks” depends on requiring gun registration.[5] In other words, the only way that the government could fully enforce such a requirement would be to mandate the registration of all firearms in private possession – a requirement that has been prohibited by federal law since 1986.
      Be Yourself. Everyone Else Is Taken!
      ~ ~
      Kaʻonohiʻulaʻokahōkūmiomioʻehiku
      Spreading the virus of ALOHA.
      Oh Chu. If only you could have seen what I've seen, with your eyes.

Comment

4 dead in Orange County shooting in a neighborhood where I partied with friends back in the '60's. Background noise, number of victims too low to attract any press attention.

Comment

Originally posted by Amati View Post
          SB69: Appropriates $100,000 to the county police departments to initiate a gun buy-back program.

SB932: Prohibits any person who is a danger to self or danger to others from possessing, having custody or control of, receiving, purchasing, or attempting to receive or purchase firearms or other dangerous or deadly weapons. Creates a reporting system for persons who seriously threaten a readily identifiable person or persons to a mental health professional. Requires the department of public safety to create a database and list of persons prohibited from possessing, having custody or control of, receiving, purchasing, or attempting to receive or purchase firearms and other dangerous or deadly weapons, which will be accessible to law enforcement, mental health professionals, and sellers of firearms. Requires the department of public safety to make a list of persons whose license for firearms or other dangerous or deadly weapons has been revoked. Excepts any communication under the Act from applicable privileges.
          Upcoming legislative deadlines:
          • Feb. 20 - Feb. 27: 5 day recess (no committee hearings)
          • March 1: First decking; Any bill not submitted in its final form by the decking deadline no longer can be considered for passage during the session.

SB69: WAM [its final Senate committee] has scheduled a public hearing on 02-20-13, it is still in movement, since it can make the first decking deadline.

SB932: still has not been referred for committees JDL/WAM, looks like it is basically dead. (Although it could carry over to the 2014 session.)
          Now run along and play, but don’t get into trouble.

Comment

What worries me are the "EXECUTIVE ORDERS," where the alleged 'I'll protect your second amendment rights' president Obama can make laws than are not 'of, by and for the people.' He's already started.\
            This sounds too much to me like tyranny, where 'the leader's word is law.'

If it was a national emergency, in wartime, that's one thing, but capricious things like selling our rights to the United Nations is too much. Even the failed and proven ineffective 'Assault weapons ban' would be enough to plunge us into a national catastrophe. Although things like magazine capacity limits are arguably sensible, the last go-round of the assault weapons ban was laughable.

Never say I didn't warn you.

It's been a while since we impeached a president - let's see how this all falls out, first.

He lied to us, and he's using a tragedy any and all of his laws could not have prevented, as a lever to tip us over the edge into a tyrannic form of government. He probably believes he is doing the right thing, but you can collapse a government in less than four years.
            Last edited by Kaonohi; February 19, 2013, 05:07 PM. Reason: I'm scared of this tyrant!
            ~ ~

Comment

As to Obama making up his own laws...this is what Congress is forcing by not doing anything. Just because they don't want to do their work doesn't mean that the work doesn't need to get done. By sitting on their asses (can I say that here?) they force the power to do those things into the President's hands. Its what you call cutting your own throat. For example if this sequestration thing goes through Obama might want to consider issuing scrip like California did a few years ago when it was out of money. Its not legal tender but it can be accepted with the hope the gvt will pay it off in real money when it can, it worked out fine in California, maybe it could for the federal gvt too. But again, the utter idiots in Congress are forcing power into the president's hands. There's a lot to be said for just doing your damn job.

Comment

Originally posted by matapule View Post
                A California State Legislator has been threatened with assassination because of his efforts to curb gun violence. This shows the extent to which some gun nuts will go to enforce their paranoid and sociopathic agenda. Neither the legislator nor I will be intimidated by these bullies.
                Now, THOSE are "Gun Nuts." Kudos to you and those who refuse to be intimidated!

One person, or even a small group, cannot, and should not dictate National policy. Our is a government "... by the people, of the people, and for the people" should not perish from this Earth. Obama seems to be on the way wih his "executive orders," which trump our elected representatives.

Meant to be used in times of crisis, where the time factor does not allow congress to argue the merits, Obama has usurped his power base and is on a line for impeachment.

When in our 235 history have we ever allowed that?

Head between your legs; kiss your ass goodbye. The storm troopers come next: going from house to house, demanding your weapons. There's gonna be a lot of "cold, dead hands."

It didn't have to come to this. Obama is a villain.
                ~ ~

Comment

You make some good points Kalalau.

Bu who is to say these actions are necessary?
                  ~ ~

Comment

Originally posted by Kaonohi View Post
                    You make some good points Kalalau.

But who is to say these actions are necessary?
                    I predict that within days, using presidential birthdays as a crutch, we will be deeper in sheep-dip, gun-wise, than we ever have before. We will be effectively disarmed as a nation, and as individuals, and no one will ever again refer to America as a Great Nation.

Bye bye, America.
                    ~ ~

Comment

The master architects of all this evil are busy at a lathe.

Metal feels no pain.

The builders of this madness imagine that metal will replace flesh.

Alfred Krupp was the founding father of a dynasty that enslaved most of the
                      Jewish portion of the Ruhr.
                      Last edited by lensperson; February 19, 2013, 11:23 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Kaonohi View Post
                        What worries me are the "EXECUTIVE ORDERS," ...

The Emancipation Proclamation is an order issued to all segments of the Executive branch (including the Army and Navy) of the United States by President Abraham Lincoln on January 1, 1863, during the American Civil War. It was based on the president's constitutional authority as commander in chief of the armed forces; it was not a law passed by Congress.
                        Emancipation Proclamation
                        Greg

Comment

Originally posted by Kalalau View Post
                          As to Obama making up his own laws...
                          You know what is interesting Lopeti, is that the Teapublican/Libertarian minority contingent of the US population didn't say "boo" when the Shrub passed all of his nefarious "executive orders." Now that the shoe is on the other foot, they scream "impeachment." Like that is even a remote possibility! A majority of the US population wants some form of gun control and we see the dominos start to fall in State after State, Colorado being the latest. Soon Hawai'i will join that contingent and that will be a happy day for a vast majority of Kama'aina.

Strict gun control now!

People who form FIRM opinions with so little knowledge only pretend to be open-minded. They select their facts like food from a buffet. David R. Dow

Comment

A BIG Amen to that! Nor did they make a peep when Bush obliterated the Clinton surplus and threw the economy into a nose dive and bankrupted the gvt. Their "concern" is so totally phony. Concern for the future generations who will have to pay off the debt: pure BS. Even the senior drug benefit was written just so pharmaceutical companies could charge medicare whatever they wanted. On and on.

How do dictators get into business. One way is when elected representatives refuse to do their job. I can see it all now. Another terrorist attack against the US and congress as usual refuses to do anything. Obama or whoever might be president then just sends congress home. They aren't doing anything, let them just go home, "I will take care of all that myself", and if the courts object, send them home too. This sequestration thing...what a ridiculous provocation, congress is begging to be sent home. If you were an employer and your employees refused to do their job would you keep them on? For how long? If these guys really don't like Obama they are utter idiots for forcing FORCING dictatorial powers into his hands. Because the work congress is refusing to do still needs to get done. Don't pay the military? Are you serious??????

Comment

One thing you have to admit about having all the guns out there is that it sure does make the news more exciting. Right now 2 deputies have been shot in a neighborhood about 20 miles north of here, there's a stand off with an armed suspect, the whole neighborhood is locked down. Its exciting! Right on the edge of your seat, just watching the local news, wondering how it will all turn out. Then hearing coverage of the shooting deaths of four in Orange County live so to speak on radio. News must be so much more boring in countries without so many guns, I wonder what they do for excitement. Never a dull minute in gun happy America!

Comment

Originally posted by Kalalau View Post
                                News must be so much more boring in countries without so many guns, I wonder what they do for excitement.
                                GOOD QUESTION! In Mexico, where private gun ownership is banned, we get together with long time friends and have a margarita or two, like matapule and uaifi did tonight. We don't have shootings here like the gun nuts favor in America. The biggest story on the news tonight is that a local guy, Jose, won the lotteria! Matapule is soooooooo bored here.......not.

Strict gun control now!

Comment

Working...
                                X