X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Gun Control

Hi everyone

I see this thread is still rather…lively

The heart of the gun debate is personal safety. Some feel vulnerable if they don't have guns. Some feel vulnerable if others have guns. When we feel our safety is threatened, emotions kicks in.

The purpose of emotions is to short circuit rationality, because rational thinking is slow and methodical. If a snarling lion jumps out of the bushes, thinking like this will lower your chance of survival:

"Lions are not native to Hawaii. I'm rather far from the zoo. Why is there a lion in front of me? Is it really a lion? What's the statistical data pertaining to the likelihood of it being a lion? Maybe it's a big cat. Would people laugh at me if I ran from a cat?"

Rather, Fear kicks in, tells your rational mind to STFU!, and tells your body to DO ANYTHING!…NOW!

Unfortunately, all sorts of things can set off our Fear. Even dangers which aren't immediate or merely perceived. There's very little chance rational discourse will settle the gun debate.

Rather, forces which stoke Fear will sort this all out.
    Last edited by MyopicJoe; April 10, 2013, 06:28 PM.
    "By concealing your desires, you may trick people into being cruel about the wrong thing." --Steven Aylett, Fain the Sorcerer
    "You gotta get me to the tall corn." --David Mamet, Spartan
    "
    Amateurs talk technology, professionals talk conditions." --(unknown)

Comment

Originally posted by Kaonohi View Post
      I did the smart thing, and he acquired a $75.00 American-made lockback knife.
      I got to ride the London eye without being arrested....
      Glad you did the smart thing. Sorry you lost a nice knife (was it a Case?).

I heard a rumor they were trying to ban pointed knives in Britain, even kitchen knives. Don't know how accurate that one was, but I found it amusing.

When I was in the market for cheap Swiss Army knives and pocket multi-tools, the TSA was my friend. Now that restrictions have been relaxed, there will be less deals on eBay
      "By concealing your desires, you may trick people into being cruel about the wrong thing." --Steven Aylett, Fain the Sorcerer
      "

Comment

When faced with overwhelming odds it is best to fight back

with a humble frying pan.

A number 3 Griswold is a two egg pan.

All number 4 pans are rare .

Some of the early Rat Patrol episodes show how

having a family can subdue the need to go to war.

Comment

Originally posted by MyopicJoe View Post
          The heart of the gun debate is personal safety. Some feel vulnerable if they don't have guns. Some feel vulnerable if others have guns. When we feel our safety is threatened, emotions kicks in.

(...)

Unfortunately, all sorts of things can set off our Fear. Even dangers which aren't immediate or merely perceived. There's very little chance rational discourse will settle the gun debate.

Rather, forces which stoke Fear will sort this all out.
          Very perceptive! We are inventing rationalizations to argue an emotional issue.
          You must be the smartest person in this thread!

BTW, the knife was a Kershaw, designed by Hawaii resident Ken Onion.
          Be Yourself. Everyone Else Is Taken!
          ~ ~
          Kaʻonohiʻulaʻokahōkūmiomioʻehiku
          Spreading the virus of ALOHA.
          Oh Chu. If only you could have seen what I've seen, with your eyes.

Comment

Originally posted by lensperson View Post
            having a family can subdue the need to go to war.
            That reminds me of a documentary about testosterone. They found merely holding a baby doll lowered men's testosterone. I guess it's to keep men from killing their children from frustration or jealousy.

Families can also be the cause of war. The need for breeding room and feeding mouths.

Originally posted by Kaonohi View Post
            BTW, the knife was a Kershaw, designed by Hawaii resident Ken Onion.
            Ken Onion designs some nice knives. I thought you might have had a Kershaw, but I couldn't think of any lockbacks they have. Liner locks seem the most popular.

Spyderco has an entire line of slipjoints meant to be UK friendly.

Perhaps they'll legislate knives with sharpened edges to be illegal
            "

Comment

• States with lenient gun laws tend to have higher rates of gun violence

Okay, the gun nuts asked for proof, so here is proof!

Based on the Center for American Progress report, 24/7 Wall St. reviewed the 10 states with the most gun violence..........The states on this list with higher gun violence tend to have much less stringent gun laws than other states with less violence like New Jersey, Connecticut and Hawaii. For instance, none of the states on (sic) with the highest gun violence require permits for handgun purchases. In the 10 states with the lowest gun violence, seven have this requirement, including all six states with the lowest levels of gun violence. The Law Center to Prevent Gun Violence gave seven of the 10 states an F for their gun control policies, with the remaining three receiving a D or D–.

STRICT gun control NOW!
              Peace, Love, and Local Grindz

People who form FIRM opinions with so little knowledge only pretend to be open-minded. They select their facts like food from a buffet. David R. Dow

Comment

• Re: States with lenient gun laws tend to have higher rates of gun violence

Originally posted by matapule View Post
                And, of those states that allow the public to carry arms?
                https://www.facebook.com/Bobby-Ingan...5875444640256/

Comment

STRICT climate control NOW!
                  flickr

An email from God:
                  To: People of Earth
                  Date: 9/04/2007
                  Subject: stop

knock it off, all of you

seriously, what the hell

--
                  God

Comment

Its more realistic to compare cities where guns are not available with cities where guns are available, we did that a few weeks ago showing that in Canada where the border keeps out guns from good ole gun crazy USA, you are over five times LESS likely to be shot & killed than here. It is very easy to carry guns across a state border, local laws don't have any real impact. But national borders are a lot less permeable. So if the argument is that gun laws don't work to protect people from being shot & killed it is clear that the absence of guns does, conclusion is that the government does have to seize guns. Since that isn't going to happen, don't worry about it. Just accept a few massacres every couple of months, thats just life in the USA- apple pies, baseball in the summer, and mass shootings. Just accept it, and accept all the hand wringing and guilt that always follows every massacre, its part of our national culture.

Comment

Yeah, that's what Tattrat did. Compared cities with guns with cities without. Houston trumped bad ol Chicago.

Now that the PEOPLE have spoken through their duly elected representatives, we see that National Gun Registration and stepped=up checking is NOT what Americans want.

I think people would be more amenable to background checks on a state ;level that don't end up with National Gun Registration.

There's a good way and a bad way to do background checks.
                      Be Yourself. Everyone Else Is Taken!
                      ~ ~
                      Kaʻonohiʻulaʻokahōkūmiomioʻehiku
                      Spreading the virus of ALOHA.
                      Oh Chu. If only you could have seen what I've seen, with your eyes.

Comment

Congratulations to the NRA for killing even this pathetic watered down inoffensive little bill for background checks! Even with 90 % public support the NRA still prevailed. Just one more example of our system of government failing. So when's the next slaughter.
                        Last edited by Kalalau; April 18, 2013, 01:34 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Kalalau View Post
                          Congratulations to the NRA for killing even this pathetic watered down inoffensive little bill for background checks! Even with 90 % public support the NRA still prevailed. Just one more example of our system of government failing. So when's the next slaughter.
                          Do not lose heart Lopeti. The 42 Senators who voted in favor of the filibuster and are up for re-election will be vulnerabe at the polls in 2014. They have voted contrary to the wishes of the vast majority of Americans. This is not representative government. It is time to rid the government of these people who vote for special interest groups to the detriment of Amercans.

Matapule is in this fight for the long haul. STRICT gun control NOW!

People who form FIRM opinions with so little knowledge only pretend to be open-minded. They select their facts like food from a buffet. David R. Dow

Comment

While the Second Amendment does indeed say that "the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed,” it says so in the context of maintaining state militias. Historically, the amendment was interpreted as the right of militias, not individuals, to bear arms.

STRICT gun control NOW!

Comment

To me it fits right in as a symptom of a failed system. Its like having a brain that sticks your finger in electric sockets or has you drink battery acid. It just won't end well. It can't. Even now, with the gvt closing air traffic control towers for financial reasons...even now, we continue to give tax funded subsidies to oil companies. So letting the NRA keep guns available to the insane, to gangs, to terrorists, etc, fits right in.

So as long as its going to happen anyway, lets have a little fun! Lets have a pool! I don't know what we can award, maybe just that inner glow of satisfaction from winning, but lets try to predict when the next mass slaughter happens! Now it could be from bombs or knives but lets limit it to assault weapons because thats what Our Congress stepped up to the plate to so heroically defend yesterday. And lets define a slaughter, a massacre, whatever, as 15 or more dead. Doesn't that seem reasonable? So to speak. I predict the next slaughter by June 15. Whats your guess?

Comment

Lopeti, I am not going to play that game.

The Teapublican party continues to show how out of touch it is with an evolving America.

Comment

Working...
                                X