Gun Control

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Gun Control

Speaking of gun control (or rather control of a gun) this 13-year-old has better muzzle discipline than many adults (not to mention 16 sponsors):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yd4B77PkeaU

Events like this will probably disappear in my lifetime. Yes, the gun industry has money, but there's a larger economic power: economic collapse (whether it's sudden or slow). The more poor people become, the more angry they get, the more scared the government grows. Governments fear their citizens first and foremost.

A gun ban itself doesn't worry me as much as what it heralds.
    "By concealing your desires, you may trick people into being cruel about the wrong thing." --Steven Aylett, Fain the Sorcerer
    "You gotta get me to the tall corn." --David Mamet, Spartan
    "
    Amateurs talk technology, professionals talk conditions." --(unknown)

Comment

Regarding the poor becoming poorer and more people being driven into poverty: its exactly why the miraculous economic machine that built the middle class, begun as the New Deal and refined for decades, should not be abandoned as a means for making a relative few obscenely rich.

Comment

Originally posted by MyopicJoe View Post
        Speaking of gun control (or rather control of a gun) this 13-year-old has better muzzle discipline than many adults (not to mention 16 sponsors):
        This kid will someday make a very efficient policeman or detective!
        This is the other side of "Strict Gun Control Now;" if the first time you handle a gun is in police training, you'll end up as inefficient in protecting the public as some Hawai`i cops I've heard about.

A gun ban itself doesn't worry me as much as what it heralds.
        You mean the American ideal of freedom going down the drain? Don't look now, it's already too late and getting worse.
        Be Yourself. Everyone Else Is Taken!
        ~ ~
        Kaʻonohiʻulaʻokahōkūmiomioʻehiku
        Spreading the virus of ALOHA.
        Oh Chu. If only you could have seen what I've seen, with your eyes.

Comment

Attitude means a lot.

I think that a less fatalistic approach would be more pragmatic.

Every day spreads a new canvas of hope for the future.

We the people , I feel. are a good people.

Given time to think, I would hope that these matters are sorted out sooner, rather than later.

Surely it must be possible to have a civil society with less violence.

Comment

I am casually following the Zimmerman trial, the guy who shot a 17 y.o. unarmed black teenager in Florida because Zimmerman felt threatened. The night he shot the kid, he was on his way to Target to purchase groceries with an automatic pistol strapped to his side and the safety off. When asked why he needed a gun to go to Target, his response was, "because I can." He also wore his automatic pistol when he took his Rottweiler for a walk.

GUN NUT!

I am happy I reside in places where carrying a gun to Target is not permitted!

STRICT gun control NOW!
            Peace, Love, and Local Grindz

People who form FIRM opinions with so little knowledge only pretend to be open-minded. They select their facts like food from a buffet. David R. Dow

Comment

Originally posted by matapule View Post
              I am casually following the Zimmerman trial, the guy who shot a 17 y.o. unarmed black teenager in Florida because Zimmerman felt threatened. The night he shot the kid, he was on his way to Target to purchase groceries with an automatic pistol strapped to his side and the safety off. When asked why he needed a gun to go to Target, his response was, "because I can." He also wore his automatic pistol when he took his Rottweiler for a walk.

GUN NUT!

I am happy I reside in places where carrying a gun to Target is not permitted!

STRICT gun control NOW!
              I, too am glad you live in such a place,because you are a serious threat due to your ignorance.

You seem to be unaware of the difference between auto-loading and automatic. An automatic pistol fires all the rounds in the magazine with one pull of the trigger. I don't know any manufacturer that makes such an item. Most pistols are either single shot, revolving chamber or autoloading. There are some rare variations as well, but no "automatic" pistols. Sometimes auto-loading pistols are called "semi-automatics" but calling a pistol an automatic is just an ignorant scare tactic.

This person evidently carried a gun because he was afraid. Unless we know things like the crime rate where he was walking, etc., what caused him to shoot the person, etc., we have no right to judge him. Carrying a single small firearm in an area where one feels physically threatened hardly makes one a gun nut. Keep following that case and keep us posted. If we hear no more it's a sign that you were wrong and won't admit it.

It's better to have a gun and not need it than it is to need a gun and not have it.

The laws we need, however, are mandatory gun training before purchase is permitted, like we have in Hawai`i.
              ~ ~

Comment

Originally posted by matapule View Post
                strapped to his side and the safety off
                To clarify, this Time article says Zimmerman was carrying a Kel-Tec PF-9, which does not have a "manual safety" to begin with. There's no "manual safety" to be left "off".

Glock handguns, popular with police, also don't have a "manual safety". Revolvers often don't have a "manual safety" either. Prevention of negligent discharges (I don't believe in accidental discharges) is dependent on training and using a quality holster (stiff enough to prevent the trigger from being moved).

Older handgun designs had the chance of being discharged when dropped on the ground. The solution back then was a "manual safety" which prevented the gun from being discharged when dropped (or even when the trigger was pulled).

Modern handgun design has eliminated the need of a "manual safety" in the specific situation of a discharge due to dropping. Of course, you will still see "manual safeties" implemented in some handgun models due to politics, policy, or personal preference.

If a gun does have a "manual safety" and the owner chooses to carry it in the off position, the amount of safety lost depends (as with most things) on the situation.

DISCLAIMER: I am not a certified firearms instructor. Everything I write is just my opinion and subject to error. Exercise your own critical thinking when reading this post and practice due diligence.

If a person chooses to carry without a holster or a soft one, then it's highly recommended to have the safety on. If a quality holster is used, it's less of an issue. Another variable is whether they leave a round in the chamber or leave the chamber empty. Is the hammer cocked or decocked? Etc.

Whatever the situation, gun owners shouldn't think of "manual safeties" as a guarantee of safety. Safeties are mechanical devices which can fail. Safeties can be accidentally switched off. "Manual safeties" should be considered just one layer in a system of safety, which ultimately begins with responsible ownership and quality training.
                "By concealing your desires, you may trick people into being cruel about the wrong thing." --Steven Aylett, Fain the Sorcerer
                "

Comment

Originally posted by Kaonohi View Post
                  I, too am glad you live in such a place,because you are a serious threat due to your ignorance.
                  People who are not careful about the terminological distinction between automatic and semi-automatic are serious threats? Isn't this silly? Zimmerman kills a black teenager with the feeblest of excuses, but it's Matapule who is the real threat because of his terrible terminological error? Come off it.
                  Carrying a single small firearm in an area where one feels physically threatened hardly makes one a gun nut.
                  That is not a reasonable characterization of the situation. Zimmerman was pursuing Martin, despite explicit instructions not to from his neighborhood watch director. There would have been no confrontation with Martin if Zimmerman had not provoked it.

I wish there were a way to put on trial the Florida legislators who passed laws putting guns in the hands of vigilantes who operate outside the system of training and oversight we have developed for the real police.
                  Greg

Comment

I haven't been following the Zimmerman case closely, but I was reading the transcript of Zimmerman's 911 call:

Zimmerman:
                    No, you go in straight through the entrance and then you make a left, you go straight in don't turn and make a left...s---, he's running.

Dispatcher:
                    He's running? Which way is he running?

Zimmerman:
                    Down toward the other entrance of the neighborhood.

Dispatcher:
                    Which entrance is that that he's heading towards?

Zimmerman:
                    The back entrance.

Dispatcher:
                    Are you following him?

Zimmerman:
                    Yeah.

Dispatcher:
                    OK, we don't need you to do that.
                    I think this will seal Zimmerman's fate (if not in legal court then in liability court). Even if Zimmerman's claim that he shot Martin because Martin was pounding his head against the pavement is true, in the end Zimmerman forced the situation by following Martin.

People who choose to carry a firearm must realize they have upped the danger level of any conflict they find themselves in. The priority must be to avoid conflict, regardless of inconvenience, embarrassment, pride, frustration, etc.

In a sense, when you choose to carry a firearm your life becomes less free, due to the responsibility of carrying a lethal force instrument.
                    "

Comment

Turn the circumstances around and imagine an armed Black teenager blowing away the community watch gauleiter. The armed Black teenager hunts down the community watch captain and shoots him and puts forth a claim of self defense, how well would that fly? Does the idea of Black teenagers packing guns whenever they go out seem a bit unsettling? Why? Maybe they will have to in the future just to get the jump on guys like Zimmerman. If our legal system won't protect their right to exist I guess they will have to permanently arm themselves. Some people think that will be a safer, better world.

Comment

I haven't been following the Zimmerman case closely, but I was reading the transcript of Zimmerman's 911 call:
                        Zimmerman: This guy looks like he's up to no good or he's on drugs or something.

The deceased was neither. He belonged in the neighborhood and he was not on drugs. He was just returning from 7/11 with a can of ice tea and a bag of Skittles.

Zimmerman: These a$$holes they always get away.

I guess they don't if you shoot them to death.

People who choose to carry a firearm must realize they have upped the danger level of any conflict they find themselves in. The priority must be to avoid conflict, regardless of inconvenience, embarrassment, pride, frustration, etc.
                        Zimmerman is obviously a guy who should never be allowed to carry a gun even though he had past arrests for domestic violence and assaulting a police officer. He makes very bad judgements.

In a sense, when you choose to carry a firearm your life becomes less free, due to the responsibility of carrying a lethal force instrument.
                        Your life may become less free but at least you have a life left to lead unlike the victims of gun violence.

People who form FIRM opinions with so little knowledge only pretend to be open-minded. They select their facts like food from a buffet. David R. Dow

Comment

Everyplace I look there are different reports of the Zimmerman homocide. The Star-Advertiser claims Z was being attacked by the victim, who was allegedly pounding his head on the ground. Any physical evidence?

At this point, I'm going to refrain from the stupid thing, which is making conclusions based on incomplete and/or possibly inaccurate information and/or using inaccurate terminology. When the investigation is complete, and we know, to the best of our ability, what really happened, I may comment on the situation. Until then, it's just radical, opinionated politics spread by ignorants.

Talk about using the misfortune of others to promote your politics. Unforgivable.
                          ~ ~

Comment

From "Occupy Democrats":

Reprehensibly ignored by the mainstream media, this story coming out of Houston, Texas last Friday exemplifies the shortsightedness of conservative gun rights advocates who stand against any and all forms of gun safety regulations, particularly the banning of dangerous assault rifles.

Sgt. Lance McLean of the Hood County Sheriff’s Office has succumbed to his injuries and been pronounced dead after being shot in the head by a gun dealing, child molesting, tactical gear-wearing, heavily modified assault rifle-wielding man after responding to a seemingly ordinary disturbance call.

After injuring the two officers, the suspect drove away in a white van, and was eventually killed near the Cranbury City Hall after wounding another police officer in a gunbattle.

Police have learned that the gunman, Ricky McCommas, was an avid gun enthusiast who sold guns from inside of his home. After obtaining a search warrant, authorities seized more than two dozen guns and about 20 cases of ammunition, along with a computer and other evidence.

Adding insult to injury, court records have revealed that McCommas had recently been charged with sexual assault of a child in July 2012, after being accused of raping his wife’s niece behind a grocery store. Gun in hand, he had traveled to the location of the victim in order to convince her to drop the charges, leading to the original 911 disturbance call.

Court records also show that McCommas missed a court appearance Friday morning, and the warrant for his arrest was issued and his bond was raised from $100,000 to $200,000.

Comment

Zimmerman has been found not guilty of shooting and killing an unarmed teenager on the excuse of self defense. This is both sad and bad news. All a gun nut has to do is shoot an unarmed person and claim self defense because the only person that can counter that excuse is dead.

The gun nuts have gained a significant victory tonight. Sometimes things have to get worse before they can get better.

Comment

It's too bad the jury didn't find Zimmerman guilty of manslaughter. It seems they were considering it, when they asked the judge for clarification. I didn't follow the trial, but I heard the prosecution didn't do a good job. Perhaps it was a lack of eye witnesses / video evidence of what happened before Martin had Zimmerman on the ground?

Being found not guilty is bad for gun owners in the long run. Hopefully the family pursues litigation and can force him into bankruptcy. Hopefully that gets some decent media attention, though I doubt it.
                                "

Comment

Working...
                                X