Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Gun Control

Originally posted by GregLee View Post
    Speech is protected from prior restraint.
    Not all restrictions on free speech are a breach of the prior restraint doctrine.
    Originally posted by Kalalau View Post
    Holy God it looks like 20 children or more have been shot in Connecticut. How incredibly sad, words fail.
    We need to end violence as public policy in this nation, NOW.

FACT: An angry and/or crazy jerk with a semi-automatic weapon does NOT constitute a "well-regulated militia."

FACT: The Founding Fathers weren't talking about weapons that can kill more people in 2 minutes than died at Lexington and Concord.
    Last edited by Leo Lakio; December 14, 2012, 08:00 AM.

Comment

http://www.opensecrets.org/orgs/reci...&id=D000000082

This is a list of every politician who is receiving money from the NRA to make sure guns are easy to own.

Comment

Originally posted by Ron Whitfield View Post
        I'd be a multiple gun owner if I'd had my way this year.
        Gun nut!!!!!!!!!!!!
        Peace, Love, and Local Grindz

People who form FIRM opinions with so little knowledge only pretend to be open-minded. They select their facts like food from a buffet. David R. Dow

Comment

Originally posted by Amati View Post
          Perhaps you should reflect on the wisdom of, "Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it".
          Yes, reflect upon all those societies that worshiped weapons and violence. Where are they today? The last vestiges are firmly ensconced in the USA.

People who form FIRM opinions with so little knowledge only pretend to be open-minded. They select their facts like food from a buffet. David R. Dow

Comment

The Second Amendment is still firmly in place with supporters.
            Time for a Constitutional Amendment that will put restrictions on gun ownership.

Comment

Originally posted by Ron Whitfield View Post
              I'd be a multiple gun owner if I'd had my way this year, fortunately our upstairs idiot neighbor had to move out.
              Not sure I understand what you mean by this, Ron - can you elucidate?

Comment

In the ongoing battle between the Second Amendment and the lives of children, the Second Amendment wins another round.
                Originally posted by matapule View Post
                Time for a Constitutional Amendment that will put restrictions on gun ownership.
                America needs a 28th Amendment to do to the 2nd Amendment what the 21st Amendment did to the 18th Amendment.
                Last edited by Leo Lakio; December 14, 2012, 08:42 AM.

Comment

Wednesday it was an assault in a mall in Portland, OR and today it is an assault in an elementary school in CT. Gun nuts everywhere you look! How many people have to die so gun nuts can cling to their phallic symbols? I am so angry, it takes great restraint to not tell how I really feel about this. What do you nuts want to do now? arm kindergarden children?

The result of these despicable incidents will be a serious effort to remove the gun as a national symbol of paranoia in the USA. Truth and justice will triumph over blackhearted, self-absorbed gun worship.

Bless all who just died so that gun nuts can placate their feelings of impotence. (Four letter word) the NRA and their adherents.

Comment

In the midst of what has to be one of most heinous crimes this world has ever witnessed, debate on the 2nd amendment is sure to rage in the days and weeks to come in Congress. Whether gun control is strengthened or not, I hope that the discussion does not end there. Horrific events that have happened in Osaka and Nanping have shown us that the absence of firearms is not a guarantee against massacres in schools. So whatever legislation comes the pike, lawmakers will hopefully not neglect the issue of dealing with the mental health disorders that ultimately drove these culprits to their unspeakable acts against humanity.
                    This post may contain an opinion that may conflict with your opinion. Do not take it personal. Polite discussion of difference of opinion is welcome.

Comment

Just got back from the store. The scene of parents & children registered, the hand holding, holding them to the breast, the love. I wonder if I was just noticing whats always been there because of the horror in Connecticut, or if parents really were holding their beloved children closer because of the tragedy. I am not that emotional but it did make me kind of choke up.

A bit like President Obama choked up during his statement on the tragedy. He wiped tears from his eyes. Then the reporter covering the President's statement choked up. This is very sad. But will it all be forgotten again, like Columbine or the Aurora theater or all the rest of it. Is it just the sheer numbers that get our attention. And what, really, can be done? Do we really, really want gvt. agents going home to home taking away guns? It could be as simple as taking away ammunition. Whatever, it will take will, sustained will, and so far only the NRA has that kind of long term determination.

Comment

We're way beyond merely having a gun problem, it's a people problem, and we're way behind the 8ball in even addressing it.

I do have a faint streak of gun nuttery in my psyche, most of us do if only because of the old cowboy love or design/firepower interest, but I'd prefer a world without them simply because they were made primarily to kill.

Originally posted by Leo Lakio View Post
                        Not sure I understand what you mean by this, Ron - can you elucidate?
                        Nut neighbor crossed the line long ago, and with my duties of caring for the main target of his hate and responsibility to protect the household against the undefineable I had to be pro-active and be armed for bear should he or others get really stupid. Not a welcomed prospect, but better safe than sorry, and what makes it worse is you have to kill an intruder or you'll wish you had after the trouble he'll cause. Glad that episode resolved itself before spending time/$/effort for one dope.
                        Funny, I recently saw this clown in town and he was desperate to get my attention, to talk story, I'll guess... I purposely stood around longer while ignoring his fool ass.
                        https://www.facebook.com/Bobby-Ingan...5875444640256/

Comment

Originally posted by Leo Lakio View Post
                          FACT: An angry and/or crazy jerk with a semi-automatic weapon does NOT constitute a "well-regulated militia."

FACT: The Founding Fathers weren't talking about weapons that can kill more people in 2 minutes than died at Lexington and Concord.

Originally posted by Frankie's Market View Post
                          So whatever legislation comes the pike, lawmakers will hopefully not neglect the issue of dealing with the mental health disorders that ultimately drove these culprits to their unspeakable acts against humanity.
                          Yes, the issues are intertwined. The intent of a well-regulated militia does not include arming those with a mentally health disorder that might have a break from reality. And does not include putting assault rifles and mega-clip guns in the hands of Joe Citizen.
                          Now run along and play, but don’t get into trouble.

Comment

Originally posted by Kaonohi View Post
                            I have read that Switzerland has the lowest rate of firearm violence, and that citizens there are required to own firearms, for national defense.
                            Myth regarding gun ownership in Switzerland & Israel

An American citizen's right to a gun does not trump my right and my children's rights to live, and to live without the constant threat of being slaughtered.

And for those bringing up the "mental health" issue - DO NOT let that derail the discussion about gun control; that's exactly what the NRA wants to see happen (they, of course, are not commenting at all about today's tragedy).

The best comment I am regularly hearing today: "Today is NOT the day to talk about gun control, today is the day to finally DO SOMETHING about it!"

The vast majority of mass killers in the United States use legally acquired weapons. A significant body of evidence suggests the wide availability of guns is strongly linked with higher murder rates.
                            Last edited by Leo Lakio; December 14, 2012, 12:40 PM.

Comment

The intent of a well-regulated militia does not include putting assault rifles and mega-clip guns in the hands of Joe Citizen.
                              Then how does Joe have a chance against those with the high firepower and the numbers of fingers on triggers? Gotta move with the times that our original rightsmakers didn't envision if we're going to keep it squared up. Let's make tanks and WMDs readily available too in our race to the bottom.
                              https://www.facebook.com/Bobby-Ingan...5875444640256/

Comment

You know the details of today's murders in Connecticut. Here are all the others in the U.S. going back to Columbine; read every single bloody detail, then tell us why the inconvenience suffered by gun owners and prospective gun owners under much tighter restrictions on the purchase of guns and ammunition outweighs the death of children in their classrooms, or balance out the loss of Rep. Giffords’ potential with impatience at a waiting period, or frustration at not being able to fire a certain number of bullets per minute.

December 11, 2012. 22-year-old Jacob Tyler Roberts killed 2 people and himself with a stolen rifle in Clackamas Town Center, Oregon. His motive is unknown.

September 27, 2012. Five were shot to death by 36-year-old Andrew Engeldinger at Accent Signage Systems in Minneapolis, MN. Three others were wounded. Engeldinger went on a rampage after losing his job, ultimately killing himself.

August 5, 2012. Six Sikh temple members were killed when 40-year-old US Army veteran Wade Michael Page opened fire in a gurdara in Oak Creek, Wisconsin. Four others were injured, and Page killed himself.

July 20, 2012. During the midnight premiere of The Dark Knight Rises in Aurora, CO, 24-year-old James Holmes killed 12 people and wounded 58. Holmes was arrested outside the theater.

May 29, 2012. Ian Stawicki opened fire on Cafe Racer Espresso in Seattle, WA, killing 5 and himself after a citywide manhunt.

April 6, 2012. Jake England, 19, and Alvin Watts, 32, shot 5 black men in Tulsa, Oklahoma, in racially motivated shooting spree. Three died.

April 2, 2012. A former student, 43-year-old One L. Goh killed 7 people at Oikos University, a Korean Christian college in Oakland, CA. The shooting was the sixth-deadliest school massacre in the US and the deadliest attack on a school since the 2007 Virginia Tech massacre.

October 14, 2011. Eight people died in a shooting at Salon Meritage hair salon in Seal Beach, CA. The gunman, 41-year-old Scott Evans Dekraai, killed six women and two men dead, while just one woman survived. It was Orange County’s deadliest mass killing.

September 6, 2011. Eduardo Sencion, 32, entered an IHOP restaurant in Carson City, NV and shot 12 people. Five died, including three National Guard members.

January 8, 2011. Former Rep. Gabby Giffords (D-AZ) was shot in the head when 22-year-old Jared Loughner opened fire on an event she was holding at a Safeway market in Tucson, AZ. Six people died, including Arizona District Court Chief Judge John Roll, one of Giffords’ staffers, and a 9-year-old girl. 19 total were shot. Loughner has been sentenced to seven life terms plus 140 years, without parole.

August 3, 2010. Omar S. Thornton, 34, gunned down Hartford Beer Distributor in Manchester, CT after getting caught stealing beer. Nine were killed, including Thornton, and two were injured.

November 5, 2009. Forty-three people were shot by Army psychiatrist Nidal Malik Hasan at the Fort Hood army base in Texas. Hasan reportedly yelled “Allahu Akbar!” before opening fire, killing 13 and wounding 29 others.

April 3, 2009. Jiverly Wong, 41, opened fire at an immigration center in Binghamton, New York before committing suicide. He killed 13 people and wounded 4.

March 29, 2009. Eight people died in a shooting at the Pinelake Health and Rehab nursing home in Carthage, NC. The gunman, 45-year-old Robert Stewart, was targeting his estranged wife who worked at the home and survived. Stewart was sentenced to life in prison.

February 14, 2008. Steven Kazmierczak, 27, opened fire in a lecture hall at Northern Illinois University, killing 6 and wounding 21. The gunman shot and killed himself before police arrived. It was the fifth-deadliest university shooting in US history.

February 7, 2008. Six people died and two were injured in a shooting spree at the City Hall in Kirkwood, Missouri. The gunman, Charles Lee Thornton, opened fire during a public meeting after being denied construction contracts he believed he deserved. Thornton was killed by police.

December 5, 2007. A 19-year-old boy, Robert Hawkins, shot up a department store in the Westroads Mall in Omaha, NE. Hawkins killed 9 people and wounded 4 before killing himself. The semi-automatic rifle he used was stolen from his stepfather’s house.

April 16, 2007. Virginia Tech became the site of the deadliest school shooting in US history when a student, Seung-Hui Choi, gunned down 56 people. Thirty-two people died in the massacre.

February 12, 2007. In Salt Lake City’s Trolley Square Mall, 5 people were shot to death and 4 others were wounded by 18-year-old gunman Sulejman Talović. One of the victims was a 16-year-old boy.

October 2, 2006. An Amish schoolhouse in Lancaster, PA was gunned down by 32-year-old Charles Carl Roberts, Roberts separated the boys from the girls, binding and shooting the girls. 5 young girls died, while 6 were injured. Roberts committed suicide afterward.

March 25, 2006. Seven died and 2 were injured by 28-year-old Kyle Aaron Huff in a shooting spree through Capitol Hill in Seattle, WA. The massacre was the worst killing in Seattle since 1983.

March 21, 2005. Teenager Jeffrey Weise killed his grandfather and his grandfather’s girlfriend before opening fire on Red Lake Senior High School, killing 9 people on campus and injuring 5. Weise killed himself.

March 12, 2005. A Living Church of God meeting was gunned down by 44-year-old church member Terry Michael Ratzmann at a Sheraton hotel in Brookfield, WI. Ratzmann was thought to have had religious motivations, and killed himself after executing the pastor, the pastor’s 16-year-old son, and 7 others. Four were wounded.

July 8, 2003. Doug Williams, a Lockheed Martin employee, shot up his plant in Meridian, MI in a racially-motivated rampage. He shot 14 people, most of them African American, and killed 7.

September 15, 1999. Larry Gene Ashbrook opened fire on a Christian rock concert and teen prayer rally at Wedgewood Baptist Church in Fort Worth, TX. He killed 7 people and wounded 7 others, almost all teenagers. Ashbrook committed suicide.

July 29, 1999. Mark Orrin Barton, 44, murdered his wife and two children with a hammer before shooting up two Atlanta day trading firms. Barton, a day trader, was believed to be motivated by huge monetary losses. He killed 12 including his family and injured 13 before killing himself.

April 20, 1999. In the deadliest high school shooting in US history, teenagers Eric Harris and Dylan Kiebold shot up Columbine High School in Littleton, CO. They killed 13 people and wounded 21 others. They killed themselves after the massacre.

Comment

Working...
                                X