Loss of Aloha Spirit at the Moana Surfrider

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Loss of Aloha Spirit at the Moana Surfrider

I did not know where to put this. If this is the wrong place I am sorry.
    In September I came to Hawaii to celebrate my 70th birthday, and go to the Aloha Festival, stay at the Moana Surfrider, and just enjoy. I had to use a walker, so I carefully made all the arrangements ahead of time. The walker, an upgrade of my room since I would be spending a lot of time at the Hotel. Made arrangements to get a Chantilly Cake.
    I was born in Queens Hospital in 1942 and my parents came to the Moana on Saturday night, so this is the second time I stayed there. It was awful. The management was rude, I was refused an upgrade, after making arrangements. They stuck me in a room that the windows would not open and the TV and air did not work. It smelled. It was awful. I could barely get in or out of the room as it was a fire well and the door was so heavy. No one would do anything for me. The first time I came there it was wonderful, but this time Aloha Spirit was lacking. Over priced with no feeling of Ohana. Luckily I found it elsewhere. But for 375.00 a night there was none at the Moana. Mahalo Leilani

Re: Loss of Aloha Spirit at the Moana Surfrider

Originally posted by Malolo View Post
    In September I came to Hawaii to celebrate my 70th birthday, and go to the Aloha Festival, stay at the Moana Surfrider, and just enjoy. I had to use a walker, so I carefully made all the arrangements ahead of time. The walker, an upgrade of my room since I would be spending a lot of time at the Hotel.....It was awful. The management was rude, I was refused an upgrade, after making arrangements.
    What exactly do you mean by "making arrangements" for a room upgrade? Was your upgrade guaranteed, or was it a request? If it was the latter, then that's not a 100% assurance that you will get an upgrade. Especially if your booking coincided with a busy time for the hotel. (You yourself said that this was during the Aloha Festival.) It's not uncommon for a hotel to offer senior citizens a room category upgrade based upon availability (i.e. during slow periods). But if you make your reservations when the occupancy level for the hotel is high, then you shouldn't be surprised if they are not able to accomodate a non-guaranteed upgrade. The Moana has to take care of all the guests who actually paid for their upper category rooms before they start handing out free upgrades to guests who only paid for lower categories.

If OTOH, your upgrade was guaranteed and it says so on your travel documents, then you're entitled to some form of compensation.

Originally posted by Malolo View Post
    They stuck me in a room that the windows would not open and the TV and air did not work. It smelled. It was awful.
    Did you voice your complaints to the front office? If they can't fix those problems, then they should have moved you to another room where those things worked.
    This post may contain an opinion that may conflict with your opinion. Do not take it personal. Polite discussion of difference of opinion is welcome.

Comment

It's regretful to hear that your experience was lacking aloha.

I'll be sure to tell my friends to avoid it.
      Be Yourself. Everyone Else Is Taken!
      ~ ~
      Kaʻonohiʻulaʻokahōkūmiomioʻehiku
      Spreading the virus of ALOHA.
      Oh Chu. If only you could have seen what I've seen, with your eyes.

Comment

Sorry about the bad experience, but I'm glad you found something better. I think they ought to realize that those of us born in '42 are in a special category. Happy birthday, anyway.
        Greg

Comment

You won't find much true Aloha at the hotels, or Waikiki in general, these day's unless it's from the entertainers. Lot's of fake Aloha, and then there are episodes as mentioned here when there is none at all, typical of Waikiki mgt. A shame that we can put the Moana Surfrider on the growing ignore list.
          https://www.facebook.com/Bobby-Ingan...5875444640256/

Comment

Thanks everyone for your input.....I did not expect to get a free upgrade. I had a email from the hotel stating that I would receive one. I would have been happy with a room that I could open the window and that the TV worked. Anyway it is time to let it go...I probably will never come back and that makes me sad.. Mahalo to all of you.

Comment

Working...
            X