Page 10 of 20 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast

Thread: Homeless solutions

Default Re: Homeless solutions

She's an honorably discharged US veteran in Hawaii without any 'issues' except having common health problems and being without a home thanx to officials everywhere ignoring her, including Mayor Caldwell and his total bullshit version of Housing First denying her application as ''unqualified''.
    https://www.facebook.com/Tina.Quizon.Hawaii?fref=ts

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Whitfield View Post
    Didn't see any mention of Obama in the article or where blame could directly be laid. 'splain?
    This is the logic of contemporary conservatism. Homelessness is bad; Obama is bad; so homelessness is Obama's fault.
    Greg

ah yes, the old guilt by non-association trick

being mean and nasty, and illegal, just got a bit tougher for this Mayor
    http://www.pressreader.com/usa/honol...13208/TextView

So, earlier in the year the State declared a state of emergency on the homeless issue, and this week they formally announced they had a roof-like-a-sieve shed in Kaka'ako nearing final consideration of operation for 2 years worth of shelter and transitioning 60 people / families into permanent housing that currently doesn't exist. https://www.staradvertiser.com/break...kaako-in-2016/
    What they have planned for the other 15,000 Oahu homeless was not known.

http://khon2.com/2016/01/11/hawaii-l...help-homeless/

Did she get this idea from watching Gilligan's Island?

I hear this was going to happen at the Wiaanae houseless village. Maybe she got that idea from them.
    "Reason is not automatic. Those who deny it cannot be conquered by it. Do not count on them. Leave them alone."
    Ayn Rand

maybe this one woman can do what nobody in Hawaii Gmt. can manage
    http://news.yahoo.com/meet-woman-thi...173900904.html

While she does use the “housing first” plan she has one critical difference. She tailors to it to the individuals. The assumption that one size fits all is flawed.
    I have not seen any evidence that there has been any survey to find the various reasons behind homelessness here in Hawaii and how many people are in each of the categories. Without that information Ige is just spinning his wheels.
    "Reason is not automatic. Those who deny it cannot be conquered by it. Do not count on them. Leave them alone."
    Ayn Rand

everything is always based on the bogus yearly head counts of under 5,000 homeless on Oahu so it hardly matters what the % is when there's 3 times that

Caldwell fails miserably and stuffs it up Hawaii's nose
    http://www.staradvertiser.com/hawaii...nolulu-crisis/

this shows some of the diversity of shipping container conversion
    https://www.facebook.com/DavidAvocad...3325334001512/

Thumbs up Re: Homeless solutions

Quote Originally Posted by GregLee View Post
    This is the logic of contemporary conservatism. Homelessness is bad; Obama is bad; so homelessness is Obama's fault.
    So simple it's genius!

It seems we'll never see anything substantial from our elected officials regarding the slightest improvement of our National homeless disaster, this despite a state of emergency extension granted by the Gov. in lieu of any progress. They really seem deliberate in their continuance and indifference towards mass human suffering and neglect, as long as it doesn't mess with Waikiki and $$$ communities. Everything they've managed to come up with has been a joke, with nothing better on the horizon, especially with funding getting extensively slashed from proposed budgets for even existing minimalistic programs.

Have you read about or seen what Utah is doing on this subject? I think it is amazing...

http://www.latimes.com/nation/la-na-...524-story.html

I trust you've read plenty of my posts regarding our jackass mayor's version of HF which pointedly differs from the successes in the mainland and has barely made a dent in Oahu's homeless population of over 15,000 in two years and x $millions spent plus now a third do nothing homeless czar and new departments to deal with it all. It's another disaster propped up to dupe voters for his reelection.

today's front page SA headline states 'Homeless problem improves, poll finds', with the poll having been conducted earlier this month, but this is merely because the Mayor swept them off the streets in Waikiki and downtown out of plain sight into other areas with less vocal influence. From a street perspective it hasn't gotten better at all, in fact the SA article later reports increases of those entering homelessness. Especially concerning are the Mayor and Governor's attitude that merely getting some people into the deplorable shelters and even fewer into transitional housing is somehow a victory while incredibly a gullible 47% of those polled say the Mayor is somehow doing a good job regarding the problem. 15,000 men, women, and children have resided on the streets over the years and remain existing in unacceptable circumstances with no end visible, this is nothing for anybody to be crowing about.

Quote Originally Posted by Moto View Post
    Also, if you need aid to support your dependents, having another child should not increase your aid, but remain the same. We can't stop paying freely for people's bad decisions.
    Many women may not have choosen to get pregnant. I suspect also that there are many women who were raped, and if you are homeless and female, you're an automatic target for any predator. Is the child to be punished under those cirucmstances?

Ron, haven't been on HT for many years, but tonight I got drawn in by this thread and devoted a portion of my evening to reading all your updates on the homeless situation. You've shared facts of which I wasn't aware.

I've tried to attend various fundraisers that are supposed to "help the homeless," contributed to the HI Food Bank, volunteered for a friend's "Give it Fresh" project to provide fresh fruit/veggies and not all canned goods to feed the hungry. However, I sometimes grow discouraged at the continued complexity of the homeless issue here in Hawaii and the continued attempts to sweep the problem under the rug instead of finding actual workable solutions. My cynicism on the government's relationship with million-dollar luxury housing groups makes me wonder if anything will ever be able to stop this rich people's playground juggernaut that has hit Hawaii. At this rate, we may end up going back to the times where all the rich people hire servants and provide them with servant's quarters since there will no longer be much in the way of housing left for anybody else.

Thanks for opening my eyes with your perspective and for continuing to crusade for the homeless.

You're quite welcome, thanx for caring, and know that the issues could be expounded upon greatly, just from my own insights of the last year+. the Gov. just put up $ and initiatives with somewhat better planning, but simply putting the masses into a 'home' asap is beyond their and the general public's scope, I believe.

http://www.staradvertiser.com/2016/1...less-families/

could this Governor be more abysmal in his pathetic attempts at pretending to care for the 15,000 homeless on Oahu alone? this dismal report is a total condemnation of the years and $millions wasted, certainly not anything to be celebrating. plus, the media is guilty as usual in promoting the fallacy of any ''permanent housing'' actually existing for the few being placed in dwellings, it's all (AFAIK) temporary.

Page 10 of 20 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast