• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Homeless solutions

the children https://nypost.com/2020/02/13/child-...form=hootsuite
    https://www.facebook.com/Bobby-Ingan...5875444640256/

Comment

Nevada Vets in container homes https://www.hawaiinewsnow.com/2020/0...wbkNi83FZvzjFQ

Comment

I challenged @abunaitoo to come up with a solution to the homeless issue. He did not respond. He would rather bitch, moan, cry, complain. and issue Ad Hominem attacks than be proactive and come up with solutions. This is the same kind of behavior exhibited by @karen. This kind of person is a greater threat to our society than the homeless, because you just can't fix willful ignorance. People who just want to complain without offering any solutions (other than "vote Republican") are the ones that are truly deplorable.

So here is my solution for homelessness....tough love. Essentially everyone living on the street has significant problems, whether it be substance abuse. psychological issues, anti-social behavior, or related emotional challenges. These people need help. I differentiate between the truly homeless and "for profit" panhandlers. Research shows that many panhandlers are adept professionals, live in regular homes, drive maintained cars, dress in filthy clothes while at "work", and use the shopping cart full of junk and "will work for food" sign as clever props.

My solution for professional panhandlers is to address the real problem, those who give them money. Dry up the source of their income and they will go away or find another source of income. Therefore I propose that anyone observed by law enforcement giving money to panhandlers be given a significant citation by law enforcement, maybe $1000. This will require additional law enforcement for stakeouts, but that would be funded by income from the citations.

For the truly homeless with mental health issues of one type or another, I propose that the Federal government tax State governments (whether that State has a homeless issue or not) an equal amount to fund LOCKED mental health facilities where the homeless can receive professional counseling, guidance, and training for re-entry into society when appropriate. Some will never be able to pass the stringent requirements for re-entry and will become permanent wards of the government forever. This will be a very expensive program. It will be funded by a 2% tax on the wealthiest of the wealthy in the US, not on income, but their wealth. This tax will not impact the typical wage earner like on HT. Therefore, the money grubbing likes of @abunaitoo will have their deplorable complaints fixed without having to pay a dime from their deplorable money grubbing income.

I admit that I propose tough measures that would involve court challenges. But it would be a solution and I welcome any dialog of goodwill to challenge or refine my proposal. Flamethrowers are not welcome. I welcome criticism, but if you criticize, offer an alternative solution other than the deplorable "vote Republican."

Thank you for playing nice.
        Last edited by matapule; March 4, 2020, 05:28 AM.
        Peace, Love, and Local Grindz

People who form FIRM opinions with so little knowledge only pretend to be open-minded. They select their facts like food from a buffet. David R. Dow

Comment

There's no one prescription that cures all illnesses, and no single, one size fits all solution that will get everyone housed. There are lots of different causes of homelessness, so we need lots of different ways to get people off the street. No single solution will eliminate homelessness; we need lots of solutions. This is not a contest, it's our neighbors, our workmates, our family, our friends... so time to cool our jets.

Mental illness is a relatively common symptom because an inability to cope with life can lead to a loss of income, so then a loss of housing. And homeless people who had zero mental illness when losing their home may later develop mental illness due to the challenges of surviving on the street.

If Medicare For All happens, there may be a huge positive impact on public health, mental health included.

It's tragic that we house, feed, protect, educate, entertain, and look after the health of prison inmates, but don't do that for our neighbors when they fall behind on the rent.

Part of the problem may be that nearly all of us have trouble making ends meet every once in a while, but peer pressure and pride prevent us from speaking up when we need help. If we were more willing to reach out I suspect we would find that family, friends, co-workers, and neighbors would respond with aloha.

Prior to colonization there was no such thing as property ownership, and I wonder what that might look like today. How different life might be in many ways if we started looking out for each other as much as we do for ourselves.

Comment

Originally posted by robbos View Post
            there's no one prescription that cures all illnesses, and no single, one size fits all solution that will get everyone housed. There are lots of different causes of homelessness, so we need lots of different ways to get people off the street. No single solution will eliminate homelessness; we need lots of solutions. This is not a contest, it's our neighbors, our workmates, our family, our friends... So time to cool our jets.

Mental illness is a relatively common symptom because an inability to cope with life can lead to a loss of income, so then a loss of housing. And homeless people who had zero mental illness when losing their home may later develop mental illness due to the challenges of surviving on the street.

If medicare for all happens, there may be a huge positive impact on public health, mental health included.

It's tragic that we house, feed, protect, educate, entertain, and look after the health of prison inmates, but don't do that for our neighbors when they fall behind on the rent.

Part of the problem may be that nearly all of us have trouble making ends meet every once in a while, but peer pressure and pride prevent us from speaking up when we need help. If we were more willing to reach out i suspect we would find that family, friends, co-workers, and neighbors would respond with aloha.

Prior to colonization there was no such thing as property ownership, and i wonder what that might look like today. How different life might be in many ways if we started looking out for each other as much as we do for ourselves.
            +1 "like"

People who form FIRM opinions with so little knowledge only pretend to be open-minded. They select their facts like food from a buffet. David R. Dow

Comment

I had a post typed and posted by request from Meta. The next screen asked me to login, which I did again. I looked for my post and can't find it anywhere. I typed a second and posted. Again, the next screen asked me to login again. Doing so again, I can't find my posting, either one.

An idiot keeps doing the same thing over and over expecting a different result. It is not happening a third time. It is 0138 hrs. I'm tired and my patience is gone.

Comment

Originally posted by matapule View Post
                My solution for professional panhandlers is to address the real problem, those who give them money. Dry up the source of their income and they will go away or find another source of income. Therefore I propose that anyone observed by law enforcement giving money to panhandlers be given a significant citation by law enforcement, maybe $1000. This will require additional law enforcement for stakeouts, but that would be funded by income from the citations.
                For the truly homeless with mental health issues of one type or another, I propose that the Federal government tax State governments (whether that State has a homeless issue or not) an equal amount to fund LOCKED mental health facilities where the homeless can receive professional counseling, guidance, and training for re-entry into society when appropriate. Some will never be able to pass the stringent requirements for re-entry and will become permanent wards of the government forever. This will be a very expensive program. It will be funded by a 2% tax on the wealthiest of the wealthy in the US, not on income, but their wealth. This tax will not impact the typical wage earner like on HT.
                the panhandlers aren't going away for the moment and not worth any focus cos that'll all be cared for when new smart communities of mini homes to house everybody are instituted, all the functional mentals and incorrigibles can be given a shot at 'normal', those who can't / refuse to cut it will sort themselves out fairly quickly from a more stable society and other agencies can handle them, preferably in positive ways. the bottom line on the vast majority of the homeless is they're hopeless as far as integrating back into a legit workforce capacity, that dream is actually folly cos at best they aren't work-reliable, and I'm talking about the most viable workers. I super'd a recycling operation in Iwilei near IHS where I recruited the cream of the crop workers, daily, cos they'd never be back the next day regardless of promises. it was good work & pay but none were considerable for serious jobs. while there are always exceptions* it's better / cheaper to just house them for free and give them help and opportunities to better themselves, forcing doesn't work in the long run, we need sustainable answers. the obvious problem is the ignorant public rages at the thot of FREE STUFF, even sensible people may freak at considering giving anything away to the needy, it's easy to be resentful, but they don't take into account the myriad benefits they and society soon gain which greatly supersede the $BILLIONS in investment costs. it's cheaper to take full care of those in need or on the edge than to do what we've done forever to our premature demise.
                *https://www.cnbc.com/2018/05/25/teen...y5JjQTaznf5uMk
                Last edited by Ron Whitfield; March 7, 2020, 09:10 AM.

Comment

Corona virus https://www.civilbeat.org/2020/03/ke...m-coronavirus/

Comment

this Mayor can't do anything right https://www.civilbeat.org/2020/03/bo...-for-homeless/

Comment

a damning report https://www.civilbeat.org/2020/03/ho...blem-persists/

Comment

The city does need taxpayer funded State help for mental health and behavior modification services. Don't want to pay to clean up the mess? Then stop complaining about the problem and live with it.

Comment

The city does need taxpayer funded State help for mental health and behavior modification services. Don't want to pay to clean up the mess? Then stop complaining about the problem and live with it.
                          you know that's mostly wasted money while the priority issues persist into infinity. I love spending effective $$ to solve and prevent.

Comment

Originally posted by Ron Whitfield View Post
                            you know that's mostly wasted money while the priority issues persist into infinity. I love spending effective $$ to solve and prevent.
                            Says somebody with no experience.

Comment

Says somebody with no experience.
                              I'd say I've provided tons of viable options despite your claim of 0 experience
                              why are you so grumpy?

Comment

Originally posted by Ron Whitfield View Post
                                I'd say I've provided tons of viable options despite your claim of 0 experience
                                why are you so grumpy?
                                I've told you from my considerable experience in government and politics (elected and appointed) your options are half-baked and haven't worked in the past and are an expensive failure. What experience do you have?

Why am I so grumpy? Ozium spray! Spreading nonsense on the Internet. you would be grumpy too if you were my age and the so-called president said that you should be willing to die from the virus in order to save the economy.

Comment

Working...
                                X