Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Homeless solutions

Ron,
    Without you, we would be ignorant of all these abuses and shortcomings.
    People keep coming to the islands to live, and the net effect is replacing those who are unable to 'pay their way.'
    Most homeless don't choose to be homeless, but there are a few who choose Leeward beaches and forests as 'their home.' They are a minority. Most homeless are forced into homelessness by the economy, government restrictions, unemployment, etc.
    Our State has been doing a good job at criminalizing the homeless and otherwise ignoring their needs.
    I thought this was the Aloha State? We will have to turn in our license plates and retire the State motto if we don't fix this.

I have no worthwhile suggestions; the State, the C&C and the Feds are all deeply in debt (as I am told) and are managing our meager resources to please the 'status quo,' rather than looking into this serious and growing problem.

Ron, keep up your good work.
    Be Yourself. Everyone Else Is Taken!
    ~ ~
    Kaʻonohiʻulaʻokahōkūmiomioʻehiku
    Spreading the virus of ALOHA.
    Oh Chu. If only you could have seen what I've seen, with your eyes.

Comment

Nice to at least hear some concern, kaonohi, it's more than I often hear from those in the homeless business.
      There's so much legit ignorance in the community about the realities that I'm not surprised the picture is skewed for many since the SA and media keep giving errant comments that always make the bums look even worse when they are just the tip of the iceberg relating to the huge number of homeless and even more near it. People have been pushed to the brink, everybody is punchy today and near panic being so stressed with crazy costs of the most basic stuff to survive normally that starring at losing their homes, possessions, and maybe even their families that something is going to give, and that time is rushing now with these latest insanities. The scale has now tipped in favor of the harshest actions against those struggling by our elected and appointed to where drastic measures need to begin now to correct the wrongs.
      And I don't buy the old "we're broke" BS when they can blow multi millions constantly for you name it and rampant waste. They simply refuse to address the issues in real terms and sustainability, just wave the Housing First flag and off to the next party at our expense. Maybe they are so out of touch that it's excusable but I fear there is something far worse going on, it's like they actually want people dead from starvation and exposure. The stinking republicans here were better, and that's a very sad fact.
      Choosing to be homeless: Long ago when I was working and living a quasi-normal life I got fed up with the rat race and never able to keep a rental for long no matter how good things were, so I went au natural and camped out in my hood of Kaaawa for two years and it was great. I can do homeless in Hawaii like a champ, I thrive, but few are able to get past their issues and situations. So yes, there are some who do choose to be homeless but there are wide ranges of reasoning behind it for each person, but most do not prefer it and would jump at a decent home if they wouldn't be pressured about lifestyles, rent, and whatevers. Not gonna happen but there are answers towards helping sufficiently, but the powers have no desire except to harass, displace, criminalize, and distort the picture while smiling at the camera.
      I've started making the rounds about all this, talking to members at River Of Life, Care-A-Van, and other help agency officials to see where their heads are at. The good folks at ROL are not happy about the latest crap at IHS, noting IHS gets many millions yearly from the State and now they are dumping people by the thousands, meanwhile River is going to be inundated with hungry people while they are barely able to handle in any meager fashion what they got now. At CAV the best upper-level person I spoke to had no idea what crap is happening at IHS, which says a lot right there, and simply stated that I needed to get a grass roots campaign going if I wanted to get anything done. Nobody in an organizational setting that I've yet found has been powwowing to put any type of plan together and organize an affront to anything. Today I'll start emailing everybody in the big square building and elsewhere to get them a better picture of what's happening, seems they're all in the dark and will never do something worthwhile being ignorant. We'll see who replies, and how.
      It just get's worse and worse with our politicos on these matters without any reason behind it as tho mean and stupid are all they got and it's so hard to do something worthwhile.

Last nite I heard city ambulances were becoming infested with bedbugs, costing thousands of $ each month and the street bums they constantly deal with are getting the blame. I guess nobody suggested getting a few old heaters from Goodwill and baking the bugs a couple of hours each month for cheap. Just wait til the fire ants get in.
      Last edited by Ron Whitfield; April 17, 2014, 03:03 PM.
      https://www.facebook.com/Bobby-Ingan...5875444640256/

Comment

Heh, heh.
        And the tiny black ants, and the snakes.... Oh yes, we have them here.

But really, YOU are needed! Someone who not only cares, but has the TIME to care.

Homelessness is NOT an individual issue, but a humanitarian issue. Your posts seem mostly ignored because most people (even here) don't know what to do, and they are embarrassed.

I'm embarrassed, cause I don't know how I can help! I twice let homeless camp on my land, and I was abused, let down, and disappointed. Perhaps I did not select well. Yet I realize the homeless need homes; whether a tent city or individual squats, or collectives (as I saw successful in Waianae), they need a place to stay where they can access necessary resources.
        ~ ~

Comment

Time. That is one of the main problems in dealing with political issues period, virtually nobody has time or mental space to spend on simply keeping up with true info or separating misinfo, and our rogue poli's abuse that fact to sneak tons of total BS onto legislation and into law, or past the laws, or ignore immediate issues. Physically it looks like I'm doomed to having plenty of time to focus on issues, and I got plenty of community minded irons in the fire yet it's no fun, instead it's so frustrating to fight the endless tidal surge of public ambivalence and ignorance, even by the street people themselves to a huge degree. There is no grass roots condition to start with in getting something generated at the street level because so many of those that need the help will not get off their asses even for a minute to save their own lives. I'll bet I can't get 10 Chinatown sidewalk swillers to merely promise to meet at the Capital for a protest, it's almost pointless to try with anyone downtown.
          Endlessly informing and pressuring our politico's and media sources on the abuses by some and real avenues of positive change is probably the only way to get anywhere worthwhile. The media usually loves a good scandal and if this can gain traction it might make headway.
          Even in good times I congregate occasionally with a few street friends and stay up on the garbage they can relate so I know what's happening and what may work and what probably won't. I can understand the "embarrassment" of those that don't have the insight to know what the realities are, but the public needs to know fast and start getting mad at the right people, those who created the homeless problems and those have maintained the mentality and are now making things even worse, and doing it at the worst time instead of improving when they have all the power to do so much better.
          Couple all that with this IHS scandal and readers better believe that quickly exacerbating social ills are going to hit the fan soon if drastic and exact measures aren't implemented quick. Like they say, k, we're judged by how we treat those below us, both individually and collectively. We all have our failings but this is one collective clusterfuck that will bite us big time.

Comment

Originally posted by Ron Whitfield View Post
            Time. That is one of the main problems in dealing with political issues period, (...)
            Endlessly informing and pressuring our politico's and media sources on the abuses by some and real avenues of positive change is probably the only way to get anywhere worthwhile. (...)
            but the public needs to know fast and start getting mad at the right people, those who created the homeless problems and those have maintained the mentality and are now making things even worse, and doing it at the worst time instead of improving when they have all the power to do so much better. (...)
            Like they say, k, we're judged by how we treat those below us, both individually and collectively. We all have our failings but this is one collective clusterfuck that will bite us big time.
            Remember to study the actions of our politicians (NOT THEIR PROMISES), and vote accordingly.
            ~ ~

Comment

Originally posted by Kaonohi View Post
              Remember to study the actions of our politicians (NOT THEIR PROMISES), and vote accordingly.
              My wife pointed out to me this morning that after supporting a project that is costing gouts of taxpayer money (but will probably not relieve traffic congestion), removing half the trash containers from parks, removing support for the Humane Society, and proposing to charge for garbage collection, our mayor has just approved a raise for himself. Why do I mention this in a thread about problems of the homeless of the city and county of Honolulu? Because in Ron's postings, it's always Abercrombie who is the bad guy. Seems peculiar.
              Greg

Comment

Greg, if it was my own dear old departed Mother doing these things I'd be saying at least the same if not more as I'd have much more and easier contact to the source to known wtf is actually going on, and if it was as bad as it seems and directly linked to her there would be major problems until it was resolved. I don't give a shit who it is, this has to be dealt with big time, now. OK?
                Homelessness should have been a focus decades back, but there was basically only the issues of homeless in Ala Moana park being bantered prior to stupid Neil getting elected, then Mufi kicked them out and that started the big bad homeless ball rolling on the South shore. Neil comes in and anoints his Czar, who then does nothing worthwhile, at least obvious to the general public eye yet corrals the Health Dept. to help starve the hungry along with the rogue IHS who are long in need of serious investigation, now more than ever. Sorry, but it's gotten infinitely worse under shithead self serving crony sucking Neil in nasty inhumane ways that is soon to have repercussions well beyond what we've all been dealt so far, and he needs to go fast. Let's see what the next guy can do.
                BTW, You do know that I supported Neil forever and voted him in as Gov., right?
                Got any helpful suggestions?
                Wanna help storm offices, maybe go to jail, or even die in pursuit of justice and accountability?

Comment

Yes, the one thing all lawmakers(breakers) approve. Their own raises.

Vote against all incumbents!
                  ~ ~

Comment

Lot's of typical crapola in today's SA but the cover story isn't on the site currently.
                    Plenty of blaming the homeless and assuming it's always them doing bad things when many are doing all the same things and often for the same reasons. Many people steal in Waikiki, panhandle, block access', or pee/poop in public when bathrooms aren't open or available to them, nothing new but the isolated blame is.
                    Members of Waikiki's visitor industry are saying enough is enough, others whine about it hurting business or crippling the $15 billion tourism industry and even our economy, some of them say they want to be part of the solution. What a joke, they have no clue what to do on a workable and fiscally feasible level. But they do have nasty ideas, like legislation that would prevent homeless from trespassing at hotels and taking over the sidewalks. Like what, make them instead of wearing a star with JEW on it put a sticky tag that says HELLO, my name is homeless? Also stated is that these tourism officials have comped rooms and meals for solution experts coming to Honolulu to conduct training, which IMO will largely be useless. Maybe they should use that time, effort, money, to give some needy persons the same. They also want at least one of the restrooms in all of Waikiki to be open 24 hrs. Wow, what a concept! Maybe the City will even clean it, but that's doubtful. And they want the parks and beaches open to all. Huh, I didn't know these places were closed off exclusively for bums to use. Oh, they're not, maybe these crybabies just want Waikiki exclusive for those who have plenty of money? It's pretty much that way now, so it's not a stretch to think this.
                    The article notes that with the homeless count (as of '13) in Honolulu at under 5000 (way low) there are 785 chronic homeless (stupidly low), yet the highly vaunted Housing First, the City/State's big and only thing towards a solution will max out at 200 of the worst.
                    One main villain, Connie Mitchell of IHS says the homeless have to get past individual challenges and into shelters and permanent housing (there is no permanent housing, that's a misnomer, only temporary), as tho all homeless are challenged by mental problems or chronic drug useage.
                    Never a mention of a shitty economy, no good jobs, impossibly high rents and basic food costs, etc. No, it's always because they all have personal issues, meanwhile her agency is seriously hurting the public by refusing everybody in need of food and shelter at her grossly insufficient dumps in Iwilei which the State wants to ram everything/body thru no matter what part of the island they live and shut down all others that try to help. She also wants those who are able-bodied to work, well la di da... "We invite people to come in and will try to get them stabilized to the degree that they are able to contribute to the community". But only those willing to pay her $90 a month to live like crap with rampant theft of belongings the norm, abusive/filthy/extreme co-habitants, lousy conditions, kicked out for any little infraction or whim of staff without your money back, etc.
                    Mayor Caldwell's spokesman says The City has has regular meeting with stakeholders in Waikiki (what a surprise...) and visitor industry and service providers, but again no mention of receiving any input from those who may actually know what's going on at the street level to help guide talks towards realities, like the basic fact that the mainland has weather that makes homes critical to survival, but in Hawaii you don't and can live outdoors easily which removes a lot of incentives for many to consider what little they offer.

All this bluster and muster, while nothing of note will get done regardless of many millions spent when the one thing they need to do, provide free individual compact homes just bigger than a doghouse that can't be abused and placed in a communal setting somewhere, they won't do. It will be a new city thanx to the endless ignorance and neglect of our political shysters. And that's giving them the benefit of the doubt that the reasons aren't much worse.
                    Last edited by Ron Whitfield; April 21, 2014, 02:30 PM.

Comment

I have not been following this thread from the beginning so if I am duplicating what has already been said my apologies.
                      Here are some of my random thoughts about the homeless situation.
                      Back in the late 60s maybe early 70s many cities had vagrancy laws. What I remember about vagrancy laws from that time was that if you had less than a certain amount of money in your pocket and no visible means of support you could be cited. Punishment could be just being driven out of the city limits and dropped off by the nearest hobo camp. The courts deemed those laws were too vague, cities now do not have such a laws.
                      Another court action that seems to have had a major effect on the homeless situation is they deemed a mentally ill person cannot be forced into a mental institution unless they are in danger to themselves or someone else. One has to wonder how much that had to do with personal rights as opposed to reducing the government’s financial burden.
                      I am skeptical of Mayor Caldwell’s housing first program. It looks like a very slippery slope to me. First Mayor Caldwell says this works elsewhere but where is elsewhere and has anybody checked to be sure it’s actually working? It’s not above some of the people that run these programs to falsify their data to keep the project going.
                      If you give a person a home then they will find reasons to have food delivered and free bus passes etc.
                      When the people who are just barely getting by struggling at low-paying jobs see that the homeless are better off than they are they will quit their jobs and paying their rent and wait for the government to give them a home.
                      I also wonder how effective it would be because they would probably only have a few homes and probably not be able to house all of the homeless we have on the island. There will probably still be a lot of people in tents in our parks.
                      Last summer my wife and I were in the Boston area, we drove around to Lexington down to Rhode Island and all over that area. We did not see any homeless camps and I don’t really remember seeing any homeless in the two weeks that we were there. I think it would be a good idea if Honolulu sent a delegation to the Boston area to see what they are doing.
                      I don’t believe there is one solution to the problem. More likely there will be nearly as many solutions as there are homeless people.
                      Ron you seem to be pretty much up on the situation. It you were named the cities’ czar for the homeless what would you do to make things better?
                      "Reason is not automatic. Those who deny it cannot be conquered by it. Do not count on them. Leave them alone."
                      Ayn Rand

Comment

Thanx for your interest and input 68, please don't take what I say in response highly against what you've said, nothing personal.
                        We haven't even graduated to the level of hobo camps or tent cities in Hawaii since the abandoned but sensible housing efforts in Haleiwa 20 years ago. Tent cities are a disaster waiting to happen, you can't regulate and protect people from abusers in that situation, and it's a pathetic manner in which to view/treat human beings. The old 'we are judged by how we treat those below us' is paramount here and officials have punished our whole society enuf with neglect, further punishment is unacceptable. They in fact are largely to blame for our increasingly sick situations and now that it's hitting the fan internationally they pretend to care and look for solutions like Bush looked under exclusive dinner tables for WMDs. They have created a culture that once cared and tried but has learned to do with almost nothing and do it without a house due to nice climates year round, they don't need no stinking high rent and restrictions, so there go the incentives for many to change. Housing First is total shibai, it's a political smokescreen to say 'we're doing something, don't look at us'. It'll help the very tip top of a huge iceberg at best, but for how long? Newsflash, mentals can't maintain! So that's extremely limited focus. Everything else will remain the same (meaning getting worse every day) despite the many millions thrown away solely for PR. I think our poli's know it's going to get much worse and why some are trying to get draconian laws passed to force the bums out of sight but not to help a bit. Millions are currently being spent and planned for various studies and ventures but most are just spinning their wheels with all that money, here's one that actually may have hope using shipping containers for mini homes http://www.hiappleseed.org/housing but I haven't checked it out enuf to know exactly where the flaws are.
                        Another problem with officials is they always comment on the very worst cases and then make an Olympian vault over the near 10,000 general public homeless straight to families because they have no real answers concerning the masses of single persons.
                        Boston? This may help with answers, but remember, Boston freezes for months each year http://www.bphc.org/whatwedo/homeles...ommission.aspx

Concerning: If you give a person a home then they will find reasons to have food delivered and free bus passes etc. When the people who are just barely getting by struggling at low-paying jobs see that the homeless are better off than they are they will quit their jobs and paying their rent and wait for the government to give them a home.
                        At this stage of the game I'm all for giving and giving and giving until we've regained the upper hand completely. If we don't, then forget about any solution, we are so deep in the hole that merely regaining the last 5 years will require extreme benevolence by all, no matter how much many will hate it. The hidden haters are certainly at least as equally to blame for the mess. Who needs millions of people not even getting by on insanely pathetic $7 an hr. when we're the richest nation on earth with grotesque corporate hoarders and throw away trillions every year, or 6 tril alone on a BS war in the mid East? That's a weak community and society ripe for the picking by bad elements as we've increasingly witnessed across the mainland for decades and have doomed them, we need to greatly recover in Hawaii and build a better environment or again, just forget about it and enjoy what we have wrought. Homeless..., yes, give them a friggin home. Besides, that erosion of desperate renters will make rents come down to where the middle class can recover too.

What would I do? Start by going to prison for kicking the shit out of all our culpable politicians, vile special self-interests and money baggers who've created all this just to get my happy disposition back..., then get plenty of land and build a new city with all the shipping containers available and invest in 'smart' security and restrictions to disable rogue elements and maintain civility and control. Make them small so no crybaby would complain much because they'd be so dinky few would even put their dog inside, just enuf room to inhabit ala prison, with prison-like destruction proof fixtures for a bathroom/kitchen area and bed space. A person could have their privacy and dignity, be able to leave and keep belongings secure, water, electricity, and wireless so they can improve/advance their lives if they choose or just be safe and out of sight from those that can't stand to see them. Cost a lot? Sure, but less in the long run if done properly than what we're doing now.
                        However, even this in it's ultimate version will not cure the worst aspects of the homeless, many of whom will remain where and how they are no matter what is done for them or just say no to any restrictions. You can't help everybody, nor make them disappear. Waikiki will always have 'undesirables' simply because they are people too and have equal civil rights to be with everyone else in public spaces. The ugly genie will not be rebottled, we blew it long ago. It's high time to stop sucking.

Comment

Forgot to mention, Sunday at 6pm I swung by IHS (The Ditch) to see how many hungry people would be in line for dinner at exactly the time of the day and month that would have the most in need, as I know of no other group that does Sunday dinner of any degree. Normally there would be a line extending to the street now that most have exhausted their State benefits after 2 weeks, but now with the heartlessly pointless demands IHS has newly imposed there was virtually no line. I guess Ditch management scum can now pilfer even more donated food meant for the needy since very few out of the usual 1000 mouths each day will be getting fed. I've talked to many acquaintances lately and they are sucking shit because they can't get in for a simple single meal without pitching their belongings first.

Today's SA editor's Our View continues misinforming the public with favorable comments on Housing First and systemic shuffling of bodies off to shelters, as tho there will be welcoming arms for any of them when they get there unless they are willing and able to pony up $90 immediately and able to conform to whatever requirements imposed.
                          And they suggest there is an "expanding list of accommodations" that I'd like to be fully informed of, because if one who has his radar up for these things has no clue what their talking about then few other will either.

Comment

It keeps getting worse.
                            A source tells of actual video showing IHS staff from the men's shelter selling hard drugs on the property, specifically the nasty attitude female behemoth that man's the intake window and loves to say no while eating humongous plate loads of donated food that further denies the hungry and shelterless they habitually neglect. C_ _ _ _ _ is her first name, and a big C she is.
                            All my usual street sources no longer go there now even for a single meal because of the unacceptable requirements and restrictions.
                            Look for an uptick in street crimes directly related to IHS's outrageous conduct.

Comment

Interesting news, a woman commented today on her pursuing a Class Action lawsuit against IHS personnel with some disturbing allegations and a supposed recording of a Director, the well known con Jerry Coffee, caught threatening her. So this could add to the hopes of shining a big light on illicit shenanigans there, but she's going against the State as well, they won't let things get too far if they can help it.

Comment

Just off the phone with an editor at the SA who responded to my direct email and will try to get further interest there to pursue many of the things I've detailed here into print. She was surprised to hear of the $90 IHS imposes on the needy to pass their soiled doors, illustrating how uninformed even media personnel can be even tho they cover the issues constantly. Hopefully this will start turning pages towards correcting so many wrongs and shoot for some real goods, but those with the power need to stop the endless NO's.

Comment

Working...
                                X