Page 9 of 19 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast

Thread: Homeless solutions

Default Re: Homeless solutions

Anybody hear even a peep about the Sand Island /Housing First internment sham since the Waikiki sit&lie bill passed?

In one of mainland states, they created parcel with shed-sized housing (with plumbing. bathrooms and kitchenettes) for the homeless. Why can't we do the same here?
    Be Yourself. Everyone Else Is Taken!
    ~ ~
    Kaʻonohiʻulaʻokahōkūmiomioʻehiku
    Spreading the virus of ALOHA.
    Oh Chu. If only you could have seen what I've seen, with your eyes.

Quote Originally Posted by Kaonohi View Post
    Why can't we do the same here?
    We can do anything here, 'they' just don't want to nor even care to know anything that could be a solution. Our poli's have created this mess, are continuing it, and acerbating it with BS policies veiled as solutions.
    In a recent Neighborhood Board meeting I asked City councilwoman Carol Fukunaga why she supported the sit and lie bills without first making sure there were sufficient resources and shelter placements available for the multitudes that will be affected and she just gave manini answers that showed she hadn't done much to address it, just went with appeasing her more well healed local constituents for political gains and protection instead of doing the hard and unpopular work to actually make a real difference instead of merely chasing people around. I reluctantly gave her my vote this last election and now not surprisingly regret it.
    Also at the NB meeting I asked the Mayor's rep why they couldn't have dealt with the sidewalk bums smartly by doing something downtown desperately needs and would more compassionately disrupt their behavior in the area, simply institute a major and nightly storefront/sidewalk pressure washing endeavor which would clean the town up greatly and chase the squatters away, maybe for good. A huge win win for all, but his answer was the typical poli BS "We don't have the resources". So wrong on so many levels. Penny wise, pound stupid, to say the least. And the public are not allowed to follow up with rebuttals to answers so they get away with junk replies... for the moment.
    Same crap when I had to ask the HPD Sargent speaking later TWICE why they've always have said that by law they couldn't make people move from camping and such from the sidewalks when they always have done exactly that when/wherever they've chosen to. Again, "We don't have the resources". All it takes is two officers walking the district and getting the message out, a week later after the coconut wireless helps spread the message they can ticket/arrest/institutionalize the hard cores. Problem mostly solved.
    Also, after coming off a debate at the UH law classrooms that had City councilman Stanley Chang (who co-authored the S&L bills) and two professional aid advocate smarties participating in which Chang tossed out many falsehoods and went unchallenged, I went to the NB meeting I describe and lo and behold IHS Director Connie Mitchell was a scheduled speaker. She soon had her 10 min. say and then I had my 2 mins. to speak and jumped all over her and her shelter dump big time. Just 2 items into my spiel and she was flying out of her seat in a rage to counter my assertions that they charge $90 a mo. for even one nite, they disallow people from eating meals if they have a backpack or similar, in cohouts with Abercrombie and his rouge State Health Dept. to stop island-wide feedings for the hungry in order to force everybody/thing thru the grossly inadequate doors of IHS, the systemic theft of all the great donated foods which causes them to often run out of food early, the tax payer subsidized meals are supposed to be healthy 'square' meals instead of a plateful of mac slop, and other truths. When she got to have her response she blatantly lied thru her teeth about nearly everything addressed, saying the monthly $90 fee is waived if the person truly cannot pay = BS! You'll be told to get off the property of be charged with trespassing, period. She stated people with backpacks were bringing in bedbugs and stealing, which may be true to a microscopic degree but it's in house issues that cause those problems, and on and on with her untruths. In general she just lied and didn't address other points while stressing how good IHS is. I started my 2 mins. saying IHS does do some good because they have to in order to keep the $ and contracts coming in.
    These NB meetings are always videoed and shown on OLELO Ch. 54 a month later on various Fri. and Sat. evenings. It's all there to be seen and heard. Please watch me stomp her guts out and feed the rope she used to hang herself with by compounding the grievous problems with lies, it was beautiful and more than I could have asked for.
    Carroll Cox has wanted to get Connie on his Sun. morning radio program to ask her some hard questions, so I made sure the message was sent to her office at the IHS women's shelter. This morning I called the show and told him what I'm typing here and he may be there Mon. to ask personally, but I told him not to expect a reply.
    Thing's gotta change!
    Last edited by Ron Whitfield; December 7th, 2014 at 12:35 PM.

Interesting as well that nite was how in her rebuttals Ms. Mitchell steadfastly countered my rather shocking figure of Oahu's homeless population at over 15,000 by showing how errant her much lower tally was as it consisted solely of "our count". Those annual street and shelter roundup numbers are just the people they can locate easier.
    Any staid head count is going to be far less than the realities, considering how easily the facets and stigmas of being poor can shame or confuse people into the shadows or typically fall thru the cracks. Plenty of chronic homeless and part timers / couch surfers simply are not available for any count or want to be 'counted', and yet many other needy are still unaware of the few resources available to them. It's a very nuanced and amorphous thing, but it ain't rocket science, this can be dealt with to a huge degree.

Here's your affordable housing, Caldwell style;
    http://www.civilbeat.com/2015/02/shi...g-possibility/
    http://www.civilbeat.com/2015/01/tin...ousing-crisis/
    Not even any mention of using container homes for the homeless.

Wow, 31 whole people housed by Caldwell's baloney version of Housing First with a goal of a whopping 400 out of 15,000 homeless on Oahu alone. And when their 1 year housing contract is up, then where do they go, back to the streets?
    BTW, heard anything about the Sand Island shibai lately? They keep whistling past the graveyard when asked about it, hoping they can skate by til the elections.

Lack of ID, just one of the many reasons for continued homelessness;
    http://www.hawaiinewsnow.com/story/2...ds-of-homeless

After 3 years of 'what to show for it' we see the silent departure of the State's Homeless Czar, Colin Kippen, while Gov. Ige goes about revamping the office that will deal with the ever increasing issues. We'll see if they have the slightest clue what to do.

http://khon2.com/2015/08/11/public-s...ffice-workers/

The same thing happened to me when I walking down a street and minding my own business. He was hiding and yelling choice words. Nobody was around, so it must have been directed at me. No wonder people like the homeless.

http://khon2.com/2015/08/14/city-see...apalama-canal/

At least somebody is making money.

And now we have the Mayor wasting $1/4 mil on a stupid fence along Palama Stream...

I think it's a good idea if it will prevent them from trashing and using the Kapalama Canal as a restroom. I don't have a problem with the people "camping" there if they would at least keep it clean.

Do we keep spending $1/4 mil at every turn when all the City is doing is chasing them around? Could the City / State not provided mobile sanitary facilities? They gotta be and 'go' somewhere and these aren't generally people that care much about themselves or their environment, especially with many having been beaten down for years. Whatever our officials are doing isn't working and it's wasting buku bux that could be much better used to aid these folks. But there's no type of home to put any of the 15,000 homeless on Oahu even tho we had 4 years of a costly Homeless Czar and the issues stretching beyond the Lingle admin. A $1/4 friggin million on a stupid fence! How is that in any way OK? There's another mile of canal front property on the other side of Dillingham, and 3 more sides to fence off, oh boy, $1 mil already going on fencing when a friggin cop cruising by and moving anyone along that settles is... a bit cheaper.

I agree this is not even close to being a solution but being a lifetime Kalihi-Palama resident this is really unacceptable and we who live in this area have "accepted" a lot. BTW the fence will run from makai of the freeway down to Kalani St. so the area you mentioned is included. You seem to have a lot of ideas so don't give up, keep trying to get people to listen to you. Aloha.

Thanx, D', it's all basics and common sense to me, and if we'd recognized the unacceptables earlier we'd be in good shape now. Hopefully Ige's new team has it together.

http://khon2.com/2013/05/30/homeless...-road-repairs/

Which is more important? Homeless or Potholes.

''After working and paying taxes in Hawaii for three decades, at age 59 she had been laid off from her job. Her job search was unsuccessful, and after two years, her savings and unemployment benefits had run out. She spent months searching for a place to live to no avail. Eventually she was evicted from her Waikiki apartment and forced to live in her car. She spent each day at Ala Moana Beach Park, filling out sheet after sheet of housing applications. The Institute for Human Services was the first homeless shelter that Rodrigues remembers calling, the IHS representative told her that she needed to pass an admissions test in order to stay there. The test involved being able to get on the floor and up again without assistance. Rodrigues told the representative that would be impossible due to her severe arthritis and Meniere’s disease, an inner ear disorder that causes vertigo. But Rodrigues says she was told she needed to be able to pass the admissions test to be admitted, even after she offered to bring a cot to sleep on. It was the first of many rejections during the year before Rodrigues was finally forced to move out of her Waikiki apartment, her home for nearly 14 years''
    http://www.civilbeat.com/2015/09/dis...o-place-to-go/

The City is still trashing people's possessions, important documents, meds and medical supplies, as they focus on encampments in Kakaako and putting those suffering even deeper into harder situations to overcome. Now those chickens are coming home to roost with a lawsuit against them which we'll pay for http://www.civilbeat.com/2015/09/law...ples-property/

http://www.cnn.com/2015/09/22/us/los...-homelessness/

Homelessness is going on all over this country. Thank you, President Obama.

Quote Originally Posted by Walkoff Balk View Post
    Thank you, President Obama.
    Didn't see any mention of Obama in the article or where blame could directly be laid. 'splain?

Page 9 of 19 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast