Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Curiosity Martian Probe

Originally posted by Leo Lakio View Post
    We are all alien parasites here, perhaps. Carl Sagan would remind us: "Some part of our being knows this is where we came from. We long to return. And we can. Because the cosmos is also within us. We're made of star-stuff. We are a way for the cosmos to know itself."

Great post, and spot on.

If human kind has any real desire to last the ages, the Earth is just a stepping stone, as home continents were just the first step in exploring the globe we call home.

The thought of a "Star Trek" like future, while possible for those that enlist, seems feasible, those will be people on a one way mission, imo.

Our biology just isn't as tuned to long term space exploration as we would like, YET.

We are all from the stars. Everything around us, the materials we depend on, all of it. . . from the cosmos. Pretty amazing.

I would love to see a manned moon, or martian outpost in my lifespan. I wish humanity could come together and function as a species, not race/creed/color/religious belief.

Another Sagan fave: If you want to make an apple pie, you must first create the universe.
    flickr

An email from God:
    To: People of Earth
    Date: 9/04/2007
    Subject: stop

knock it off, all of you

seriously, what the hell

--
    God

Comment

Originally posted by GregLee View Post
      Let's not get carried away. Sagan is talking about elements, not molecules, amino acids, bacterial spores, or whatever.
      And how do you propose the existence of the latter without the former, Greg?
      Originally posted by GregLee View Post
      I don't understand your question. I'm not implying that we could have extrasolar bacterial spores here without having extrasolar carbon. Rather, I'm saying that extrasolar carbon, what Sagan was mentioning, is uncontroversial science, while the presence of extrasolar bacterial spores is entirely conjectural. We are made of inorganic star-stuff. Earth might have the only life in the cosmos.
      You compared (in your words, inorganic) elements to molecules, etc. (which I am guessing you meant, by comparison, as organic).

To grab TATTRAT's Sagan quote (which needs a couple more words to gain the full impact, so I have added them back in): "If you want to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first create the universe"; Sagan's point is that everything comes from the same cosmic birthpoint (i.e., the Big Bang, followed by supernovae) - "out there," which drives our interest in interstellar exploration.

In your post, it appears you considered "elements" to not represent "life," but "molecules" and the rest to represent "life." How you clarify your distinction between "life" and "not life" - that's the crux of my question to you. Does that help?

Comment

In your post, it appears you considered "elements" to not represent "life," but "molecules" and the rest to represent "life." How you clarify your distinction between "life" and "not life" - that's the crux of my question to you. Does that help?
        No, I don't know what you're getting at. If you're trying to tell me that living things are made up of elements, yes, I knew that. The heavier elements, including carbon, came from distant stars, but the complex molecules of living things did not, so far as is known. If you want me to distinguish living from non-living matter, I'll have to abstain, since I know only enough about that to know that it's rather difficult to do.
        Greg

Comment

On the question of distinguishing living from non-living matter, there is a summary here of Erwin Schrödinger's 1944 book What is Life?.

I've run across a website explaining a theory proposing more or less the opposite of what I said above:
          Cosmic Ancestry is a new theory pertaining to evolution and the origin of life on Earth. It holds that life on Earth was seeded from space, and that life's evolution to higher forms depends on genetic programs that come from space. (It accepts the Darwinian account of evolution that does not require new genetic programs.) It is a wholly scientific, testable theory for which evidence is accumulating.
          This account of evolution and the origin of life on Earth is profoundly different from the prevailing scientific paradigm. The new theory challenges not merely the answers but the questions that are popular today. Cosmic Ancestry implies, we find, that life can only descend from ancestors at least as highly evolved as itself. And it means, we believe, that there can be no origin of life from nonbiological matter. Without supernatural intervention, therefore, we conclude that life must have always existed.
          http://www.panspermia.org/intro.htm
          Wild.
          Last edited by GregLee; January 9, 2013, 11:33 AM.
          Greg

Comment

NASA Home> Missions> Mars Science Laboratory= Curiosity Mars Rover!

http://www.nasa.gov/mission_pages/msl/index.html
            Life is either an adventure... or you're not doing it right!!!

Comment

Some of the original templates for order are found in the properties of the 98
              elements normally found in these parts.

The primordial soup was already very organised about 500 million
              years ago

and has aggregated along the lines of poker odds.

In the end, it's all math.

Comment

http://science.nbcnews.com/_news/201...id=msnhp&pos=4

They're accepting applications.

Comment

I am pretty sure there has to be some living ecosystems still living

on Mars.

The deepest canyon on Mars has areas where a higher atmospheric pressure could exist and foster better conditions for the continuance of still extant lifeforms.

I remember the first time I hiked into the Grand Canyon,at Indian Springs Camp,

All was warm.

At the rim of the Canyon the temps were frosty.

Comment

Adding a little ramble here.

A good portion of the Martian landscape is of volcanic origin.

There are probably at least a few lava caves on the planet.

There are starting to emerge from the Martian data, actual pictures of possible skylights into old lava flows.

Even though the Martian planet is old and barren on its surface,

There is no doubt a huge amount of geothermal heat still at its core..

Comment

http://news.yahoo.com/more-evidence-...144337304.html

Mo wada found on Mars.

Comment

The probe continues its amazing trek across the Martian surface.

The most recent volcanic eruptions are of great interest.

Some recent meteor impacts (200) have been seen in the last year.

www.esa.int

Comment

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...ZARD-Mars.html

Geckos on Mars?

Comment

Originally posted by Walkoff Balk View Post
                            Looks like a lizard, but I've found rocks in Kahalu`u that look like small animals. Maybe it's just a baby dinosaur, or a tharg.
                            Be Yourself. Everyone Else Is Taken!
                            ~ ~
                            Kaʻonohiʻulaʻokahōkūmiomioʻehiku
                            Spreading the virus of ALOHA.
                            Oh Chu. If only you could have seen what I've seen, with your eyes.

Comment

Just below the surface is a layer of moisture .

On a planet that size there has to be a few remnants of earlier probes from other places.

Getting across a galaxy may take awhile, but decent starships can do this , given Time.

After all, that is what our Earth is.

Comment

And now, positive evidence that there were once rivers, or at least streams, on Mars. Gullies have been found inside the crater that have "stream-polished" pebbles. Rounded small bits of rock that appear as if they had been rolled around in a stream for a couple hundred years or so.
                                Be Yourself. Everyone Else Is Taken!
                                ~ ~
                                Kaʻonohiʻulaʻokahōkūmiomioʻehiku
                                Spreading the virus of ALOHA.
                                Oh Chu. If only you could have seen what I've seen, with your eyes.

Comment

Working...
                                X