ISO: interactive online scheduler

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ISO: interactive online scheduler

A friend of mine, who is single, was recently diagnosed with cancer and will need transportation 5 days/week for 6 weeks, to and from treatments. I'm looking for an interactive, online appointment calendar web site that will allow her friends to sign up as volunteer drivers on dates of their choice. I don't even know how to search for this! The closest example I have for what I'm looking for is MealTrain. I emailed MealTrain asking if it can be used for rides only but have not heard back. Any and all suggestions appreciated.

Re: ISO: interactive online scheduler

Have you tried setting up a Google Calendar and sharing it with the parties involved? It's quite easy. It updates live (so that if you're looking at the calendar on your computer while someone else is typing her name on a certain date from her own computer, you'll see it update almost in real time. All parties will need a Gmail address, I'm pretty sure, but anyone who doesn't have one should have one, even if it's one with a fake name.
    But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
    GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

Tutu, Hawai'i County CSE offers free transportation for the elderly.
      Peace, Love, and Local Grindz

People who form FIRM opinions with so little knowledge only pretend to be open-minded. They select their facts like food from a buffet. David R. Dow

Comment

Originally posted by scrivener View Post
        Have you tried setting up a Google Calendar and sharing it with the parties involved? It's quite easy. It updates live (so that if you're looking at the calendar on your computer while someone else is typing her name on a certain date from her own computer, you'll see it update almost in real time. All parties will need a Gmail address, I'm pretty sure, but anyone who doesn't have one should have one, even if it's one with a fake name.
        I'll second this. Our halau uses one to sign up for availability for potential hula shows, so that Kumu can plan the sets based on which dancers/musicians can be there.

Comment

Thx for the google calendar suggestion. There will be a mass email going out and I know not having a gmail addy will cause a problem for many who will want to volunteer but who are unwilling to add another email addy to their email roster.

Matapule...my friend isn't elderly. Thx for the suggestion, tho'. I'll hang on to it.

Comment

I also thought the Hawaii County part of Matapule's suggestion might be questionable, since it sounds like you plan to be in on this and don't live in Hawaii County.

Sue, for those people who are hesitant to sign up for another email address, may I suggest that you suggest to them that they not think of it as another email address? Google's services are now so far-reaching (YouTube, Blogger, Picasa, Google Docs, Google Mail...) that it's pretty tough to be productive on the web without utilizing at least one of its products. You and your friends might choose instead to think of the GMail account as a single username for multiple websites and services. Nobody is saying you or your friends will need to check this new email account on a regular basis ('though it certainly couldn't hurt). If you and they don't want to use it as a real email address, that probably isn't even necessary.

We're moving into a time when online collaboration is going to be the norm (probably). In the same way that many people probably delayed getting email addresses for a long time until they simply couldn't function in today's world without it, people might delay getting involved in collaborative, web-based projects. However, I don't think it'll be too long before they'll have to cave in.

Your idea to use a multi-user, collaborative calendar for helping this friend is great. It's something that might have been unheard-of just ten years ago. But the new technologies often require new ways of thinking, and if that means signing up for a new email address, it seems a small price to pay.

Besides, what's the difference between signing up for a new email address that you might never use for email and signing up for a new account with some service that will require you to remember yet another password? Seems like it's pretty much the same thing to me.

But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
            GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

Awww, Scriv...thx so much for taking the time to put the situation into perspective. I completely agree with you, esp. on your last point re: new email addy vs new account. When our film industry had an email list serv, I managed it. This group is seriously anti email for anything not directly related to the industry. One day this low traffic list received 3 emails. I received requests from 5 members to unsubscribe from the list because their inboxes were bombarded!!!!!! And this is the group that will be targeted to help my friend/colleague! I won't completely discount google calendar. I'm just afraid I'll lose potential volunteers because of it. But I guess that will hold true for any online calendar I select. Thx, again.

Oh, when I saw Matapule's suggestion involved Hawaii County, I googled Oahu and got the appropriate link.

Comment

You might also contact the American Cancer Society in Honolulu @ (808) 595-7544, and ask if they have a suggestion for you on how to easily organize a transportation schedule.

ACS also has a program that helps with transportation. That service might have suggestions on how to do the organizing for your friend. "To learn about volunteer opportunities in your area with the Road to Recovery program, call 1-800-227-2345".
                Last edited by Amati; December 22, 2012, 08:32 PM.
                Now run along and play, but don’t get into trouble.

Comment

Thx so much, Amati. Appreciate it.

Comment

Working...
                  X