Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Schatz to succeed Inouye

Originally posted by Leo Lakio View Post
    I doubt it. She's been in politics long enough to have developed a thick enough skin to ignore that.
    Boy, you have no idea of how easily the seeds of jealousy and rivalry flourish among politicians. I've heard stories at both the city council and the state legislature of lawmakers and their aides getting on each other's wrong sides over petty stuff. Is it any different in the beltway? Yeah right.

But in the case of Schatz and Hirono, the titles of senior and junior senator is far from only being ceremonial in nature. Schatz being sworn in yesterday means he not only has a leg up on Hirono, but on the entire freshman class of 12 senators who won't take office until January of next year. Seniority will have an impact on how committee assignments are handed out now, and how positions of rank and leadership are divvied out in the future.

Originally posted by scrivener View Post
    Mazie is one of only two Democratic gubernatorial candidates to lose to a Republican in a very long time. If I were her, I'd be thinking my lucky stars I've gotten as far as I have. The senior/junior thing shouldn't bug her one iota.
    Taking a long haul look over her entire career, you may very well be right. Hirono should be grateful for having gone as far as she has, in spite of her past setbacks and deficiencies. But as the old saying goes, ambition knows no bounds. And there's no shortage of ambition over in Capitol Hill.

Human nature being what it is, I don't see how Hirono could not feel at least a little bit irked over this latest development. Put yourself in her shoes and be honest with yourself for a moment: You've spent the last year and a half tirelessly campaigning, handshaking, fundraising, engaging in contentious debates, hosting town halls, making innumerable media and public appearances, and doing the gazillion other things it took to be a Senator Elect. It's not hard to embrace the role of junior senator, when your legislative partner is a larger-than-life historical figure who has toiled in Washington DC for a half-century. It's quite another feeling to play second banana to a 40-year-old who has spent a few days lobbying in his home state and suddenly being appointed to a senior senator role that he might hang onto for a good long while.

And please.... no quotes from Hirono in an effort to prove me wrong. Of course, Mazie isn't going to start off her career in the Senate on the wrong foot. In front of the camera, she'll be the loyal Democratic spearholder, preaching party unity and being a team player. It's what she's good at, and it's gotten her to where she is at today. After 30 years, she's not going to depart from that formula.

But deep down inside, Mazie can't be feeling all sunshine and lollipops over the chain of events that were triggered by Inouye's death. The one consolation she does have is that she won't have to face re-election again until 2018. In contrast, Schatz will have to go out and campaign in 2014 and '16.
    Last edited by Frankie's Market; December 28, 2012, 02:05 AM.
    This post may contain an opinion that may conflict with your opinion. Do not take it personal. Polite discussion of difference of opinion is welcome.

Comment

Originally posted by Frankie's Market View Post
      But deep down inside, Mazie can't be feeling all sunshine and lollipops over the chain of events that were triggered by Inouye's death.
      Well, aren't we all lucky here that we have you to tell us her inner thoughts? You're so good at filling us in on how other people think, thank you for that. [/teasing]

Comment

History-maker: Mazie Hirono or Colleen Hanabusa?
        Hirono allies are now lobbying top Hawaii Democratic Party officials to ensure the appointed senator is sworn in on the same day as the duly elected one as a matter of basic fairness. Under that scenario, Hirono, who was elected to succeed retiring Sen. Daniel Akaka, would be the senior senator from Hawaii since she’s served longer in the House.

“There is a concern among a certain constituency that if the newly appointed person is sworn in before Mazie, it doesn’t seem fair on its face,” Hawaii Democratic Party Chairman Dante Carpenter told POLITICO on Wednesday.
        “Some of her campaign supporters are concerned it would give an undue advantage,” he added. “It doesn’t smack of fairness in an institution that is supposed to be the fairest of the land.”

Comment

Interesting article. I found this part very telling.

Asked whether she was concerned about the possibility Hawaii’s other senator could become more senior than her, Hirono replied: “They’re expecting us to be sworn in on the same day.”
          Sure, Mazie. Being sworn in on the same day as any of the 3 finalists for the appointed position (Hanabusa, Schatz, Kia'aina) would have preserved that precious status of being Hawaii's senior senator for yourself, based off of your years spent in the House.

Leo and Scriv, say what you want about Hirono being indifferent on the matter. But right there, this kind of statement shows that seniority is very much on Mazie's mind. She didn't want an Abercrombie appointee to be sworn in before her, even if that opportunity would give Inouye's successor a leg up on the 2013 freshman class, which would be of benefit to our state.

Thank goodness for Harry Reid making his urgent plea for our state to appoint someone to fill Inouye's seat ASAP. With the fiscal cliff negotiations on the line, it sucked the air out of Hirono's camp from making a big stink. For that, we should be very grateful.
          This post may contain an opinion that may conflict with your opinion. Do not take it personal. Polite discussion of difference of opinion is welcome.

Comment

Besides the designation of "senior", on bio listings for each Senator, when it gives years of service, it will be:

Schatz, serving in the Senate since 2012.
            Hirono, serving in the Senate since 2013

Within a few months, when things are not as fresh in the public's mind, it is going to seem like Schatz has an additional year on Hirono, not just a few weeks.
            Now run along and play, but don’t get into trouble.

Comment

Working...
            X