• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Schatz to succeed Inouye

Suprise suprise suprise!
    http://news.yahoo.com/hawaii-lieuten...-election.html
    https://www.facebook.com/Bobby-Ingan...5875444640256/

Re: Schatz to succeed Inouye

Congratulations to the new senator. I think he's a good choice.

And thank-yous to whoever corrected the spelling on this thread's title.
    But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
    GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

Originally posted by scrivener View Post
      And thank-yous to whoever corrected the spelling on this thread's title.
      I saw that too, but I thought "secede" was just an alternate spelling for "succeed."

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Comment

Did Abercrombie disrespect Dan Inouye's deathbed request?

Comment

Originally posted by LikaNui View Post
          I saw that too, but I thought "secede" was just an alternate spelling for "succeed."
          The loss of k in the pronunciation of words like "succeed" is the subject of a blog article by Jan Freeman here.
          Greg

Comment

Originally posted by Ron Whitfield View Post
            Suprise suprise suprise!
            I'm not.

From the time Abercrombie was first elected to the state legislature and all the way up to becoming governor, he was able to win his elections without riding on Inouye's coattails. Whatever choice he made, I had a good feeling all along that Neil wasn't going to be influenced by any feelings of obligation to the late senator.
            This post may contain an opinion that may conflict with your opinion. Do not take it personal. Polite discussion of difference of opinion is welcome.

Comment

I think the "deathbed wish" angle was foul play in the political arena. Regardless of who is involved, I am glad that other things were brought in to consideration when decision making came about.

Meanwhile, I do not personally feel Schatz is nearly as politically experienced as some others that were vying for the position.
              Now run along and play, but don’t get into trouble.

Comment

Originally posted by scrivener View Post
                Congratulations to the new senator. I think he's a good choice.
                Me too!

Originally posted by Walkoff Balk View Post
                Did Abercrombie disrespect Dan Inouye's deathbed request?
                No. It was wrong of Sen. Inouye to expect to 'appoint' the next Senator.
                It wasn't his place.

Originally posted by Frankie's Market View Post
                From the time Abercrombie was first elected to the state legislature and all the way up to becoming governor, he was able to win his elections without riding on Inouye's coattails.
                Whatever choice he made, I had a good feeling all along that Neil wasn't going to be influenced by any feelings of obligation to the late senator.
                Yes, that's right.

Originally posted by Amati View Post
                I think the "deathbed wish" angle was foul play in the political arena. Regardless of who is involved, I am glad that other things were brought in to consideration when decision making came about.

Meanwhile, I do not personally feel Schatz is nearly as politically experienced as some others that were vying for the position.
                Agree with the first part and hope the best for Schatz.
                Life is either an adventure... or you're not doing it right!!!

Comment

Is there any reason why Hanabusa couldn't have run for Akaka's seat so that Inouye could really have mentored her?

Comment

Perhaps it was seen as a better strategy to keep Hanabusa as the incumbent Representative, than to chance loosing a race for Senate.

OR

Perhaps she was waiting in the wings (as a Rep.), thinking it would be a slam-dunk for her to be appointed to an open Senate seat whenever that became an option.

OR

There has been more made of the "deathbed wish" than was there in reality, with there being a political motivation behind the widespread news stories about the so-called-wish.

OR

There is an element to the situation kind of like, "Oh, gee, I'd have invited you to last week's big picnic but I lost your phone number", in other words, actions speak louder than words, in this case from the Democratic party.
                    Now run along and play, but don’t get into trouble.

Comment

Originally posted by D'Alani View Post
                      Is there any reason why Hanabusa couldn't have run for Akaka's seat so that Inouye could really have mentored her?
                      If Hanabusa ran for Akaka's seat, that would have put her on a direct collision course against Hirono.

Both women like to portray themselves as being Inouye proteges. If that's true, then it shouldn't be surprising that Senator Dan didn't want his two prized acolytes in the House running against each other in the primary, which would possibly open the way for an interloper like Ed Case to emerge victorious. Hirono was in the House 4 years longer than Hanabusa, so Inouye probably orchestrated things along the lines of having Hirono join him in the Senate and to groom her as Hawaii's future senior senator, and then eventually stepping aside to make room for Hanabusa to be the jr. senator. But unfortunately (or fortunately, depending on your political POV), that master plan was scuttled when Inouye's health didn't cooperate.

Speaking of seniority, I can't help but be amused that in terms of service time and swear-in date, Brian Schatz shall henceforth be our senior senator, even though Hirono was elected to that body before Schatz's appointment. I have the feeling that this will be a source of irritation to Mazie for years to come.
                      This post may contain an opinion that may conflict with your opinion. Do not take it personal. Polite discussion of difference of opinion is welcome.

Comment

[quote=....which would possibly open the way for an interloper like Ed Case to emerge victorious. [/quote]

Inouye being the humble man that he was so often protrayed as could not forgive Case for running against Akaka after all those years? Did anyone ever bother to ask Akaka what his feelings were at the time?

Comment

Originally posted by Frankie's Market View Post
                          I have the feeling that this will be a source of irritation to Mazie for years to come.
                          I doubt it. She's been in politics long enough to have developed a thick enough skin to ignore that.

Comment

Mazie is one of only two Democratic gubernatorial candidates to lose to a Republican in a very long time. If I were her, I'd be thinking my lucky stars I've gotten as far as I have. The senior/junior thing shouldn't bug her one iota.
                            But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
                            GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

May the Schatz be with you!

Comment

Working...
                              X