Fighting vs Self-Defense, Bullying, and Violence

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fighting vs Self-Defense, Bullying, and Violence

This big kid verses little bully video went viral last year. Marc MacYoung has an interesting article on it. He explains why he considers it a "fight" and not "self-defense". Why it was "social violence" verses "asocial" violence.

His article also makes me think about our current HT debate about gun control. He talks about the debate that surrounded the video.
    "By concealing your desires, you may trick people into being cruel about the wrong thing." --Steven Aylett, Fain the Sorcerer
    "You gotta get me to the tall corn." --David Mamet, Spartan
    "
    Amateurs talk technology, professionals talk conditions." --(unknown)

Re: Fighting vs Self-Defense, Bullying, and Violence

I didn't read the highlighted websites (yet), just wanted to comment that my son was bullied in grade school by the sons of the playground yard matron for three years. No one told us until we got it out of our son, so we pulled him out of St. Mark's and put him in a school where he was not bullied. His grades and attitude improved immensely.

Bullies are cowards who rely on anonymity or other types of protection from proper punishment. It even happens a lot on Internet talk sites!
    Be Yourself. Everyone Else Is Taken!
    ~ ~
    Kaʻonohiʻulaʻokahōkūmiomioʻehiku
    Spreading the virus of ALOHA.
    Oh Chu. If only you could have seen what I've seen, with your eyes.

Comment

Originally posted by Kaonohi View Post
      my son was bullied in grade school by the sons of the playground yard matron for three years. No one told us until we got it out of our son
      That must have been heart breaking to go through Most parents dread the thought of their child being bullied.

So the boys were hiding behind their mom, eh? Did she even know? Would she even believe her darling angels could do such a thing?

I let my kids kids know I love and support them, but I always keep an eye out for any signs that they contributed to the conflict they are experiencing.

I'm glad you got him out of that toxic situation and he recovered
      "By concealing your desires, you may trick people into being cruel about the wrong thing." --Steven Aylett, Fain the Sorcerer
      "You gotta get me to the tall corn." --David Mamet, Spartan
      "
      Amateurs talk technology, professionals talk conditions." --(unknown)

Comment

Originally posted by MyopicJoe View Post
        So the boys were hiding behind their mom, eh? Did she even know? Would she even believe her darling angels could do such a thing?
        She was either in denial, lying, or complicit. She knew what was going on, and didn't intervene. The school principal took her word over ours, too.
        Be Yourself. Everyone Else Is Taken!
        ~ ~
        Kaʻonohiʻulaʻokahōkūmiomioʻehiku
        Spreading the virus of ALOHA.
        Oh Chu. If only you could have seen what I've seen, with your eyes.

Comment

Working...
        X