For Civil Rights in Hawaii

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• For Civil Rights in Hawaii

MLK Day got me thinking. What was Hawaii like before all the Civil rights laws were pass back in 1968 (?).

I'm not educated enough on this.

I assume the civil rights movment was for all, not just African-Americans. That would inlcude Chinese, Japanese, Korean, etc, etc.

So in Hawaii, where the "minority" was (is) the majority, how was it? Meaning were the Japanese (for example) allow to vote? What about Japanese living on the mainland? Was the experience different between mainland and Hawaii?

Voting is the only thing that came to mind, but I hope you can educate me on what was it like in Hawaii for "minorities" before the civil rights movement.

Thanks,

Re: For Civil Rights in Hawaii

Statehood for Hawaii happened right as the civil rights movement was starting up in areas on the mainland, so that must have helped ease the whole issue into the local psyche before the LA/Detroit riots of the '60s blew up everything.
    https://www.facebook.com/Bobby-Ingan...5875444640256/

Comment

Its an interesting question because early on there were efforts by the whites to suppress Asians, and at some point those efforts were dropped. When, how, by whom are good questions. I will try to look into that.

Comment

Here in Hawaii things were totally different. Growing up the majority of us weren't remotely aware of this black/white thing. All I knew was that my neighborhood consisted of almost every minority that lived here and that the haole's were almost always tourist. It wasn't until I went into the military that I realized I was a minority. The Japanese in Hawaii and on the mainland went through entirely different kinds of prejudice. Here, growing up it was almost non existent whereas up there from what I've read and seen in movies they went through some extreme prejudices. Living in Hawaii pre 1970's was really paradise now we are no different than any city in the USA, even though we are much more laid back.

Comment

Originally posted by D'Alani View Post
          It wasn't until I went into the military that I realized I was a minority.
          If I recall correctly, going back a little way, the ethnic Japanese were in the majority here. Pretty hard to feel the effects of prejudice if you're a (former) majority and furthermore a power center in commerce, the civil service, and politics. However, I imagine you would have encountered lots of prejudice if you were in the first or second generations of immigrants, after large numbers of Japanese were brought in to work the plantations. If you want to find prejudice here which could have been affected by the latest civil rights struggle on the mainland, a place to look might be ethnic minorities from more recent waves of immigration.
          Greg

Comment

Originally posted by GregLee View Post
            If I recall correctly, going back a little way, the ethnic Japanese were in the majority here. Pretty hard to feel the effects of prejudice if you're a (former) majority and furthermore a power center in commerce, the civil service, and politics. However, I imagine you would have encountered lots of prejudice if you were in the first or second generations of immigrants, after large numbers of Japanese were brought in to work the plantations. If you want to find prejudice here which could have been affected by the latest civil rights struggle on the mainland, a place to look might be ethnic minorities from more recent waves of immigration.
            You are absolutely right, growing up I was in the majority especially on Oahu. I'm third generation born and raised in Kalihi and still reside in Kalihi. Like most we were poor so I really didn't feel the effects of being a power center of commerce, civil service and politics. I did get "hijacked" a few times on the way to school by the "locals" so I learned to hide my lunch money. Our neighborhood wasn't dominated by any one ethnicity so aside from the occasional run ins with some "locals" it was all good. Like most we didn't know we were poor so life was good.

Comment

LOCATION, LOCATION, LOCATION!

That's what makes minorities; it's where you're at.

I think in Hawai`i, we are all minorities, I don't think anyone has a 50% or more majority.

Depends on where you go, what neighborhood you live, etc. I feel like a minority, though I am racially mixed. A double minority? (kidding)

I get discrimination from people who look much like me... go figure.

Civil rights is a legal/constitutional term. Racial discrimination is down-home division based on appearances. It sux.
              Be Yourself. Everyone Else Is Taken!
              ~ ~
              Kaʻonohiʻulaʻokahōkūmiomioʻehiku
              Spreading the virus of ALOHA.
              Oh Chu. If only you could have seen what I've seen, with your eyes.

Comment

The Japanese may have composed the largest ethnic group in the islands during the territorial era. But the Caucasian minority wielded more power and influence.

There were many forms of discrimmination back then that would simply not be tolerated today. My grandparents would have been turned away for a loan from Bank of Hawaii, for no other reason than their race. AJAs were denied service by Hawaiian Air during WWII. The Pacific Club barred membership to Asians until the late 1960s.

Ah, the good ole days...
                This post may contain an opinion that may conflict with your opinion. Do not take it personal. Polite discussion of difference of opinion is welcome.

Comment

Let me add more questions.

The Pearl Harbor attack played a factor in the AJA experience in Hawaii, relating to this topic.

What about other (major) Asian groups during that time, the Chinese and Koreans?

And I assume, there were already "mix" races.

How was someone who was (is) Japanese-Chinese treated?

How was someone who was (is) Japanese-Hawaiian treated?

How was someone who was (is) Japanese - Caucasion treated?

What I'm getting at is someone who is Japanese-Chinese looks very much "Asian" where as Japanese-Hawaiian looks "Local" and other Hapa.

Comment

Working...
                  X