Punahou Carnival 2013

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Punahou Carnival 2013

DON'T FORGET TO GO!!, HAVE FUN!!. & TAKE YOUR KIDS, FAMILY, & FRIENDS!!

http://www.punahou.edu/page.cfm?p=1750
    Aches & Pains
    (through out our lives) knows no time!!.

Re: Punahou Carnival 2013

Originally posted by Serenity View Post
    DON'T FORGET TO GO!!, HAVE FUN!!. & TAKE YOUR KIDS, FAMILY, & FRIENDS!!

http://www.punahou.edu/page.cfm?p=1750
    who went to the carnival??
    Aches & Pains

Comment

The only years we went to the Punahou Carnival was when we lived three blocks away and had our own reserved parking. Just too crowded. And this year, one of the rare years without rain, definitely brought higher attendance.

I saw as many posts in my social feeds from the carnival as I did from people who gave up and ended up at Ala Moana or Ward Center. I'm happy for the event's success and for all the money it undoubtedly raises, but I'm not drawn to it.

Except by the malasadas. I admit going one year just to buy a box full that I then shipped off second-day air to a friend in Oregon.

Comment

When I was a student, the Punahou Carnival was THE thing for students at Honolulu's smaller private schools to do when it rolled around. We didn't have our own carnivals, so Punahou's became ours by default. You knew you'd run into friends, students at other private schools, when you went, and there was always fun drama about who was going to the carnival with whom, or who might ride the rides with whom. My first solo date with my tenth- and eleventh-grade girlfriend was the Punahou Carnival. I asked a girl at the top of the Ferris Wheel at the Punahou Carnival to go to my senior prom with me (she said yes).

It hasn't really changed for private-school students: it's still the thing everybody does when it's carnival weekend. And since I've been teaching in those schools for sixteen years and prefer not to run into students on my days off, now the carnival is THE LAST place I want to be. I have wonderful, wonderful memories of that carnival; I'm happy to let my adorable learners make their own wonderful memories now.

Of course, many of those friends I met up with at the carnivals of my youth are now Punahou graduates or parents of Punahou students, so THEY have found themselves back on the old familiar field, manning the booths. One such friend brought a bag of malasadas to a small get-together after manning that booth all day Saturday. They weren't as good as I remember them, but they were still quite yummy. They tasted like Members Only jackets, Rubik's Cubes, the music of Journey, and Cheers.
        But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
        GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

I missed it again... they sell the best malasadas there (not neatly rounded, like most). Where/when else can you get them?
          https://www.facebook.com/Bobby-Ingan...5875444640256/

Comment

Originally posted by pzarquon View Post
            Except by the malasadas. I admit going one year just to buy a box full that I then shipped off second-day air to a friend in Oregon.
            Are they mo broke da mouth than Leonard's?

Comment

Depends on your preference. They're a bit denser and chewier than a Leonard's malasada, which is puffier and airier. There's less frying consistency, too, which means that one batch might be a bit crispier than the next.
              But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
              GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

They are extremely rough in texture and shape, not refined in smooth definifition like Leo's, makes for a crunchier 'sada that grabs more sugar, and a far more memorable experience.
                https://www.facebook.com/Bobby-Ingan...5875444640256/

Comment

sigh, I thought it would be a lot better as the years go by, but I was disappointed in the rides in the time limitations they used & the amount of tickets that they charged for their games as in their dart games etc., I think the ones I probably liked the most or at least so so was their food, they should have made it a lot longer than just 2 days worth.

Does anyone have listings of the next few carnivals that will be held this year (when & where?)?? .
                  Aches & Pains

Comment

Originally posted by scrivener View Post
                    Depends on your preference. They're a bit denser and chewier than a Leonard's malasada, which is puffier and airier. There's less frying consistency, too, which means that one batch might be a bit crispier than the next.
                    Sounds like you're describing andagi.
                    This post may contain an opinion that may conflict with your opinion. Do not take it personal. Polite discussion of difference of opinion is welcome.

Comment

Originally posted by Frankie's Market View Post
                      Sounds like you're describing andagi.
                      Yes, but not quite. It's still definitely a malasada with its eggy taste and creamy texture. If you've had a Champion malasada, I'd say this leans more in that direction, but these are less hefty, and as Ron says, they are a bit crisper on the outside. Just not quite as well-done as an andagi.
                      GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

Originally posted by Serenity View Post
                        Does anyone have listings of the next few carnivals that will be held this year (when & where?)?? .
                        There's the 50th State Fair and the Iolani Fair?

Comment

Originally posted by Walkoff Balk View Post
                          There's the 50th State Fair and the Iolani Fair?
                          Do you know when & Where that will be held?

Is there a website to that too??
                          Aches & Pains

Comment

Go to www.ekfernandez.com and www.iolanifair.org

Comment

Originally posted by D'Alani View Post
                              Thank you so much for the website
                              Aches & Pains

Comment

Working...
                              X