Pearlridge Memories

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pearlridge Memories

Prompted by this classic 2002 Stores that I miss thread on HawaiiStories, a reader sent in a photo of Pete's Modelcraft from 1971, crediting it to George F. Kennedy. It was a store at Pearlridge, mentioned among several others.

Lum's Restaurant, Pearlridge Music, DJ's Sound City, Hallmark, Spencer, The Ritz, Foxmoore Casuals, San Francisco Rag Shop, Daiei, Candyman, Farrell's, Hartfield's, International Kitchen, Playwell Toys, See's Candies, Popcorn Planet... some long gone, some back from the past.

Of course, old-timers will remember when Pearlridge had Phase I and Phase II, none of this Uptown/Downtown silliness. Pearlridge Opened in 1972 and expanded in 1976. Any fond (or less than fond) memories of this retail landmark?

Re: Pearlridge Memories

Originally posted by pzarquon View Post
    Lum's Restaurant, Pearlridge Music, DJ's Sound City, Hallmark, Spencer, The Ritz, Foxmoore Casuals, San Francisco Rag Shop, Daiei, Candyman, Farrell's, Hartfield's, International Kitchen, Playwell Toys, See's Candies, Popcorn Planet... some long gone, some back from the past.
    Was there a Daiei at Pearlridge Center? I don't remember that. I remember there was a Shirokiya branch there. I also remember before there was a Pearlridge Center it was just a wilderness set alongside Moanalua Road. I took a photograph of it a long time ago, but I've since lost the photograph.

By the way, did anyone else notice that the correct spelling of that area is Pearl Ridge (two words), but the shopping center is Pearlridge (one word)?

Comment

First off, love the photo! Secondly, I thought Pearlridge opened in 1971. Then I did some looking up and discovered that Liberty House opened in 1971 there, but the mall itself, now known as Pearlridge didnt open until 1972.

Daiei was located near the current Longs??

Check out this info:

http://www.monorails.org/tMspages/Prlrdge.html
      http://www.pearlridgeonline.com/info/history
      http://mall-hall-of-fame.blogspot.co...a-highway.html

Comment

Not long after Phase II opened, near the monorail stop, was a Japanese-style restaurant, "Volks Steakhouse".
        Now run along and play, but don’t get into trouble.

Comment

Originally posted by Kalihiboy View Post
          Daiei was located near the current Longs??
          Yes. Daiei occupied the first and second floors, next to where the twin glass elevators are.
          This post may contain an opinion that may conflict with your opinion. Do not take it personal. Polite discussion of difference of opinion is welcome.

Comment

Originally posted by pzarquon View Post

Prompted by this classic 2002 Stores that I miss thread on HawaiiStories, a reader sent in a photo of Pete's Modelcraft from 1971, crediting it to George F. Kennedy. It was a store at Pearlridge, mentioned among several others.
            Holy Moly! There was a Pete's Modelcraft in Pearlrigdge? Pete's Modelcraft in the "Kam Shopping Center in Kali-heeeee" (Kam Kam Kam! lol) used to be my go-to store for model kits back in the early 70's, thanks to my dad!

Yep. Can't forget Playwell, the Japanese toy and stationary store that most of us kids who grew up in the 70's got all our Kikaida, Inazuman, Kamen Rider, Zaboga, Ultraman, Rainbow Man, Robocon and other Japanese "Tokusatsu" toys from.

Ah, the hannabaddah dayz memories!
            sigpic The Tasty Island

Comment

Originally posted by Pomai View Post
              Holy Moly! There was a Pete's Modelcraft in Pearlrigdge? Pete's Modelcraft in the "Kam Shopping Center in Kali-heeeee" (Kam Kam Kam! lol) used to be my go-to store for model kits back in the early 70's, thanks to my dad!

Yep. Can't forget Playwell, the Japanese toy and stationary store that most of us kids who grew up in the 70's got all our Kikaida, Inazuman, Kamen Rider, Zaboga, Ultraman, Rainbow Man, Robocon and other Japanese "Tokusatsu" toys from.

Ah, the hannabaddah dayz memories!
              This looks like the Pete's Modelcraft in Ala Moana Center back in the day.

Comment

Originally posted by Honoruru View Post
                Was there a Daiei at Pearlridge Center? I don't remember that. I remember there was a Shirokiya branch there. I also remember before there was a Pearlridge Center it was just a wilderness set alongside Moanalua Road. I took a photograph of it a long time ago, but I've since lost the photograph.

By the way, did anyone else notice that the correct spelling of that area is Pearl Ridge (two words), but the shopping center is Pearlridge (one word)?
                Daiei first opened in Phase I next to Liberty House when it first opened. When they moved to Phase II, Shirokiya took over Daiei's original site.

Comment

Working...
                X