The Carrion Crow and Other Former Hawaii Publications

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Carrion Crow and Other Former Hawaii Publications

I logged onto ilind.net today and it had a message from one of Ian's friends who not only is a moderator of one of The Randi Rhodes Show's message boards, but who was involved with a UH student publication called The Carrion Crow. Starting with that, this thread can be called Memories in Print Media, about any and all defunct Hawaii-based periodicals.

http://forum.therandirhodesshow.com/...&f=67&t=17569& (via ilind.net)

There is a lot of other material floating around that needs to be made public (if it can be located). I still have some unpublished material from the files of the Carrion Crow (U.H.'s legendary early underground publication) and I'll put some here when it all gets organized and scanned...

Does anyone remember The Carrion Crow?
    Last edited by BKHale2007; August 17, 2004, 06:32 AM.

Re: The Carrion Crow and Other Former Hawaii Publications

Does anyone remember The Carrion Crow?
    I'm bummed to say that I don't, but I'm glad to learn about it, and would definitely look forward to whatever ultimately gets dug up and posted online.

After I served as Ka Leoeditor for two years (the last time UH is going to let that happen!), some former staffers and I started our own "alternative student newspaper." We only lasted three issues (we just started making money but also realized we couldn't stand each other!), but we got some good press (from TV, the dailies, and of course the Honolulu Weekly) when UH tried to stop us from distributing on campus. We even got mentioned in a few mainland three-dot columns as one of those many First Amendment datapoints.

We covered the Porteus Hall flap, the neverending feral cat situation, ourselves... it was fun, that's for sure, and kind of neat to know bored kids twenty years from now can dig up the "archives" at Hamilton Library.

I even wrote a self-referential research paper on alternative student papers, and found some pretty neat stuff. Sandwich Isle Free Press, The Roach, Hawai‘i Free People's Press, The Weekly Bong, The ScoR (at UH-Hilo), Ke Alala (put out by ASUH when they got fed up with my successors at Ka Leo)...

I'd love to hear about more!

Comment

Former Hawaii Publications: Hawaii Teens On the Go

If I find out more about The Carrion Crow, I'll post it here. In the meantime, I'm wondering what happened to Hawaii Teens On the Go.

Comment

Don't forget Sunbums,waaaaaayyy back in the early 70's.A mostly music and entertainment freebie. I found some old concert posters from them,including Jeff Beck for $4,$5 and $6, Stephen Stills and Rod Stewart and Faces,all at the HIC. I still call it that,just to irritate folks

Comment

A little before my time (I was born in 1976) but I'd like to know more about Sunbums. What's HIC, by the way?

Comment

Originally posted by BKHale2007
            A little before my time (I was born in 1976) but I'd like to know more about Sunbums. What's HIC, by the way?
            Hawaii International Center,now the Neal Blasidell center. NBC (the network) tried to sue the city for using NBC. That went nowhere fast.

Comment

Today's Ilind.net Has Info on the Carrion Crow

Ian got an email from one of those who worked on the paper. Much detail. Check it out.

Comment

Harold e-mailed me last week as well, after finding my clearly incomplete paper online when looking for references to the Bachman Hall sit-in. I pointed him to Ian's page and this forum, encouraging him to refresh everyone's memories.

I'm glad Ian mentioned finding an entry for it in the UH library archives. That's one way to have hope your work isn't entirely forgotten. I always get a little thrill seeing our rebel paper listed... with a call number (LG961.H4k U55) and everything.

Comment

That is great.

I was wondering if anyone remembers Hawaii Teens On the Go! What fun they could have had covering Jasmine and the attendant Jasmania.

Comment

Does Anyone Remember Selective Shoppers of Hawaii?

Late 60s, early 70s shopping guide. Any information would be appreciated.

Comment

All right, I'm finally replying...I've been very distracted by the events of the last few weeks...I think they called it an "election", but I'm not sure it qualifies...Well, at least we know what model they are using for the so-called elections in Iraq.

The Carrion Crow seems to have been a little more shrouded by time than I had imagined. Maybe everyone who remembered it moved away, or just became "responsible citizens". I've always wondered...

There is a new incarnation. This time it's a weblog, and if you are curious you may take a look at The Carrion Crow to see what you think. It's very eclectic (as was the original Crow) but so far I've worked in a few things from the 1960's and I'll be including more.

If good had prevailed on Nov. 2, the process might have developed differently, and more gently. Now, with the lunatics in charge of the asylum, the gloves are off.

Comment

Welcome to the board. I checked out your blog. It's good to know the Crow lives on electronically.

Comment

Working...
                        X