Question About The Hawaiian Days

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question About The Hawaiian Days

In my continuing effort to learn the Hawaiian language I am learning the day names and the lunar months. Today for example is Mo-halu of the moon month Welo. Question is, each day gets a recommendation for fishing and planting. Today is considered a good day for both. How do those recommendations hold up, if anybody happens to know. Any idea if they hold up on the mainland, too?

Re: Question About The Hawaiian Days

And another question about moon days. When do they start, when do they end? Today for example is Hua. Does it start when the moon rises this afternoon, or did it start last midnight? Hua is recommended for fishing and planting.

Comment

This answer from another site:

You know, Hawaiian Moon Calendar have 10 day "week", and base onna phase of moon, ok? Base on when moon rise ova horizon, and it start when moon and sun can be seen together, but moon come up and sun go down, ok? So, is it good for fish? Well, I open to try bout anything, and I not gonna say it mobetta but maybe no worse, ok? Planting, well hea Hawaii not that important bout phase of moon, ok? So, still good for use today? Not sure, but if it help me catch fish, I gonna try, ok? Peace and aloha to you!

Comment

O ke Ka-ne ke-ia la-. I nehinei ua ke Ka-loa Pau, a ka Lono i ka la- apopo. Maika'i 'ole o ka lawai'a a ka maha'ai ke-ia Ka-ne.

Comment

Back from the pier where iwakaluakumahiku fishermen (and women) were totally bringin' em in. Today is Hoaka, rated good for fishing. Seems to be very true!

Comment

This is great stuff, Kalalau. I don't fish or plant any more, but I'm glad to hear about what you are learning!

K!
            Be Yourself. Everyone Else Is Taken!
            ~ ~
            Kaʻonohiʻulaʻokahōkūmiomioʻehiku
            Spreading the virus of ALOHA.
            Oh Chu. If only you could have seen what I've seen, with your eyes.

Comment

http://www.kamehamehapublishing.org/.../mooncalendar/

A handy link that shows each day in its Hawaiian name with fishing and planting recommendations.

Little by little, step by step, I am learning the language. I never thought I could get the pronouns, but I did. Never thought I could get the numbers, but I did. Now I seem to be getting the day names and the month names. This is the month of Iki'iki by the way, it began last Hilo, the new moon on the 12th of March. Learning itself is interesting. You go along for a couple of weeks sort of futilely beating your head against a wall then you notice learning has actually become easier. Learning experts say your brain secretes hormones, grows pathways, making the connections of learning easier. Its amazing, its a physical process going on in the brain and you do notice it. Turns out learning languages is good mental exercise for keeping the brain in shape. I need that!

Comment

Originally posted by Kalalau View Post
                http://www.kamehamehapublishing.org/.../mooncalendar/

A handy link that shows each day in its Hawaiian name with fishing and planting recommendations.

Little by little, step by step, I am learning the language. I never thought I could get the pronouns, but I did. Never thought I could get the numbers, but I did. Now I seem to be getting the day names and the month names. This is the month of Iki'iki by the way, it began last Hilo, the new moon on the 12th of March. Learning itself is interesting. You go along for a couple of weeks sort of futilely beating your head against a wall then you notice learning has actually become easier. Learning experts say your brain secretes hormones, grows pathways, making the connections of learning easier. Its amazing, its a physical process going on in the brain and you do notice it. Turns out learning languages is good mental exercise for keeping the brain in shape. I need that!
                I always refer to the moon calendar when I plant, our ancestors really knew their stuff!

I am glad you found the calendar from KS, I used to buy the paper calendar all the time, but since

I found it online, I have it bookmarked for easy access - no, I have not memorized the days, itʻs too

much for my aging brain

Comment

Checked fishing days from the Farmers Almanac, not much correspondence, agreed on four days, disagreed on four. Of course its possible different conditions apply in Hawai'i from the mainland and the Farmers Almanac probably takes fresh water fish into account and thats probably pretty low on everybody's list in Hawai'i.

Comment

Working...
                  X