Hanohano's "culturally insensitive and racist criticisms"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Hanohano's "culturally insensitive and racist criticisms"

Faye Hanohano showed her true character. It is what it is, and voters in her district will have to decide for themselves if they want this kind of representation in the State House.

I'm actually more disappointed in the limp-wristed response by Speaker Joe Souki. He should have led the call for Hanohano to be formally censured by the House and to strip her of her position as chair of the Ocean Management committee. That Souki failed to do so and to act as though Hanohano's non-apology was sufficient reveals how fragile his hold on the Speakership is. He doesn't want to lose the support of a single member of his faction, even if one of them is a flat-out racist.

While I support Souki's goal of introducing legalized gambling into this state, I sorta have to wonder how long he will be able to maintain control over his Democratic/Republican coalition. Not for very long, me thinks.
    This post may contain an opinion that may conflict with your opinion. Do not take it personal. Polite discussion of difference of opinion is welcome.

Comment

Originally posted by Kaonohi View Post
      I don't understand why this is such a big deal! Is it not just as racist to decry racism as it is to use it? Do not both perpetuate the idea of racism?
      Huh? Kaonohi, you are surprising me again. My comments below are generalities that can be applied to more than just the issue of Hanohano.

Q. Does pointing out a fault cast the same fault upon yourself?

A. NO, pointing out that someone has made racist remarks is NOT "just as racist". Same as, for example, if I point out a cheater, it does not make me a cheater. Or, if I point out a thief, it does not make me a thief. Or, if I point out someone of low moral character, it does not make me of low moral character. So, you see, if I point out a racist, it does not make me a racist.

Q. Does it matter who is in a leadership role?

A. It is a "big deal" because our State Legislators are elected to make laws and rules by which we all must abide. They are in a position to say how our tax dollars will be spent. They are our guidance for how we want our state to progress because they are our government leadership. Would you not agree that having a legislator who made racist comments being in that important position would be a "big deal"??
      Now run along and play, but don’t get into trouble.

Comment

Originally posted by Amati View Post
        Huh? Kaonohi, you are surprising me again. My comments below are generalities that can be applied to more than just the issue of Hanohano.
        Pardon me. I've been going through a difficult time of late - no excuses, but likely my thinking is not spot on (as if it ever is).

I don't like pointing fingers and calling people racist, because I think we can label their remarks only from our point of view, and we don't know the person. We create racism as we point our fingers. When we label their remarks as racist we do so from our perception of racism. When we label their actions as racist, we label THEM racist, and I think it's a racist action to do so.

I view Hanohano more as a sloppy, angry, disoriented art critic than a racist. I also still think she has a right to decorate her work area as she chooses. It is, after all, her comfort zone - where she works - no matter who 'owns' the room (we do!)

When I worked for the State, I decorated my work space very... uh... strange. And I asserted my right to do so. I won - everything except political allies. Regimented people made remarks in the negative, others smiled that I fought the machine and won, and encouraged me. I did it for them as much as me. I thing being 'average' or 'normal' is a psychic illness. If everyone is the same, what can we learn? How can we grow? How can we determine what is a fault or a benefit?

'Racism' is a popular accusation theme these days. If one does not fall in step with the norm, you get branded. Perhaps we should make them wear a red letter "R" on their chest? Why can't people, even legislators, have their preferences?

In fact, it is perhaps good she acted how she did. We get to see a part of who she is, and make our decisions during elections accordingly.

Politicians must be careful what they say. She was not, so perhaps she is a poor politician. This is to be decided in the voting booth, unless someone wants to raise impeachment proceedings?

Yes, I do surprise people at times, even my good friends, because I do not go with the flow. Sometimes I'll even take an opposite view just because it needs to be said. Please don't take it personally, or 'brand' me because of it. I may surprise many of my friends from time to time, but it's OK that we see things differently. That's how we learn.

I consider you my friend partly because you are not afraid to confront me on such issues as this, and politely, I might add, as opposed to some who have disagreed with me.

There's no need to take my side, but I'd like you (you all) to consider my orientation - think about it. I fully admit I can be wrong. I am not perfect.

Getting back to the title: were her remarks culturally insensitive? I believe yes. Were they racist? I don't think so. If she said the PEOPLE were 'X, Y, Z,' then yes, that would be racist. But she just decried their artwork as ugly - I don't think that racist.
        Last edited by Kaonohi; March 6, 2013, 01:45 PM. Reason: Clarity
        Be Yourself. Everyone Else Is Taken!
        ~ ~
        Kaʻonohiʻulaʻokahōkūmiomioʻehiku
        Spreading the virus of ALOHA.
        Oh Chu. If only you could have seen what I've seen, with your eyes.

Comment

But she just decried their artwork as ugly - I don't think that racist.
          Of course that's not racist. No one thinks it is. It's the words she used in expressing her artistic preferences that were an issue. She's free to hate Japanese art and to say so, but just not free to use "Jap", because that word is offensive. Like "kike" and "spick". But why are we still talking about it, since she apologized? It's over.
          Greg

Comment

Originally posted by GregLee View Post
            But why are we still talking about it, since she apologized? It's over.
            Ah yes, the standard-escape "I'm sorry you are mad" apology (not, "I'm sorry what I did").

Comment

I consider you my friend partly because you are not afraid to confront me on such issues as this, and politely, I might add, as opposed to some who have disagreed with me.
              Thank you, ditto. Keeping things civil does help to keep the conversation going in a positive direction (even if disagreeing), and allows for each side to learn new ideas to explore.

Comment

Originally posted by Amati View Post
                Ah yes, the standard-escape "I'm sorry you are mad" apology (not, "I'm sorry what I did").
                I guess it all depends on who (of the target population) feels they were offended. I am not Japanese. I used to be offended by "haole," and frankly I still find it derogatory, but I'm over that. It's not - it's descriptive.

Being singled out with a term you are unfamiliar with is disconcerting. If you are a bystander, you don't know what is offensive.

Take her "apology" at face value. She said what she meant, and must live with it. Not my problem. She broadcasts what she is, and how she thinks. Judge accordingly.
                ~ ~

Comment

Originally posted by GregLee View Post
                  Of course that's not racist. No one thinks it is. It's the words she used in expressing her artistic preferences that were an issue. She's free to hate Japanese art and to say so, but just not free to use "Jap", because that word is offensive. Like "kike" and "spick". But why are we still talking about it, since she apologized? It's over.
                  She apologized if anyone was offended, not because she thought she was wrong. A major difference.
                  Obviously, she thinks she was right.... Not all of us feel that way.
                  ~ ~

Comment

Originally posted by Frankie's Market View Post
                    I'm actually more disappointed in the limp-wristed response by Speaker Joe Souki. He should have led the call for Hanohano to be formally censured by the House and to strip her of her position as chair of the Ocean Management committee. That Souki failed to do so and to act as though Hanohano's non-apology was sufficient reveals how fragile his hold on the Speakership is. He doesn't want to lose the support of a single member of his faction, even if one of them is a flat-out racist ... I sorta have to wonder how long he will be able to maintain control over his Democratic/Republican coalition. Not for very long, me thinks.
                    Agreed. The real lesson here, is that when given an opportunity to demonstrate his power when it really mattered, Rep. Souki decided it wasn’t worth the political risk to himself. Nothwithstanding, the net effect of this decision is that creates the appearance of tacit approval on his part. At least in the public’s mind. That in itself, is reason enough to believe that Souki’s leadership tenure will be short-lived. The guy is a career politician and one of the last deep-insider old boys on the block, anyway. The old guard can’t last forever.

We can’t be so fixated on our desire to preserve the rights of ordinary Americans.

— U.S. President Bill Clinton
                    USA TODAY, page 2A
                    11 March 1993

Comment

Originally posted by TuNnL View Post
                      That in itself, is reason enough to believe that Souki’s leadership tenure will be short-lived. The guy is a career politician and one of the last deep-insider old boys on the block, anyway. The old guard can’t last forever.
                      Interesting that you hold this observation. Calvin Say (Souki's predecessor) was first elected to the House in 1976, which makes the Palolo/St. Louis Hts. rep. the longest current serving lawmaker in the entire State Capitol. (Souki wasn't elected until '82.) In addition, Say was entrenched as the Speaker for 14 years, which is longer than anyone else who held that position since statehood. (Souki's previous tenure as Speaker lasted 6 years).

Beyond length of service, the characterization of Souki's re-emergence to House leadership as being the "old guard" reasserting itself is also curious, given that Souki forged a bipartisan coalition, something that previous Speakers have never had to do over the last 30 years.

If you ask me, Souki and Say are both "old boys."

Meet the new boss. Same as the old boss.
                      This post may contain an opinion that may conflict with your opinion. Do not take it personal. Polite discussion of difference of opinion is welcome.

Comment

Chapter Two, February 2014:

As reported in the StarAdvertiser:

Aarin Jacobs, an HPU environmental studies student, spoke in favor of a bill that would have created administrative penalties for harming sharks and rays within state waters. He said in an email Wednesday to House leaders that Hanohano, who is Native Hawaiian, told him that he wanted to take her food. He said Hanohano also asked whether she would have to resort to eating people if there was a taro famine and she faced penalties for eating shark.
                        Jacobs, who is 22 and from Portland, Ore., said Hanohano rhetorically asked the audience why Westerners come to Hawaii and tell people what to do. He said the representative also inquired about his age and then dismissed him with a "pfft" and told him to sit down.
                        Jacobs, the HPU student, told House leaders in his email that an apology is not enough for the latest incident. In his opinion she should be removed.
                        Jacobs said his experience testifying before Hanohano's committee was nothing like he expected. The exchanges with Hanohano occurred, he said, after he had given his testimony and she called him back before the committee for questions.
                        "She very rudely berates me in front of the committee and audience, interrupting my responses to her, and speaking in Hawaiian without the courtesy of translation," he wrote in his email. "She asked questions and made statements that were irrelevant to the situation and discrediting to her position as a committee chair."
                        When differences arise, it is said to not be part of the problem, but to instead be part of the system to fix a problem, such as going through "official" processes such legislatively. Humm.... Seems that there is a kink in the legislative process, which is supposedly a place to "fix" things.

Comment

Well, Department of Land and Natural Resources (DLNR) chair William Aila drops a bombshell. I can see Rep. Hanohano resigning after this. Bill Aila is perhaps one of the most outspoken Hawaiian activists in the past decade. Aila’s crusade against the U.S. Army's Stryker Brigades in Mākua Valley in concert with Earthjustice and Envirowatch were as significant as ‘Bumpy’ Pu‘uhonua Kanahele’s occupation of Makapu‘u Point. But even he has reached the tipping point and can no longer allow Hanohano’s behavior to be tolerated...

Hanohano abuses authority, DLNR says

By Derrick DePledge

In a letter to state House Speaker Joseph Souki, William Aila Jr., the department's director, detailed several incidents in which Hanohano allegedly made disparaging comments toward department staff at committee hearings.

[...]

“We believe in accountability and stand ready to answer hard questions by lawmakers,” Aila wrote. “But DLNR leadership and staff have no level of confidence in testifying before a hearing in which Rep. Hanohano is present that they will be treated fairly or with respect by her.”

“We just thought that the speaker needed to be aware of it and the speaker needed to talk to Chairperson Hanohano to try to get her to be more cordial.”
                          Last edited by TuNnL; February 19, 2014, 01:43 PM. Reason: ‘ōlelo accuracy

We can’t be so fixated on our desire to preserve the rights of ordinary Americans.

— U.S. President Bill Clinton
                          USA TODAY, page 2A
                          11 March 1993

Comment

I could be wrong. But, I thought she was the smartest person in the room.

Comment

Fox News or the Catscratch Fever guy would describe Hanohano as Hitler.

Comment

Hanohano reprimanded by Souki for conduct
                                Souki concluded that the complaints against Hanohano (D, Hawaiian Acres- Pahoa-Kalapana) were valid. The speaker described her conduct as "unacceptable," a violation of the House code of conduct, and disruptive to the workplace. Souki informed Hanohano that House leaders would monitor her conduct and that any future incident would result in her removal from all committee assignments.

Comment

Working...
                                X