Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hawaii’s Most Expensive, Over-the-Top Eats

Where's it at?

Recommendations received so far include Vintage Cave Hawaii @ Shirokiya, said to require a $50,000 membership fee.

Chef Mavro offers a nice little dinner that starts out with a flight of sustainable caviars (4 each caviars served with blinis & crème fraiche (10g each) paired with champagne as a starter, leading into the GRAND DEGUSTATION menu, paired with “fresh perigord truffles – flown in from france” and wine pairing. $567 without tax and tip per person.

Know any other pricey eats here in Hawaii that can top that? $$$,$$$,$$$
    sigpic The Tasty Island

Re: Hawaii’s Most Expensive, Over-the-Top Eats

Note to self: remember to put a Tupperware container of cavier in my purse when going out for dinner!

Comment

wait, Shirokiya, like Ala Moana Center Shirokiya, like the ok food courts up top and decent electronic, great pastries mall store Shirokiya? 50K Membership fee? What?
      flickr

An email from God:
      To: People of Earth
      Date: 9/04/2007
      Subject: stop

knock it off, all of you

seriously, what the hell

--
      God

Comment

Originally posted by TATTRAT View Post
        wait, Shirokiya, like Ala Moana Center Shirokiya, like the ok food courts up top and decent electronic, great pastries mall store Shirokiya? 50K Membership fee? What?
        It's actually under Shirokiya, like somewhere in the parking garage underneath. And no, I haven't gone there. Here's a link to the Vintage Cave Yelp page if you're curious.

And Pomai, I think the one that takes the cake (or whateva) on your website is the $80,000 loco moco. Now, that is totally outrageous!

Comment

Would you call the food kau kau?

Comment

Originally posted by Walkoff Balk View Post
            Would you call the food kau kau?
            Well, "eats" certainly doesn't ring as "haute cuisine". "kau kau", nah, not so much either. Only if it were attached with, for example, "Kau Kau Hōnaunau", would it add some monetary value by mere association, but it's not.

Perhaps I'll rename my follow-up blog post "Extremely Haute Hawaii Cuisine". Yeah. Yes! I like that! Thanks! Mahalo WB for the inspiring question!
            sigpic The Tasty Island

Comment

Originally posted by Honoruru View Post
              And Pomai, I think the one that takes the cake (or whateva) on your website is the $80,000 loco moco. Now, that is totally outrageous!
              Well, you are aware that was a fantasized caption.

Imagine really, how difficult it would be to concoct an $80,000 Loco Moco. First of all, where on Earth, let alone Hawaii would you find eggs and beef worth its weight in gold? The only way these "Ridiculously Overpriced" dishes -- most of which from New York -- have become so stratospherically expensive, is because they threw "shinanigans" on it such as 24k gold flake shavings, Caviar and Truffles. But then, if you ask me, that's really cheating.

Then you have that $25,000 Frozen Hot Chocolate from Serendipity 3, which gets almost 2/3 of its value from the included $14,000 solid gold spoon you eat it with and take with you.

Or that $600 burger from a lunch truck of all places, that gets 1/2 of its value from the three $100 bills it's wrapped in.

If that's the case, prepare a Chicken Katsu plate lunch by placing the Chicken Katsu over a bed of shredded cabbage. Except! Except, replace the cabbage with finely shredded $100 bills totaling $40,000. Serve that with Tonkatsu sauce that's been combined with $40,000 in cash that's been blended with it.

There you go. An $80,000 Chicken Katsu Plate Lunch. The most expensive Chicken Katsu Plate Lunch ever made and sold, featuring a very "green" sauce!

Just don't tell the feds you made that. Or that you bought it. LOL!!!

Is cash edible?
              sigpic The Tasty Island

Comment

Originally posted by tutusue View Post
                Note to self: remember to put a Tupperware container of cavier in my purse when going out for dinner!
                TTS, That's a new low.
                sigpic The Tasty Island

Comment

Originally posted by TATTRAT View Post
                  That "ok" food court is no longer just "ok". It's since been renovated, renamed "Yataimura", and dude. Yataimura is possibly THE BEST Japanese food court this side of Japan! Total Japanese food sensory overload.

As for Vintage Cave, the Yelp reviews Honoruru linked to are way more than I could ever explain. Wow, those are some of the most in depth Yelp reviews I ever read! I guess they had to justify the price of admission by venting with long reviews. Been there, done that. LOL!!!!
                  sigpic The Tasty Island

Comment

Originally posted by Pomai View Post
                    That "ok" food court is no longer just "ok". It's since been renovated, renamed "Yataimura", and dude. Yataimura is possibly THE BEST Japanese food court this side of Japan! Total Japanese food sensory overload.

As for Vintage Cave, the Yelp reviews Honoruru linked to are way more than I could ever explain. Wow, those are some of the most in depth Yelp reviews I ever read! I guess they had to justify the price of admission by venting with long reviews. Been there, done that. LOL!!!!
                    I guess it has changed quite a bit, when I lived there, it was nothing more than a cafeteria style lunch counter. Good, but NOTHING like I imagine it is now, WOW! Next time I am over, I am looking it up!
                    flickr

An email from God:
                    To: People of Earth
                    Date: 9/04/2007
                    Subject: stop

knock it off, all of you

seriously, what the hell

--
                    God

Comment

Working...
                    X