Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Military bases?

Hi memorylane,

Yes, there is plenty of welfare here, as there is a lot of need for it, with the high prices. Just now there is more affordable/govt. subsidized housing being built. One of the saddest things about this place is that native Hawaiians, and locals are moving in droves, to las Vegas, especially. Seems every May I meet or know grads that are going to UNLV soon after graduation, but even though you know they leave their hearts here, often they stay there, marrying, buying homes and putting down roots. I even know some parents that are thinking about following their two oldest kids, and moving there to stay, though they are many-generational Hawaiians. People being priced out of their homeland, that is so sad.

Originally posted by memorylane
    Just for the heck of knowing, do they even have government housing help or foodstamps?
    Anywho, its only a dream as i know how unrealistic it would be for me to move the boys there with me especially. But coming there for a week or so IS going to happen!!
    Thanks so much Karen for you help, you are a godsend!! My email is thankmel8r@hotmail.com but even tho this board is on the real quiet side, i will still be checking in a bit.
    HUGS!!!
    Stop being lost in thought where our problems thrive.~

Comment

Originally posted by Karen
      Hi memorylane,

Yes, there is plenty of welfare here, as there is a lot of need for it, with the high prices. Just now there is more affordable/govt. subsidized housing being built. One of the saddest things about this place is that native Hawaiians, and locals are moving in droves, to las Vegas, especially. Seems every May I meet or know grads that are going to UNLV soon after graduation, but even though you know they leave their hearts here, often they stay there, marrying, buying homes and putting down roots. I even know some parents that are thinking about following their two oldest kids, and moving there to stay, though they are many-generational Hawaiians. People being priced out of their homeland, that is so sad.
      That is sad , seeing how Hawaiians love and protect whats theirs. We would get so aggravated at all the military people that would be on a *tour* there and gripe and moan about being *stuck on this rock*......they couldnt just take off to see family and well, you know where you end up after driving only a few minutes in any direction. I will NEVER forget the beauty! I just came from my moms to try to find some pix of us but they were close ups of us in the backyard of 1867 so it wouldnt have helped you spot the place. My mom did say however that Ekaha was toward the back of the base.
      And its off of Menoher.
      Does it still rain there for a few minutes everyday? Thats where I saw my first DOUBLE rainbow. Wow.......*dreamy state*
      If anyone on Oahu is NOT happy , feel free to trade places with me.

Comment

karen
        We are planning on making the move to Oahu next year. I can see how not being able to itemize an interest deduction could really hurt. But all the "good" places to live have hefty income taxes. I grew up in Illinois, and have never paid state tax while in the military, but I sure as heck don't want to retire in Illinois??
        I suppose too that everyone's perception of Hawaii's affordablility (or lack thereof) is a function of their standard of living. When we were stationed in Hawaii, we went out to eat once a week with 3 kids. We could never afford to go to a sit-down restaurant, so we packed a cooler with drinks and every Saturday we walked through Waikiki to the International Marketplace food court. Never spent more than $25 dollars! I'm making more now, but my earning power upon retirement is yet to be determined. I sure hope I don't need 100k/yr. I'll never be able to make that.

On a different note, would you ever consider living in Waianae?

mark

Comment

Hi Mark,

I haven't checked out waianae, but since we bought a house two years ago, it isn't an issue. I hope you are keeping up with real estate prices here. Www.hicentral.com is an excellent place to, it being the official website for the real estate board here. These prices are exhorbitant now, and making 100K a yr. here affords a nice, average middle class lifestyle. I certainly don't have a champagne taste on a beer budget or anything, and can say no to myself. We will move if and when hubby's job will or can transfer us.

Comment

Hi there,

it actually can go a few days without any rain, depending on the part of the island, but Central Oahu, the general area of Schofield does seem to get at least the really light showers more than half the nights of any week, than not, just enough to make things a little muddy, and help a person track stuff into the house. (g)
            I do know that in the more than ten years I have lived here, I have seen more rainbows than I had in my entire life everywhere else I have lived.

Originally posted by memorylane
            That is sad , seeing how Hawaiians love and protect whats theirs. We would get so aggravated at all the military people that would be on a *tour* there and gripe and moan about being *stuck on this rock*......they couldnt just take off to see family and well, you know where you end up after driving only a few minutes in any direction. I will NEVER forget the beauty! I just came from my moms to try to find some pix of us but they were close ups of us in the backyard of 1867 so it wouldnt have helped you spot the place. My mom did say however that Ekaha was toward the back of the base.
            And its off of Menoher.
            Does it still rain there for a few minutes everyday? Thats where I saw my first DOUBLE rainbow. Wow.......*dreamy state*

Comment

Karen,
              Yes, I've been watching the prices in Hawaii increase for the last year, but I've also been tracking San Diego's market. Simply put, we've made 200K on an 800 sq ft home in 2 years! We like it here, but the problem is that the only way to get at that equity is to sell. I've noticed that there is quite a disparity in price between homes in say, Aiea and homes in Waianae. And somewhere in the middle, both geographically and in price is Wahaiwa and Ewa Beach. I'm thinking of either buying a small place in Waianae for cash and working my way up, or going a bit up-market with a small mortgage on the Ewa Plain. Either way, it will be a significant reduction in my current suffocating mortgage. Thanks for the link....I'm going to check it out now!

PS I'm Navy too. Mark

Comment

The mud.......oh yeah, how fun except that we had concrete/lineoleum flooring. My mom actually wrote to Tide I think it was and guess what? They couldnt offer any suggestions but did send free coupons, lol.
                I just went to that hicentral site.......wow, those are monthly rent prices? Lordie!!

Comment

Karen disappeared on me..........

Comment

Anyone able to go on Schofield???

I was conversing with Karen who said she would try to get some pix of where I used to live there on SB but she has vanished. Would anyone else be able to?

Comment

I'd help if I could, but although I now live a bit closer (Mililani), I can't get on base.

For anyone else, the address is 1867-B Ekaha Circle, and here's a Yahoo! Map (thanks, Link!) to the location.

Comment

OH mercy, memorylane! I am so sorry to have been rude. Dang me, I really haven't posted in awhile, and I do need to be reminded and encouraged to do this, but I offered cuz I shop every week, usually the weekend.

I have a digital, and it just seems to be the right thing to do. Please just post or message me the street name again, and Ill bring up a map of base online, and go ahead and be familiar with where your old street is, per the gate I usually drive into.

Life is so dang busy as you know, and I just get self-absorbed, but I offered and it won't take a lot of time or anything, just the reminder to TAKE the darn camera and snap a few, then my teen can show me, AGAIN (ahem..G) how to email them to you. (shame shame on lazy me...having three puter geeks in the house, I always have let them do things for me, and I never paid attention exactly how to upload or anything, since I didn't have to, but...I know how SILLY this is.)

Please feel welcome to private message me here, or just post, and I, right now, am going to pay attention to which thread we are on, or I'll forget by tomorrow.

Comment

PS...memorylane,

my teen just told me that she'll be glad to run to commissary with me this weekend, or the next, probably this one, just you know, life being spontaneous, and we'll find that place, surely it is still there, and ON a map online, and I really do owe it to whomever lives there now to knock on the door, ask if I can snap pics for you, and then I can snap a couple of the street, and whatever you see FROM that address.

Yes, this all hinges upon there still being a house at that addy, but usually streets themselves can't disapear, so either way, we'll snap a few, and teen says we'll mail them to your hotmail. I won't disappear again, and I think I'll email you a test email so you will have my hotmail addy, too.

Comment

What a great thread! My husband was a sargent in the Army and stationed out of Schofield. We lived off post in the town of Mililani. We had a small townhouse and its still there. When the kids and I were in Hawaii last August, we drove by so that I could show them where we used to live when the oldest daughter was born. I recall shopping at the commisary and PX on base...I even shopped at the Navy commissary near Pearl Harbor and at the PX on Hickam AFB. We grocery-shopped only twice a month as that's when my husband got paid. We'll be in Hawaii again next August and I'll probably drive by the Mililani townhouse again to see if it's still there!

Yeah, I know about LV.....I have a sister and many cousins who have relocated to Las Vegas and Washington state. My parents and two of my other siblings still live on Oahu along with many of my ohana members.

I enjoyed reading this thread! Mahalo for the memories!
                            Lovena

Comment

Oh, Karen! No, you werent rude!! I know life can be crazy sometimes........I was actually hoping it was anything other than a bad turn of luck like a wreck or elsewise! I also figured maybe you got kind of scared away, lol.......it is kind of weird of someone wanting to get pictures snapped like this. Part of me just wants to say the heck and hop a plane out but the money i have at the moment is all i have in the world and when its gone, that will be that so........besides, it makes me so blue when i think of my life then compared to now, lol......i was *in love* with this guy next door and the cross from Kole Kole, I found out was removed, etc........someone posted the map link above, 1867 B (1867 is/was a building with 4 units to it) so B is the second one from the left. I'd love to see the whole building but whatever you can and will do will be great tho too!

Comment

Hey memorylane,

I will look for the map link above, and see how close the street is to the McComb gate, I THINK...is the one I use, it is the one across the street from a golfing store. anyway, will do what I can, cuz it just seems right to do, and NO, I do not for one sec. think it strange you want pics of your childhood home, good grief, perfectly normal, as I would LUV to see pics of the house I lived in when I was in elementary school in Austin, Texas.

Did you get my note to your hotmail account? The name on it should be Sunshine, I think, anyway, it is my hotmail addy, if not, I will email you again. Hotmail allows so much junk mail that you may have ignored the thing, not noticing it was a personal letter from me, well a note.

I will be in touch!

Comment

Working...
                                X