Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The Russians know where to draw the line.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Russians know where to draw the line.

Even the Russians know what is RIGHT!

On February 4th, 2013, Vladimir Putin, the Russian president,
    addressed the Duma, (Russian Parliament), and gave a speech about the tensions with minorities in Russia :

"In Russia live Russians. Any minority, from anywhere, if it wants to
    live in Russia, to work and eat in Russia, should speak Russian, and
    should respect the Russian laws. If they prefer Shari‘a Law, then we
    advise them to go to those places where that's the state law. Russia
    does not need minorities. Minorities need Russia, and we will not
    grant them special privileges, or try to change our laws to fit their
    desires, no matter how loud they yell 'discrimination'. We better
    learn from the suicides of America, England, Holland, and France if we
    are to survive as a nation. The Russian customs and traditions are not
    compatible with the lack of culture or the primitive ways of most
    minorities.

When this honorable legislative body thinks of creating new laws, it
    should have in mind the national interest first, observing that the
    minorities are not Russians.

The politicians in the Duma gave Putin a standing ovation for five minutes!

Be Yourself. Everyone Else Is Taken!
    ~ ~
    Kaʻonohiʻulaʻokahōkūmiomioʻehiku
    Spreading the virus of ALOHA.
    Oh Chu. If only you could have seen what I've seen, with your eyes.

Re: The Russians know where to draw the line.

may vee alvez luuk to Mudda Russia for our eenspeeration.

Comment

In a sick way tyrants are sort of weirdly entertaining. Stalin was famous for always getting really really long applause. He'd make some statement like "400,000 cubic hectares of sorghum" and the audience would leap to its feat, shrieking and cheering and applauding and it would go on and on and on. Why? Nobody wanted to be seen to be the first to stop clapping!

After the death of Kim Jun Il the internet was full of videos of thousands of grief stricken North Koreans, crying their eyes out. In the days after the funeral people who were observed to have mourned insufficiently or insincerely were taken away never to be seen again. You can't make up stuff like this. It all makes you glad to live in the USA where despite our problems and they are many, you do not need to cheer agriculture reports or grieve if you don't want to.

Comment

What Putin was referring to was when the laws of a minority trump the laws of a country.

Muslim religious laws have different interpretations of marriage, divorce,, family relations, inheritance, support of post-divorce women, etc. If they live in a country with secular laws, those secular laws should supercede laws based on religious tenets - women would be treated as secular laws dictate, without regard to religious tenets (unless there is no conflict).

It's like: "When in Rome, do as the Romans."

If someone from a country where hashish is legal in public came to America, could they expect to smoke Hashish in public here? Same principle.

As far as tyrants, I don't know much about Putin, but I thought his statement of principle was not racist or discriminatory, and indeed, deserved applause just on its own merits.
        ~ ~

Comment

I agree with you and I agree with Putin on this case. He's right about Europe committing suicide. I don't think Hispanic and Anglo culture are very antagonistic. They seem to be able to coexist fine, they have coexisted for over a century with not much problem. Problems have been the exception. The friend who lives in London has told me over the years that Middle Eastern and English cultures do clash, and it is the same on the continent. I so regret having to say it, but there will come a time when the people of France and Germany and Holland will have to either send their Middle Eastern origin residents home, or leave home themselves, its only a matter of time. Sorry. Really. Thats how I see it.

Comment

Link?

All I can find is articles saying this is all a hoax.

http://www.hoax-slayer.com/putin-dum...aria-law.shtml
            flickr

An email from God:
            To: People of Earth
            Date: 9/04/2007
            Subject: stop

knock it off, all of you

seriously, what the hell

--
            God

Comment

Originally posted by Kalalau View Post
              I agree with you and I agree with Putin on this case. He's right about Europe committing suicide. I don't think Hispanic and Anglo culture are very antagonistic. They seem to be able to coexist fine, they have coexisted for over a century with not much problem. Problems have been the exception. The friend who lives in London has told me over the years that Middle Eastern and English cultures do clash, and it is the same on the continent. I so regret having to say it, but there will come a time when the people of France and Germany and Holland will have to either send their Middle Eastern origin residents home, or leave home themselves, its only a matter of time. Sorry. Really. Thats how I see it.
              I hope it doesn't come to that. I believe, with time, people can learn to peacefully co-exist. Look at America: every time a new immigrant group came in (Irish, Polish, Italian, Puerto-Rican, etc.) there was a perod of adjustment, and finally grudging acceptance, and finally inclusion.

When you move somewhere it often takes a few generations to settle into new culture, new laws and new habits.

A country should be understanding and compassionate, but not so much to knuckle under to newcomers.
              o
              ~ ~

Comment

Originally posted by TATTRAT View Post
                Link?

All I can find is articles saying this is all a hoax.

http://www.hoax-slayer.com/putin-dum...aria-law.shtml
                Many around the Internet are denouncing this as untrue - the speech, anyway. Some sites are listing/presenting it as valid/true, but no OFFICIAL confirmation has been posted that I can find.

The concept, however is solid, and I'd vote for Putin if this is how he stands on issues. Not like wimpy Obama.

I also could not find legitimate links to the article. It was well-done, however; it fooled me (not a hard thing to do, though).

Problem is, the entire Internet is getting harder and harder to believe; it's unbelievable.

"How do you know it's untrue?"
                "Oh, I saw it on the Internet."

Whatever we read, pro or con, whatever forwarded emails we get, anything on the Internet is suspect. A true wolf in Grandma's nightgown! (The better to fool you with, my dear.)

Thanks Tatt, you are our personal firewall.
                Last edited by Kaonohi; April 12, 2013, 02:05 PM.
                ~ ~

Comment

Working...
                X