No announcement yet.

Who has neighbors w/ those small bikes?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Who has neighbors w/ those small bikes?

So, Kaonohi, you're saying these "pocket bikes" are still popular or prevalent in more rural neighborhoods? Perhaps the legislation merely moved them "underground" -- which, for law enforcement, may effectively be any place that's too far to drive.

I admit I haven't seen one or heard one in months... but then again, I live in Mililani, where having the wrong mailbox installed earns you a stern letter.

Comment

First of all, it's not supposed to be quiet in the country. Tractors, rototillers, weedwhackers, mills, dairy cattle, chickens & roosters, and EARLY risers making all that clatter from 4:30 am till long after dark.

Anybody who thinks it should be quiet in the country clearly did not grow up on a farm.
      FutureNewsNetwork.com
      Energy answers are already here.

Comment

Originally posted by timkona View Post
        First of all, it's not supposed to be quiet in the country. Tractors, rototillers, weedwhackers, mills, dairy cattle, chickens & roosters, and EARLY risers making all that clatter from 4:30 am till long after dark.

Anybody who thinks it should be quiet in the country clearly did not grow up on a farm.
        Tim, I agree wholeheartedly. But, it's a different kind of noise that is quiet - relatively.
        I have little traffic noise, just those bikes and the occasional 'monster truck.' The goats across the street make music for my ears. The Shama Thrush singing in my back yard is a pleasant alarm clock. The peacocks seem to shut up early and rise late. Nearby home construction beats road and/or highrise construction noise. My neighbors are mostly respectful. And the roosters help me keep my shooting skills sharp.
        .22 cal CB caps out of a rifle make less noise than most pellet guns, and are more than enough to euthanize roosters. If you have an acre or more, and mind your backstop it's legal, and free-range roosters are delicious (though there's not much meat) and I can sell all those beautiful feathers to the craft shop.

I guess you just have to choose your spot in the country carefully. I got lucky.
        Last edited by Kaonohi; May 6, 2009, 11:17 AM. Reason: Well... I'm an editor!
        Be Yourself. Everyone Else Is Taken!
        ~ ~
        Kaʻonohiʻulaʻokahōkūmiomioʻehiku
        Spreading the virus of ALOHA.
        Oh Chu. If only you could have seen what I've seen, with your eyes.

Comment

Originally posted by scrivener View Post
          Is there anything whose ban we are pursuing with dogged determination today that will be tomorrow's distant, irrelevant memory? In the long run, was I not right in calling these laws unnecessary? Meanwhile, it's still on the books.
          As a point of information, those bikes are still here with us. Also, the 'fad' is not restricted to children - I see as many adults riding as children.

I would hope that Anything we choose to ban today will become tomorrow's distant, irrelevant memory. If only those infernal machines Were a distant memory (not yet in Ewa Beach, which is 'country' no longer), I'd be quite pleased. No, I can't agree that the laws are unnecessary, rather their enforcement should be more rigorous.
          May I always be found beneath your contempt.

Comment

all motorized bikes that are intended for use by children have been banned from sale or resale including parts as part of the consumer product safety act which became law in late february. if theis law is changed most of these bikes will go away after awhile due to wear and tear and lack of ability to fix them and most of them are made rather cheaply.

http://www.nowpublic.com/sports/mini...es-controversy
            the bigger the government the smaller the citizen.

Comment

Originally posted by Kaonohi View Post
              The goats across the street make music for my ears. The Shama Thrush singing in my back yard is a pleasant alarm clock. The peacocks seem to shut up early and rise late.
              You are definitely speaking of nature's music - which is different from "noise." Lucky you live country.

Comment

I can tell you one thing we did in the country.

Ride dirt bikes. Yup, 2 stroke screamers, like chainsaws on red bull. And then the suburbs grew out to greet us. Those nice folks called the sheriff on us once. He came, talked with my friends dad, who politely explained to the sheriff about AG land and what the rules really are. Sheriff was a nice enough guy and told all the new homeowners "Welcome to the country."
                FutureNewsNetwork.com
                Energy answers are already here.

Comment

Originally posted by scrivener View Post
                  Here we are nearly five years after all this discussion. I'm reviving this dead thread in order to inspire us to ask ourselves if all the arguing, discussing, and taxpayer money was put to good use in regulating what turned out to be a really short-lived fad. Sure, the life-span was shortened by the legislation, but is the purpose of legislation to curtail children's fads?
                  Whenever there's a question over the optimal use of a lawmaker's time (and our taxes) I consider that they could choose to get involved with issues that would be much less on both points. For example, is every ethnic/religious group going to get equal time as a result of this legislation?:
                  http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2009/...n4997108.shtml

If we subjected convicted prisoners to the same reporting & scrutiny as that imposed on the state legislature, the outcry & lawsuits would be epic. OTOH it's considerably cheaper to keep an eye on some of these politicians in the legislature than it would be to support the cost of their incarceration...

As for stern letters on non-compliant mailboxes, the other day I realized that a homeowner's association is really an insurance company, not a customer advocate. They want to collect your premiums in exchange for attempting to protect your property values. "Good" customers are the policyholders who pay and pay and pay without ever having any problems needing any customer service. But if you're found to be operating your property in an inappropriate manner then you're ticketed and your insurance rates may rise accordingly.

The HOA's response would be that what happens on city streets is a city matter, unless the miscreants happen to be revving their bikes in their driveways or illegally parked on their lawns... FWIW I consider Mililani to be a lot less worse than other HOAs.

Besides, isn't Michelle Kidani (Ron Menor's "successor") now in both the legislature and on the homeowner's board? We're getting a twofer!
                  http://www.capitol.hawaii.gov/Site1/...bers/sen17.asp
                  http://www.mililanitown.org:82/about...DMM-Jan-09.pdf
                  (Note the "Clothesline Bill" comment on page 3...)
                  Youth may be wasted on the young, but retirement is wasted on the old.
                  Live like you're dying, invest like you're immortal.
                  We grow old if we stop playing, but it's never too late to have a happy childhood.
                  Forget about who you were-- discover who you are.

Comment

Originally posted by timkona View Post
                    I can tell you one thing we did in the country.

Ride dirt bikes. Yup, 2 stroke screamers, like chainsaws on red bull. And then the suburbs grew out to greet us. Those nice folks called the sheriff on us once. He came, talked with my friends dad, who politely explained to the sheriff about AG land and what the rules really are. Sheriff was a nice enough guy and told all the new homeowners "Welcome to the country."
                    There are (or maybe just 'were?') places that allowed dirt-bike riding - in the dirt, as in "off-road." I even used to do that myself. But I never "road-tested" my bike back and forth, back and forth in front of country homes that just happened to be near the road.

I'm all for people participating in their favorite sports - in appropriate places.
                    Be Yourself. Everyone Else Is Taken!
                    ~ ~
                    Kaʻonohiʻulaʻokahōkūmiomioʻehiku
                    Spreading the virus of ALOHA.
                    Oh Chu. If only you could have seen what I've seen, with your eyes.

Comment

Working...
                    X