Thread: Beef kind of a question

Question Beef kind of a question

So what is the difference between hamburger steak and Salsbury steak (assuming I am spelling it right)?

Default Re: Beef kind of a question

I don't think there's any difference, maybe salisbury steak just sounds a little fancier...but then you have to ask "huh...wat dat"!
    Retired Senior Member

Oahu now part of the traffic problem in lower Puna

Doesn't Salisbury steak have tomato in it whereas hamburger steak doesn't?

"Doesn't Salisbury steak have tomato in it whereas hamburger steak doesn't?"

Not sure about that, would've thought the topping (which kine gravy) would have more relevance. But they are both just ground beef, so the real question is where to find a place that uses the best-quality beef instead of the slaughter-house droppings.

Do NOT expect to find first quality at Sodexho-Marriott establishments, no matter which name they use.

Maybe Salisbury steak has gravy and hamburger steak doesn't?
    Last edited by AuntieNellieKulolo; August 19th, 2004 at 02:32 AM.

Hamburger steak without gravy? What are you...communist? Nah just joking. But hamburger steak without gravy is like eating your cereal without milk. And don't forget the marbalized onions too!

I like mines with mushrooms...

Yum!

I wonder if the difference(s) might be:

• fried vs grilled or baked
    • non-meat stuff added to it (like vegtables or bread)
    • using calves for the meat source

Actually, they are one in the same. The term "Salisbury steak" came about because there was an English nutritionist named J.H. Salisbury in the late 19th Century who advocated a diet of lean meat.

Salisbury steak and gravy probably was the origin of "loco moco" which until the late 1960's, didn't exist.

Miulang

Hmmm I remember eating loco moco in preschool and that was well before the late 60's.

Quote Originally Posted by craigwatanabe
    Doesn't Salisbury steak have tomato in it whereas hamburger steak doesn't?

I think the difference here is that all the restaurants and fast food joints I been to sell hamburger steak as "hamburger steak." The only place I ever see it billed as "Salisbury Steak" is in the frozen convenience foods department of my local supermarket where the thing is sold as a packaged convenience food.
    I'm still here. Are you?

Quote Originally Posted by craigwatanabe
    Hmmm I remember eating loco moco in preschool and that was well before the late 60's.
    I don't think it existed "formally" as a fast food item, though. Or maybe it's because there was no L&L back then. When I was still living in the 'aina (until the mid 1960's), there was nothing on any menu in any restaurant on Maui that was called "loco moco." There always was "hamburger steak" with gravy, but I think it was Sam Choy who put "loco moco" on the menu.

Miulang

Quote Originally Posted by Miulang
    I don't think it existed "formally" as a fast food item, though. Or maybe it's because there was no L&L back then. When I was still living in the 'aina (until the mid 1960's), there was nothing on any menu in any restaurant on Maui that was called "loco moco." There always was "hamburger steak" with gravy, but I think it was Sam Choy who put "loco moco" on the menu.

Miulang
    The legend of Salisbury Steak:

http://www.salisburypost.com/2001may/050601post.htm

The legend of "loco-moco" :

http://www.tropi-ties.com/ezine/oct0...sten/text.html
    Last edited by Panzo; August 22nd, 2004 at 03:26 PM.

I believe "loco moco" precedes Sam Choy. He's not that old. Loco moco is an old island favorite at least on Oahu.

Quote Originally Posted by Panzo

Thanks for the loco moco link. I'm glad someone else recognizes the fact that Loco Moco is a very old island favorite. However the link's mentioning of Cafe 100 in Hilo serving of Loco Moco needs some clarification. Their dish lacks taste. I've tasted better versions at Diners in Honolulu. They use those frozen patties instead of fresh hamburger.

Thanks for the loco-moco link. I've sent itto my brother who lives in San Jose. he bases his judgement of a "local' style eatery on loco-moco. He's tried most of the L&L's in the N. Ca. area and also the places called Hawaiian BBQ. He also likes mac salad and "judges" them too. I didn't realize that loco-moco as a main dish was originated a long time ago. Mahalo.
    Retired Senior Member