Beef kind of a question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Beef kind of a question

So what is the difference between hamburger steak and Salsbury steak (assuming I am spelling it right)?

Re: Beef kind of a question

I don't think there's any difference, maybe salisbury steak just sounds a little fancier...but then you have to ask "huh...wat dat"!
    Retired Senior Member

Comment

Doesn't Salisbury steak have tomato in it whereas hamburger steak doesn't?
      Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

"Doesn't Salisbury steak have tomato in it whereas hamburger steak doesn't?"

Not sure about that, would've thought the topping (which kine gravy) would have more relevance. But they are both just ground beef, so the real question is where to find a place that uses the best-quality beef instead of the slaughter-house droppings.

Do NOT expect to find first quality at Sodexho-Marriott establishments, no matter which name they use.

Comment

Maybe Salisbury steak has gravy and hamburger steak doesn't?
          Last edited by AuntieNellieKulolo; August 19, 2004, 02:32 AM.

Comment

Hamburger steak without gravy? What are you...communist? Nah just joking. But hamburger steak without gravy is like eating your cereal without milk. And don't forget the marbalized onions too!

Comment

I like mines with mushrooms...

Yum!

Comment

I wonder if the difference(s) might be:
                • fried vs grilled or baked
                • non-meat stuff added to it (like vegtables or bread)
                • using calves for the meat source

Comment

Actually, they are one in the same. The term "Salisbury steak" came about because there was an English nutritionist named J.H. Salisbury in the late 19th Century who advocated a diet of lean meat.

Salisbury steak and gravy probably was the origin of "loco moco" which until the late 1960's, didn't exist.

Miulang
                  "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

Hmmm I remember eating loco moco in preschool and that was well before the late 60's.

Comment

Originally posted by craigwatanabe
                      Doesn't Salisbury steak have tomato in it whereas hamburger steak doesn't?

I think the difference here is that all the restaurants and fast food joints I been to sell hamburger steak as "hamburger steak." The only place I ever see it billed as "Salisbury Steak" is in the frozen convenience foods department of my local supermarket where the thing is sold as a packaged convenience food.
                      I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

Originally posted by craigwatanabe
                        Hmmm I remember eating loco moco in preschool and that was well before the late 60's.
                        I don't think it existed "formally" as a fast food item, though. Or maybe it's because there was no L&L back then. When I was still living in the 'aina (until the mid 1960's), there was nothing on any menu in any restaurant on Maui that was called "loco moco." There always was "hamburger steak" with gravy, but I think it was Sam Choy who put "loco moco" on the menu.

Miulang
                        "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by Miulang
                          I don't think it existed "formally" as a fast food item, though. Or maybe it's because there was no L&L back then. When I was still living in the 'aina (until the mid 1960's), there was nothing on any menu in any restaurant on Maui that was called "loco moco." There always was "hamburger steak" with gravy, but I think it was Sam Choy who put "loco moco" on the menu.

Miulang
                          The legend of Salisbury Steak:

http://www.salisburypost.com/2001may/050601post.htm

The legend of "loco-moco" :

http://www.tropi-ties.com/ezine/oct0...sten/text.html
                          Last edited by Panzo; August 22, 2004, 03:26 PM.

Comment

I believe "loco moco" precedes Sam Choy. He's not that old. Loco moco is an old island favorite at least on Oahu.

Comment

Originally posted by Panzo

Thanks for the loco moco link. I'm glad someone else recognizes the fact that Loco Moco is a very old island favorite. However the link's mentioning of Cafe 100 in Hilo serving of Loco Moco needs some clarification. Their dish lacks taste. I've tasted better versions at Diners in Honolulu. They use those frozen patties instead of fresh hamburger.

Comment

Working...
                              X