Whither Kakaako?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Whither Kakaako?

There are a lot of headlines lately about planned development in Kakaako. Several new residential towers planned, most seeking exceptions to rules on height, setbacks, density...

"More than 12,000 people now live in the 450-acre region bordered by Ala Moana, Punchbowl, South King and Piikoi streets," noted HawaiiNewsNow. "But by the year 2018, the population is expected to grow to 22,000."

On one hand, concentrating housing adjacent to downtown and urban Honolulu makes sense. After decades of trying to build out a 'second city' in Kapolei, most of the people who live there still cram the roads to head into town. And with highrises in Waikiki and highrises in downtown Honolulu, Kakaako wouldn't exactly be blacking out the sky any more than you already see along the south shore.

But there are definitely reasonable concerns over population density, infrastructure, transportation, and open spaces. It's odd that we have carefully crafted rules to make sure buildings aren't too close to each other, aren't too close to the street, aren't too tall... and yet developers are essentially asking to exceed them anyway.

If we'll always need more housing, and development to serve that demand will manifest somewhere on Oahu, is Kakaako the right place?
    Last edited by pzarquon; June 21, 2013, 09:40 PM.

Re: Whither Kakaako?

Yes, and if it's done smartly, Kakaako could become something that Kapolei was never designed from the beginning to be: a pleasant, livable, workable, playable, mixed-use space that encourages people to get out of their cars.

If you've ever been to the really cool parts of downtown Seattle and Portland, you know how great it was to park your car in one spot and spend the day doing everything you wanted to do on foot. Close-together buildings, wide sidewalks, eaves that stretch over sidewalks, public benches and tables, narrow streets, open recreational areas, retailers, manufacturers, service providers, apartments, hotels, exhibition and meeting spaces, offices, and other businesses built close-enough together near municipal parking structures or lots to get people out on sidewalks and off streets.

As much as you disliked Jeremy Harris (and I get it, I get it!), he had something of a vision like this for several areas of Honolulu. He was just awful at selling it for some reason, and that's a shame, because what he started to do on Waialae Avenue, with the sidewalk-widening, didn't go far enough and he ran out of public momentum to carry out his plan. Kakaako is a pretty good second choice for a space like this because so much of that space is in need of making over anyway, and there's a nice young-people's vibe springing up in that area.

Although really, you Kakaako developers: have you noticed that there aren't any public bike racks? Something seems amiss there.
    But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
    GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

It's total greed BS insanity.
      There is nothing to gain by repeating the absurdly stupid mistakes that destroyed Waikiki for the sake of a few mega hoteliers/developers with $$$ and influence over our crap politicos that keep allowing the mismanagement and ruination of our town. We need a sensibly redeveloped Kakaako for the local Joe as a relief from what is just down the road on each side, not adding to the skyline obliteration, density, traffic, heat, and overpriced goods that will certainly come with serving only the wealthy while ignoring everybody else (as usual).
      https://www.facebook.com/Bobby-Ingan...5875444640256/

Comment

As a former Urban Planner in my youth for a community in California, all of the three viewpoints and arguments above have validity and make sense. Urban Planning must walk a fine line to protect and preserve the public health, safety, and welfare. I can say that it would make no sense for me to offer my opinion on the best course of planning action regarding Kakaako without first being privy to a lot of data (available to the public if you can stand the dry statistics and background information), the specific development proposals, and the approved urban master plan for the area.

I do take comfort in knowing that the community I worked for some 50 years ago is today voted by many publications as being the "best" and "most livable" communities in the US and was selected the "happiest town in the United States" by a notable television personality. I would like to think I had some very small part in creating that community.
        Peace, Love, and Local Grindz

People who form FIRM opinions with so little knowledge only pretend to be open-minded. They select their facts like food from a buffet. David R. Dow

Comment

Originally posted by matapule View Post
          I do take comfort in knowing that the community I worked for some 50 years ago is today voted by many publications as being the "best" and "most livable" communities in the US and was selected the "happiest town in the United States" by a notable television personality. I would like to think I had some very small part in creating that community.
          Sounds like Davis, CA to me. Don't know why I left (except for my 'mission).

If that was the case, congrats! Good job! Friendliest town in the world.
          Be Yourself. Everyone Else Is Taken!
          ~ ~
          Kaʻonohiʻulaʻokahōkūmiomioʻehiku
          Spreading the virus of ALOHA.
          Oh Chu. If only you could have seen what I've seen, with your eyes.

Comment

The happiest place in California I've ever been is the Castro in San Francisco, and I mean literally happy, not...the other thing. Although that's obviously true too. And yeah: that's another pedestrian-friendly, mixed-use neighborhood.
            But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
            GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

Thank god a sensible mind with some power has stepped in at our capital and proposed bills that will curtail the HCDA's unrestrained goals to ruin Kakaako http://www.staradvertiser.com/s?acti...y&id=241935611
              State Majority Leader, Scott Saiki has introduced 8 bills that would repeal the HCDA and basically cuff abuses that our Gov. and too many others like Brickwood Galuteria (who grew up in Kakaako) support. The shocking photo on the SA's front page alone should scare more residents sufficiently into demanding an end to this giveaway of our town to savage $$$ developers and away from their political pocket dweller's advantages.

Comment

http://www.staradvertiser.com/s?acti...1&id=242531011
                In today's SA, members of Kaka'ako United http://www.kakaakounited.org/ Sharon Moriwaki and Bernard Nunies broadside the wholesale cronie giveaways of the area by the HCDA and their pals in the City Council and capital about how it's been ignoring the community that has long been living and working there in favor of the one the HCDA wants to replace them with, most of whom potentially aren't even Hawaii residents. They recall the rouge council members of the '70s and how Waikiki was ruined by them and now it's happening all over again in Kaka'ako with no concerns towards proper planning or dialog.

Comment

http://www.staradvertiser.com/s?acti...y&id=242717771
                  And now OHA joins the 'destroy what's left of Oahu's South shore' movement of greed insanity while hiding behind other Hawaiians. People really need to rise up and shut this shit down for good. Vote out all who support completely ruining Honolulu's waterfront with overdevelopment and bad design.

Comment

Anyone heard of the insane proposal towards building high rises on Kakaako Makai land without driving pilings?
                    It's completely unstable land that barely covers the old landfill's top and is full of all kinds of nasties that as a collective can't sustain much pressure and intrusion. If true, that anyone would consider a Presidential Library or much of anything in this vulnerable tsunami zone shows how the 'develop now no matter whatsies' are all about exploiting for profit not caring of the costs to the community.

Comment

Working...
                    X