Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Snowden/NSA

http://techinamerica.com/2013/06/26/...flight-booked/

I wonder what movie he saw that he would live at an airport.

Comment

I guess it all depends on whether you trust your own government.

Do you?

I haven't seen much trustworthy coming out of our government in many years.
      Be Yourself. Everyone Else Is Taken!
      ~ ~
      Kaʻonohiʻulaʻokahōkūmiomioʻehiku
      Spreading the virus of ALOHA.
      Oh Chu. If only you could have seen what I've seen, with your eyes.

Comment

The most informed as to this sort of situation are usually service staff.

The capsule hotel has cooks, bellboys and janitors.

Those folks would no doubt know a lot.

After all, thats their job.

Comment

Some commentator pointed out that people in the past who have engaged in civil disobedience accepted jail as consequence of their acts. Ellsberg, Martin Luther King, Gandhi, and others all disobeyed authority but accepted the consequences. Snowden does not.

On the plus side for him, it is good that US allies have now been informed that the US was spying on them, too. As a general rule, doing what the USSR did has never been a good idea.

Comment

It is an unfortunate world that closes its boundaries to sleuths.

Truth is a gas that will always leak out eventually.

Hopefully the presence of numerous correspondents in the wild

will encourage cheaper room service.

Comment

Edward Snowden Poll Finds More Americans Now Think He Did The Wrong Thing

“If you're not careful, the newspapers will have you hating the people who are being oppressed, and loving the people who are doing the oppressing.”

― Malcolm X

Originally posted by Kalalau View Post
              Some commentator pointed out that people in the past who have engaged in civil disobedience accepted jail as consequence of their acts. Ellsberg, Martin Luther King, Gandhi, and others all disobeyed authority but accepted the consequences. Snowden does not.

On the plus side for him, it is good that US allies have now been informed that the US was spying on them, too. As a general rule, doing what the USSR did has never been a good idea.
              I'd put Mandela on that list, too.

From what I understand, Snowden faces life in prison. After the torture and other inhumane treatment of Bradley Manning, I think there's a legitimate reason to be adverse to facing the music. He already gave up a great life to disclose all this, and I'm surprised that relatively few Americans even care that the freedoms our forefathers fought and died for are being compromised. And they aren't just being compromised by government agents, they're being compromised by private corporate contractors. In this case, they entrusted a great deal of privilege to a high school dropout.

Facing the apathy of Americans from a Moscow airport, possibly for the rest of his life, should be more than sufficient punishment (in the context of those who believe Snowden should have faced criminal charges in the USA). If they want to prosecute the man, then I think Director of National Intelligence James Clapper should be prosecuted for perjury, too. If we want to prosecute people who broke "the law", or even the color of law, then let's prosecute everyone who did so, not just the ones who didn't agree with the agenda of secret surveillance (with the aid of private corporate corporations).

Best case scenario: Snowden is either exonerated, or given a light sentence, along with James Clapper; and our intelligence gathering apparatus, etc. is severely reformed.

Comment

Vanguard, it is good to hear from you. Where have you been?
                Peace, Love, and Local Grindz

People who form FIRM opinions with so little knowledge only pretend to be open-minded. They select their facts like food from a buffet. David R. Dow

Comment

Originally posted by matapule View Post
                  Vanguard, it is good to hear from you. Where have you been?
                  It's good to hear from you too, Matapule. I am glad you and others here are still posting!

I've been incredibly busy! While I wouldn't call it good busy, it was most certainly educational.

I'm going to need an outstanding vacation when I'm totally out of the woods.

Comment

Originally posted by Vanguard View Post
                    Best case scenario: Snowden is either exonerated, or given a light sentence, along with James Clapper; and our intelligence gathering apparatus, etc. is severely reformed.
                    Since when is telling the truth a punishable offense? Oh, right, when it flows against the status quo.
                    ~ ~

Comment

Originally posted by Kaonohi View Post
                      Since when is telling the truth a punishable offense? Oh, right, when it flows against the status quo.
                      No, it's when it's against the law.
                      Greg

Comment

Re: Snowden/NSA - telling the truth

Originally posted by GregLee View Post
                        Sounds familiar.... Oh yes! 1930's Germany!
                        ~ ~

Comment

Re: Snowden/NSA - telling the truth

Originally posted by Kaonohi View Post
                          Originally posted by GregLee
                          Sounds familiar.... Oh yes! 1930's Germany!
                          Or most anywhere else. Didn't you read your question? "Since when is telling the truth a punishable offense?" Acts that are against the law are punishable offenses -- it's a tautology. There is a dispute about whether Snowden ought to be punished, but no dispute about whether he broke the law.
                          Greg

Comment

At one time "The Law" said slavery was legal.

That which is ethical and righteous has often been illegal.

Comment

Originally posted by Vanguard View Post
                              Dang, nice post, v.
                              Funny how Clapper's lie isn't getting more focus, it was an absurd moment. But it's just another sad chapter in our media and country's history.
                              Amazing, how we've watched as our Union went from one of promise to having a fork in it.
                              https://www.facebook.com/Bobby-Ingan...5875444640256/

Comment

Have we all been fooled by Snowden? Sounds like a bit of a flake, a loose cannon: http://www.addictinginfo.org/2013/07...dward-snowden/

Comment

Working...
                                X